Tab 4 10.1 Wiped itself!

axslinger

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
So, I was talking on the phone with my wife last night and had my Tab 4 inside Zagg keyboard, turned on like it always is. Suddenly I hear it make a sound I wasn't familiar with. So, I opened it up and it was at the brand-new configuration page! Everything was gone! It even wiped my external SD card.

I find it hard to believe it just did this on it's own. Fortunately, I had used the Samsung backup and it reinstalled all my apps and everything. I recently separated from my wife and I'm thinking she may have figured out how to get into my Samsung account and did a wipe on it, but I don't know how to tell. Has anybody's tablet done a wipe on it's own out of the clear blue?

Ax

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is not that unusual of a story--we do see stories of devices unexpectedly doing a factory reset, which is probably due to some catastrophic firmware or hardware glitch. I suppose it's possible for your ex to wipe your device, but she would have had to log into either Samsung's Find My Mobile or Google's Android Device Manager in order to send a remote wipe command. Did she ever have access to your Google or Samsung account information? If you want to be safe in the future, change those passwords now, and turn on 2-step authentication where possible.

axslinger

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Well, I did use a password that matched the WPA key of our home router so she may have put two and two together, but I've since reset all my passwords.

Just to add, the tablet had been very stable and never seemed to run hot, shut down, reboot or anything else. Fortunately, the backup feature was turned on and all apps were reinstalled after the OS was configured.

Ax

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay