Configuration of WiFi-Only Tablet

Guitar4Him

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
If you compare the various, Galaxy Tabs currently available (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint & TMobile) it becomes obvious that there are fairly significant differences between the way they are configured. There are differences in memory, accessibility to Bluetooth keyboards and mice, DivX compatibility, etc. Has there been any info available as to how the WiFi-only Tab is going to be configured, when available? I'm waiting for one of these but I'm concerned that it will end up configured in some manner that I won't like and I would have been better to have gotten one of the currently-available models (probably the TMobile version) and not waited so long....I want one bad....

Ken

Upright

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Great question. I too am waiting for the WiFi only version....I had the Verizon version but took it back because I couldn't justify the price when I don't want a 3g service plan.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think there has been any leaked information about the Wifi only version of the tab as of yet. Were all going to have to wait and see.

rinnr1

Press ALT-F4 to see nudes
May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for this too. I have a Droid X don't need a Tab with 3G and pay the extra on my cell phone bill either..

Of course a 4G Tab might be interesting but still probably only want a Wifi only one

rinnr1

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Depending on how long I have to wait for it I might crack and get a...........................

IPAD!! eek!!!

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Great question. I too am waiting for the WiFi only version....I had the Verizon version but took it back because I couldn't justify the price when I don't want a 3g service plan.

You can cancel the 3g plan after the first month and use it wifi-only if you buy the Verizon Tab from Best Buy right now. And then renew/cancel the plan whenever you want (though you may get a different phone number assigned to your Tab every time you do).

Upright

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You can cancel the 3g plan after the first month and use it wifi-only if you buy the Verizon Tab from Best Buy right now. And then renew/cancel the plan whenever you want (though you may get a different phone number assigned to your Tab every time you do).

Yeah,...I'm on the fence about this right now. The $499 dollar price point is just up my alley. I would purchase this in a heartbeat If I was sure it was going to get the Honeycomb OS update....I think it's a safe bet to wait until after CES to make my decision.

ChrisS#AC

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
So which will come first, wi-fi only or the next gen tab?
I'm tempted to hold out for the 10" version, but I also don't want to pay for a cell service I'm not going to use, since I have my own (free) wi-fi at home..

Guitar4Him

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm the OP.....just wanted to give an update. I broke down and got a T-Mobile Tab. They had a good sale going this past weekend. Actually, now that I have a Tab with 3G, I'm actually glad I got it configured this way. Always having to turn on the wireless tether on my Droid X when I'm not around wifi would get annoying. Unfortunately, here in the central part of NC, T-Mobile's 3G sucks, compared to Verizon. However, it always seems to have Edge available when the 3G coverage is lacking.

My advice....if you see a good deal on a Tab....especially a T-Mobile, get it....you won't regret it.

Ken

Reactions: Upright

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm the OP.....just wanted to give an update. I broke down and got a T-Mobile Tab. They had a good sale going this past weekend. Actually, now that I have a Tab with 3G, I'm actually glad I got it configured this way. Always having to turn on the wireless tether on my Droid X when I'm not around wifi would get annoying. Unfortunately, here in the central part of NC, T-Mobile's 3G sucks, compared to Verizon. However, it always seems to have Edge available when the 3G coverage is lacking.

My advice....if you see a good deal on a Tab....especially a T-Mobile, get it....you won't regret it.

Ken

So what was the good deal?

Upright

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

Ken

Just sent you a message,...check your inbox.

rinnr1

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to hold out.. If they are going to do a Galaxy Tab 2 then that will probably have Honeycomp which is rumored to have a lot more TAB oriented software in it to make the experience better..

Hopefully CES gives us a January release date for the Motorola Tab or the next gen Galaxy Tab.. :)

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
You can buy one from ebay like I did. The person who had it for a few months had the sprint tab so I got it w/out having to activate it. Plus some of the tabs can have the activation bypassed or just root it and freeze the sprint activitation file.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci