I'm thinking about buying a used Verizon Galaxy Tab that I would use for Wifi only. I have an unrooted (non-rooted?) Droid Incredible phone and will probably upgrade to a 4G phone when my contract is up.

I have seen some apps in the Android Market that allow you to use your phone as a wi-fi hotspot. Can this be done even if you are not rooted? If I understand correctly, the Tablet would then be able to use my phone's data plan and access the internet anywhere I get 3G service.

When I eventually do upgrade to a 4G phone, if I tether the tablet to my phone, would the connection be faster? I.E.- I'm assuming the tablet's internet speed will be dependent on the speed of the phone so when I switch to Verizon's faster service, I would also have a faster dowload speeds on the Tablet?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give me.
    04-14-2011 02:31 PM
    You must root your phone before it can be used as a hot spot, unless you pay the rediculous verizon rates. I rooted mine and am using a free app called quick settings to use my phone as a free wifi. There are several programs out there that can root your phone, just google something like root for android.
    04-14-2011 04:40 PM
    Here is how to wifi tether the Incredible (without root!):

[HOWTO] Tether natively - Android Forums
    Amyshubby likes this.
    04-14-2011 10:44 PM
    Thanks for the info! My Galaxy Tab should arrive today!
    04-20-2011 11:48 AM
    Thanks for the info! My Galaxy Tab should arrive today!
    Be prepared to get no sleep or let it out of your hands. LOL

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap
    04-20-2011 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD