Multi-questions: Multitasking, battery life, and customizing etc

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I was going to be getting the webOS HP 7" touchpad when it released but in light of the news yesterday this is obvious that they weren't in production, as the blogging around the internet had been convinced of, since they are not being offered in the firesale like everything else webOS hardware from HP. And the likelihood of a 7" tablet built for webOS and released any time in the next year or two is a pipe dream I think. But anyways I liked the idea of having a tablet and my reasons for the 7" webOS one was I still think it's user experience is best (please no arguments on this point in thread discussion) and the smaller than my 10" netbook size for those times when I don't need my netbook for certain situations and where my smartphone just wouldn't cut it.

So with all that said here are my questions prioritized from most to least important:

How is the multistasking? I have had my epic 4G for almost a year now and the number one thing that bothers me and I simply see no way of making it work the way I want is multitasking. The main thing that drives me crazy is when I switch apps. I have app A open and hit the home button to open or switch to app B do stuff in it and then hit the home button to go back to app A. Almost always it is as if the app were never open. Examples browser has to load the page(s) again when switched to (even 3rd party ones), google docs makes me scroll to the top of the doc and click edit again, twitter refreshes and almost always puts me at the top of the timeline so I have to scroll down to find where I left off, podcasts pause themselves forcing me to swiich to the app and hit play again. Other apps always simply reset themselves as if they were closed and I was opening them again. The only app that I can say doesn't have multitasking issues is google reader. With webOS I could open more apps than I do on my epic 4G (which typically is 3-4) and have no worry at all that the app wouldn't be just like I left it. And that is precisely what I want just like using my PC and netbook. The cards (windows like) design of the multitasking was icing on the cake for efficient, familiar, natural switching.

How is the battery life? I figure I will get one with wifi only. These carriers are insane with the data prices. My home internet costs $30 a month and I get 500GB before paying overages. Anyways I would like to get 24 hours (aka a long full day) with moderately heavy use. Example when I spent a weekend touring Chicago I used the GPS while on foot for around 2-3 hours. Looked up phone numbers, location info, pulled up related webpages, used twitter etc to share things, etc. Screen was on for a lot more than a typical day.

How about customization? ROMs etc. On my epic 4G I use ADWlauncherEX which is my main source of customization. The other for behind the scenes stuff is SFR1.2 with genocide kernel. The ROM basically removed all the unwanted junk (visible and hidden). and the kernel provides improved performance in combination with the ROM I guess you could say. Then there are a couple apps that require root to alter memory management so I don't have to worry about a bunch of stuff loading up by themselves and staying since the altered memory management stops the stuff from ever doing that.

And lastly what about apps will every app I use on my epic be available for the tablet? Including apps I bought so that I don't have to pay again since I already own them. I can list all of the apps if need be but there are a lot of them.

Thanks much for any info etc anyone can provide me to see if buying one is something I want to do.