SwiftKey on Galaxy Tab is astounding

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I had been using the stock froyo keyboard on my Evo and loved it, but there isn't one available for the Tab (at least, unrooted), so I used Swype and tried to get into it. I liked it at first, but it was ultimately not my cup of tea. After reading the editors of this site recommending SwiftKey, I decided to give it another shot.

IT IS MIND-BLOWING.

Okay, text prediction aside, the keyboard is remarkably responsive. On the Galaxy Tab, typing is ridiculously fast, comparable to a Blackberry keyboard. Whatever WPM you pulled off on a BB keyboard could be pulled off on the Galaxy Tab with Swiftkey without breaking a sweat.

But the text prediction is wild. Not only does it predict words by the letters you input, but it also guesses words by the context of your sentence. There are many words that just pop up as suggested without even entering a letter. And unlike other predictive keyboards that make it tough to type words that aren't in the dictionary, Swiftkey will always allow you to pick the odd word you're typing and without bothering you about entering it into the dictionary. I tried Swiftkey a while ago and dumped it because it only suggested three words instead of the four or five you get with stock froyo. But what I didn't realize back then was that it really only gives you two choices since the left choice is exactly what you are typing and not a suggestion -- however, there is a better chance that those two words are the ones that you're looking for than the four or five stock froyo gives you.

But in the end, it's the speed of the keyboard that impresses me the most. I could probably get by without the word suggestion because the typing is so fast. And with the roomy Galaxy Tab screen, it's very easy to hit every key you're pecking at.

Oh, and I was so impressed, I installed it on my Evo as well.

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd go back to swiftkey if it had a fully customizable theme like ultra keyboards, as well as the tracing feature. I guess I'm just too into aesthetics or something, but I can't stand looking at any keyboards now other than the theme I made. LOL

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I also love Swiftkey on both my Tab and EVO. However since the last Market UI interface I get a strange behavior on the Tab. With Android Market open and trying to enter text to search - some of the typed characters disappear.

This only occurs when unit is in landscape mode.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I see the same behavior in landscape as well. I don't like typing in landscape mode anyway, but thanks for the heads up. Definitely a glitch.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been using SwiftKey on my Tab and EVO as well. It rocks on both devices!

Sent from my SGH-I987 using Tapatalk

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd go back to swiftkey if it had a fully customizable theme like ultra keyboards...
No one who is in the beta could say if the new beta will support themes but that would sure be a feature everyone would want to see right.

If you sign up for the new SwiftKey Keyboard Beta Program at SwiftKey VIP, you could see if theme options are being added. :)

It is still open as of this morning.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I use several different keyboards, depending on how much I am typing. If I do a lot of typing in landscape mode, I prefer Thumb keyboard, as it splits the keyboard and makes it easier to reach the keys while holding on to the Tab.

rogeratm

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have SwiftKey on both my Epic and my Tab. I love it. I also downloaded and installed the new Beta but the prediction on that is not good, so I reverted to the original SwiftKey until the next beta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret