Does anyone know if Android updates are coming for the Galaxy Tab 4?

Mistofeles

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Still no upgrade to Lollipop for Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 Wifi or 3G. It was promised seven months ago !
Is the problem with lousy Samsung developers or is it a fault in Google Android ?

The Android system should be built so that the kernel can be upgraded without upgrading the bloatware. At least there should be a possibility to partially upgrade the system like in Linux and M$Win.
This stupid 'security feature' in Android 4.4, which prevents us to use our SD card is driving users mad and make them look for other brands.

The only reason there is for this 'feature' is Google, who wants to make us use their cloud and so read their advertisements.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a refurb 4.7. It has a notice that there is an update available and it looks like system.
The Samsung site says 5.1.1 is downloading now.

I can't verify, I turned updates off. There are 2 reasons, I don't like 5.1.1 (have a Nexus 4 with it) and I don't intend to put a SIM card in the tablet. It will be wifi only so I can't tell which version I have. LTE is supposedly the download and 3G is pending. Can't tell w/o SIM.

Since I intend to use tab wifi only, getting MM wouldn't be too bad.

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's site says 5.1.1 available now for tablets with phones. It's rolling the update out.

Wifi only tablets will be updated probably in the 3rd quarter. Think I saw Sept.

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Version 5.1.1 is the last update our tablet will get. I've gotten a few security patches, but that's it. I'm on Sprint.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the exact model of your Tab 4? If it's the LTE version, it may not have the same update schedule as the wi-fi only variant. There are many instances where an LTE-enabled tablet doesn't get updated to as high a version as the wi-fi only tablet.