Android Market on Wi-Fi only version?

vladk.ru

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone heard if the wi-fi only version will include the Android marketplace? I really don't want to shell out the extra $130 for the 3G T-Mobile version.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I would assume it would. What reason would they have to leave it out? The Android Market is an important piece of the Android experience.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
That leads me to another question. I was just looking at the Viewsonic G Tablet and it looks REALLY solid. However it doesnt have the market. Could you sideload AppBrain?

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think that some Android tablets are going to be release without Marketplace. As long as you can side load AppBrain, they should be fine.

vladk.ru

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep, no mobile radio or GPS means Google won't allow Android Marketplace. If I remember correctly, they also don't allow some of their apps as well. The only workaround I see for the Galaxy Tab is if Samsung includes the radio but it's permanently disabled.

vladk.ru

May 17, 2010
Visit site
thats what puzzles me... why would they purposefully handicap the device!?

Google doesn't want any of the currently available versions of Android to be on tablets. Samsung can't add Google services unless the device has the required hardware (mobile radio+GPS).

PS: Cheburashka rules!

krstphr

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that some Android tablets are going to be release without Marketplace. As long as you can side load AppBrain, they should be fine.

I might be wrong, but doesn't the AppBrain app just link to the Marketplace app? At least it appears to on my device. Or they just look extremely similar.