Problem with HDMI adapter and viewing on TV

calail

May 24, 2010
Visit site
This past week I decided to upgrade my Galaxy Tab 2 to a Galaxy Tab 4 running KitKat 4.4.2. I love the idea that it has an 11-pin port for charging - so tired of that 30-pin plug :) And, it's faster, and sweeter all around.

Unfortunately, I can't display my tablet's screen on my television. I have no trouble with this configuration on my Samsung Galaxy phones.

My connection looks like this:
HDMI cable connected to TV. TV set to HDMI port.
HDMI cable connected to HDMI to MHL adapter (purchased here: New MHL Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Adapter 1080p for Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 Note 2 | eBay)
Power adapter connected to HDMI/MHL adapter.
Lastly, HDMI/MHL adapter connected to tablet.

I get nothing on the screen. When I connect this same configuration to my Galaxy S4 or S5 (I've tried with both), I get a popup on the phone(s) saying "HDMI connected" but when I connect the tablet I don't get this message.

Any ideas what's wrong? How can I make this work? TIA

Last edited:

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
If your other Samsung devices work, then it's probably not the MHL device itself. You may have to purchase an actual Samsung specific MHL device to work with that specific tablet. I bought one from Best Buy the other day and while I don't have the tablet that you have, I've confirmed that it works on my Note 3. Given the name of that auction, it looks as though there may be some limitations to it working on newer Samsungs.

This is the device I bought from Best Buy. Samsung Micro USBtoHDMI Adapter HDTV ADAPTER, GS4 - Best Buy The price was matched from Amazon, who actually has an even cheaper price if you go through a 3rd party on Amazon.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If your other Samsung devices work, then it's probably not the MHL device itself. You may have to purchase an actual Samsung specific MHL device to work with that specific tablet. I bought one from Best Buy the other day and while I don't have the tablet that you have, I've confirmed that it works on my Note 3. Given the name of that auction, it looks as though there may be some limitations to it working on newer Samsungs.

This is the device I bought from Best Buy. Samsung Micro USBtoHDMI Adapter HDTV ADAPTER, GS4 - Best Buy The price was matched from Amazon, who actually has an even cheaper price if you go through a 3rd party on Amazon.

I bought that for my Galaxy tab and it did not work. :-(

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought that for my Galaxy tab and it did not work. :-(

Samsung's website shows this as the appropriate adapter. Galaxy Tab ™ HDMI Adapter 2013 New model Original Samsung Genuine HDTV MHL Adapter EPL-NPHPBKG for Galaxy note 10.1, galaxy tab HDMI 1080P 30pin (Next verson of EPL-3PHPBEG) - Newegg.com

Kind of odd that you'd have to buy a separate version for the Galaxy Tab. Oh and this is for a Galaxy Tab 4 BTW. I'd say take the other one back, tell the store rep that you were told it would work on your Galaxy Tab and if it didn't you could return it without paying a restocking fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome