Moved apps to SD card, available device storage virtually unchanged?

MattPSU79

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Android newbie here. My son has a new Galaxy Tab 4...8GB storage....plus a 32GB SD card installed. He managed to fill up the device storage quickly. So I just used application manager to move a bunch of apps to the SD card. Was easily 3GB of apps (there were a few huge ones in there). However, in settings, the available device storage only changed from about 600 MB to 800 MB. The apps are most definitely on the card. So am I missing something or doing something wrong?

MattPSU79

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Upon further inspection the "move app to sd card" option doesn't appear to actually move all the app data. For instance, I have a 1.25GB app, and after moving the app, under info ito has 'SD card app' and 'SD card data' entry which total only about 50MB which implies most of the app is still stored on the device. What gives? This really upsets me as it really limits the amount of space I can use to store apps!

Mega-Izzy

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Oops sorry about that.
I actually had to read this a couple of times.
Basically, you can only move the data (which the application creates such as pictures or levels or the memory it saves). For example Cut the Rope, in the Google Play store I remembered it being about 40 to 50 mb to install it on my phone, but when I started unlocking more levels and the dumb boxes, I noticed the data was more than a gig of memory!

So no matter what you do you can move the data(memory the app saves) to the SD card but can not move all of it to the SD because the installed app will always have memory on the phone/tablet. To solve your problem, move all the data to the SD card.

I hope I helped.

MattPSU79

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Oops sorry about that.
I actually had to read this a couple of times.
Basically, you can only move the data (which the application creates such as pictures or levels or the memory it saves). For example Cut the Rope, in the Google Play store I remembered it being about 40 to 50 mb to install it on my phone, but when I started unlocking more levels and the dumb boxes, I noticed the data was more than a gig of memory!

So no matter what you do you can move the data(memory the app saves) to the SD card but can not move all of it to the SD because the installed app will always have memory on the phone/tablet. To solve your problem, move all the data to the SD card.

I hope I helped.

The 1.25GB app is FIFA Soccer 2014...I agree it's ridiculous. We've deleted some stuff to free up space. I'm just disappointed that having an 8GB device with 32GB expansion is still limited by the device storage since not everything can be moved to the SD card. Now that some app data has been moved to the SD card, how do I move additional data in the future, given that in the aop settings the "move to sd card" now says "move to device storage"? Do I have to move it back to the device then back to the SD card?

Mega-Izzy

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
After you move the app data to the SD card, that's pretty much all you can do. All I can say is, do not store anything (videos, music) on the phone/tablet storage, just the installed apps. So that you can get the most storage on your Galaxy Tab. Use a file manager to move movies and music to your SD card.

In the future, if you download big memory hungry apps, all you can do is move the data, which sucks.
By the way, I uninstalled Cut the Rope because its was just to large for one app and it was taking up to much CPU(single core phone can't handle).