Checked out the Tab Today

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
So, I finally made it down to my local Best Buy to check out the Tab today. Walked in the door and was wandering around trying to find one, the iPad was prominently displayed in a main aisle but the Tab was nowhere to be found.

After a while a Best Buy associate approached and asked if he could help. Told him I was looking for a Galaxy Tab and his response was to look at me like I had two heads. He started leading me back towards computers, but then stopped and said "Yeah, we don't have those yet".

So I said thanks and walked away, and 30 seconds later found two display models in a back corner behind the cell phones. Nice placement and support.

Anyway, I spent about a half hour playing with the Tab and it was all I could do to keep myself from pulling out the credit card and making an impulse purchase. Very nice and, as I've always thought, just the right size for a tablet device.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar expierence at OfficeMax. They didn't have their display unit for the Sprint version out. How do you sell a highly anticipated device and not have a unit out on display?

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
All Best Buys will have them in the mobile phone section. At my local store they are prominently displayed at the front of the mobile section.

jackitoday

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy in Menifee CA had them in cell phones, but no one knew anything about them. They said the price was 599, I said but what about with a contract, they said -- no that was the price with the contract. It was very disappointing.

rm2092

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just looked at some reviews on u-tube and correct me if i'm wrong but t-mobile's version has 5 screens and sprint's has 3 screens ? Im not going to buy one with a contract so Im not sure who I should buy one from ?

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I just looked at some reviews on u-tube and correct me if i'm wrong but t-mobile's version has 5 screens and sprint's has 3 screens ? Im not going to buy one with a contract so Im not sure who I should buy one from ?

I was looking at one in the Verizon store today and it appears you can edit the number of home screens which is pretty cool. In fact, I added a widget that wouldn't fit on the screen I was on and it automatically added a new home screen and put the widget there instead. Not sure how many are allowed.

I was thinking of buying the Verizon version in the hopes that you'll be able to get NFL on it at some point in the future, but I think Sprint has the cheapest service if you even need it.

ConceptVBS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at one in the Verizon store today and it appears you can edit the number of home screens which is pretty cool. In fact, I added a widget that wouldn't fit on the screen I was on and it automatically added a new home screen and put the widget there instead. Not sure how many are allowed.

I was thinking of buying the Verizon version in the hopes that you'll be able to get NFL on it at some point in the future, but I think Sprint has the cheapest service if you even need it.

You can add a total of 9 home screens.

jaffanz

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
why if a guy doesn't have a bloody clue are they put at front of stores to assist? its like baton-relay except i'm the poor tourist getting passed around. must be US thing.

tehshank

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The Tab has hit the sweetspot in terms of sizing. It rocks! I use it with a stere bluetooth headset to listen to music, take calls and what not.

envoynv

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Priced too high?

Is there anyone out there besides myself that thinks the price on this thing is set too high?

I spent a solid 30 minutes playing with this at Best Buy and I love this tablet. But come on, $399 with a 2 year contract. The monthly cost is $29.99. That is roughly $720 for the two year period add that to the $400 the total cost is $1120. That is insane.

Lets say you pony up the cash for a month to month, that is $600 bucks. Seriously, you can get a fully functional laptop for that cost.

Sad thing is I LOVE this tablet and Android, but with a good conscientious I can not drop that amount of money on that table.

Does anyone agree?

rm2092

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok I just spent 30 min in Bestbuy again playing with the tab so I ended up buying it and if in 30 days i don't like it ill return it witch just might be tomorrow. My review so far it feels like a big Android phone, the web is not as smooth as the iPad plus the touch of apps are not as smooth, I just don't know yet so so far it will go back in the morning ???

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyone out there besides myself that thinks the price on this thing is set too high?

I spent a solid 30 minutes playing with this at Best Buy and I love this tablet. But come on, $399 with a 2 year contract. The monthly cost is $29.99. That is roughly $720 for the two year period add that to the $400 the total cost is $1120. That is insane.

Lets say you pony up the cash for a month to month, that is $600 bucks. Seriously, you can get a fully functional laptop for that cost.

Sad thing is I LOVE this tablet and Android, but with a good conscientious I can not drop that amount of money on that table.

Does anyone agree?

Yes and no. You can get a laptop for that price, but time is money and you won't be using your laptop as often I'm guessing. I will spend more time on the Tab than on my laptop guaranteed. Having had it for a few days, I've taken it everywhere and used it all day long constantly. I never used a laptop like that, they just aren't suited for quick use. So in that sense you are getting your money's worth.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone agree?

It's not a laptop. Completely different device. It's closer to being an iPad (and isn't really even a good comparison because of the substantial difference in screen size and other features). If you need a laptop, you will not be happy with the Tab.

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone agree?

Well, first off, getting it on contract isn't necessary so you can have one for $600 outright.

Beyond that, I don't understand why people are so comfortable paying a little more for an iPad based on size alone. Less outright hardware features and restricted to iTunes for everything. And if it's just size, how much does a 3.5" iPhone (or any other device) cost you over two years on contract?

That said, it will come down. Seems I'm seeing deals on iPads everywhere lately and Samsung will have to follow. Competition is good.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, first off, getting it on contract isn't necessary so you can have one for $600 outright.

Beyond that, I don't understand why people are so comfortable paying a little more for an iPad based on size alone. Less outright hardware features and restricted to iTunes for everything. And if it's just size, how much does a 3.5" iPhone (or any other device) cost you over two years on contract?

That said, it will come down. Seems I'm seeing deals on iPads everywhere lately and Samsung will have to follow. Competition is good.

Where have you seen deals on iPads? Besides Marshalls/TJMaxx "unauthorized, unadvertised sale"...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463