Pros and Cons of the Tab?

bocaccio13

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I am gonna go get a tab when i get off work today. Can you tell me the good and bad about it? I already have an EVO and know that i like android os. Ram included? How much can you add? Easy to root? Goto any website and stream content?

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
pro its android its easy to use its has a nice big screen and runs pretty well. with z4 root its easy to root. the only con i have found is that theres not a whole lot in the way of development for it officially or unofficially. there seems to be a lot in the works but nothing has really dropped for it. so if you are looking for roms and gingerbread or honeycomb... who knows when anything... if anything will be around for it.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Pro is portability.

U can stream many web videos. Noteble exception is hulu and netflix. But again, thats a problem with all android devices.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't think z4root works after the previous update. SuperOneClick does. Check some of the other threads about that one.

I think it is a great device. With my tab and LogMeIn, I have ditched my laptop, and work from my tab, controlling my desktop in my office.

Radamand

May 26, 2010
Visit site
z4root does not appear to work for all GTabs. but superoneclick still worked for mine.

Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would just stick with the Nook color and wait for the community to get flash working.

But, now that I see the latest announcement for the new Wifi only GTab 8.9, I think I am going to sell my GTab and wait for the new one.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
the galaxy tab is slow, freezes up all the time and the operating system on it is horrible.
I put my tab in a drawer and am now using the xoom, night and day difference.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
you dont have to have the same opinion, if yours is not sluggish, app's freeze up and so on, then your lucky or in denial.
Heck, when I went to the verizon store to get the xoom, they had a samsung tab right next to it and my daughter started playing birds on it and it froze up on her, I told the sales guy... "thats the reason I am here looking at this one"

the tab does not need gingerbread, it needs honycomb, if you have any doubts, pick up a xoom and give it a run.

The tab has the hardware to be really good, samsung just wanted to get to market so they put froyo on it, the tab could be so much better.

BTW I have the moto X, the Ipad (1), the samsung tab and the moto xoom, so I am speaking from some experience.

Really?

Anyone else have this same opinion?

rohdawgeleven

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
you dont have to have the same opinion, if yours is not sluggish, app's freeze up and so on, then your lucky or in denial.

BTW I have the moto X, the Ipad (1), the samsung tab and the moto xoom, so I am speaking from some experience.

Guess I'm lucky. Mine has never frozen, with LauncherPro it is FAR from sluggish and the only app that locked up on me was a beta app I side-loaded (well aware of the risk when I tried it)...not luck and I'm not in denial.

As long as we're submitting credentials I have a rooted Incredible running a custom ROM, moto xoom, a thunderbolt and the samsung tab.

Maybe your experience hasn't been great but it is a good device. You have to know what you want and know what you want it to do before you buy it. Froyo runs fine on it, if we see Gingerbread...that would be a bonus in my book. Superoneclick works...z4root comes and goes and there hasn't been a peep out of the developer lately.

THERE ARE DIFFERENCES with the Samsung Tab between carriers and how they handle custom ROMS etc....

I use dolphinHD as opposed to the stock browser, much better than stock.

Fattie McDoogles mentioned that there hasn't been a lot of development going on , which is true. But there is some going on and what is out there is pretty good. Check XDA and make sure you're searching for your carriers versions.

Finally, the launching of new samsung tabs can only mean good things for devlopment.

I recently tried DVDCatalyst to rip movies and put them the samsung tab, works like a charm.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've said it before and I'll say it again: rooting the Tab is almost mandatory. After that, install One Click Lag Fix. No more lag, freezing, hiccups... nothing. That's the opinion of me, a Tab lover. Once I did that, my Tab has been phenomenal (well, that plus a few other things I've added). I even made my home screen look like Honeycomb; I love it so much, that I'm not even sure I want to upgrade to HC any more even if it becomes available! I think any sluggishness in the UI is a direct result of Touchwiz, because the Tab's hardware can still hold its own.

Everywhere I go, the Tab is with me, and I get a LOT of questions about it.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
you should not have to root it and install app's to make it run the way its suppose to, I dont have to do that to my xoom and it just blazes right along

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
you should not have to root it and install app's to make it run the way its suppose to, I dont have to do that to my xoom and it just blazes right along

I agree with you, but it is what it is. The Tab has very nice hardware marred by crappy software. Software can be fixed; hardware...not so much. Based on some of the Xoom reviews I've read, I'd be modding that puppy too.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I love mine. The only tablet I'm interested in at this point is the Flyer on Sprint. Love the size.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance