Facebook app won't update, uninstall, or re-install properly, tablet reboots. What can I do?

A

AC Question

Facebook app won't update, uninstall, or re-install properly, tablet reboots

I'm on a Galaxy Tab 4, recently went to update Facebook, and it downloaded the update but never finished installing. Just said "installing" forever and then gave up. I wouldn't be concerned (there was still a working version of Facebook on the tablet), but after this happened it randomly rebooted in the middle of watching a YouTube vid, took forever, and then gave me an "Optimizing app 1 of 1" screen for 5 minutes before starting. Now every time I restart the tablet it does the same thing.

Things I've tried:

- Uninstalled Facebook through Settings, restarted and got "Optimizing app" screen. When the tablet started, Facebook was back (non-updated).

- Tried clearing app cache and app data and then uninstalling FB & restarting. Optimizing app screen and FB was still there.

- Tried wiping cache partition and then uninstalling FB & restarting. Optimizing app screen and FB was still there.

- Tried uninstalling FB and NOT restarting, app won't re-install. Eventually got a "-504" error message saying app can't be installed.

I've only found one person who had the same exact issue as me and they had no solution (on reddit). Thanks for any help!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Facebook app won't update, uninstall, or re-install properly, tablet reboots

Welcome to the forums. Wow! You've tried everything on the book with no luck. It seems that some file got stuck in your phone after the failed update. You could try a couple of things.

Boot into safe mode, go to settings - apps - select Facebook - force stop - clear data - uninstall and reboot.

If no go download this a app

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm&token=uPay7sRI

Then repeat force stop - clear data - uninstall and before rebooting open SD Maid and run the Corpse Finder option.

Tell us how it goes.

Scanderoon

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so booted in safe mode, cleared data & uninstalled. When I restarted, no more "Optimizing app" screen, and FB remained uninstalled - progress!

However, re-installing is still unsuccessful. It's been sitting here "installing" for about 15-20 minutes now.

Will attempt to install SD Maid. Right now it won't stop installing FB, so I may have to reboot again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Facebook app won't update, uninstall, or re-install properly, tablet reboots

Another thought. Do you have Facebook Messenger installed as well? If so, uninstall it. I remember reading some reports about this app giving problems when trying to install or update the main FB app..

Scanderoon

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Aha, this also seems to be an issue.

Rebooted, installed SD Maid, ran Corpse Finder which did find two facebook related items. Attempted to re-install FB, no dice. When I looked at Messenger in the App Manager, it wouldn't load the info about how much space it was taking up, and is currently stuck trying to un-install it.

Oh, as I type it finally succeeded. Took a long time! Running Corpse Finder again, which has come up with another FB item. Deleted, will reboot for good luck and see what happens!

Sigh. Messenger and Facebook are both uninstalled and Corpse Finder has taken care of leftover files. Tablet will start without the "optimizing app" screen, which is nice... but facebook will not install.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

It looks like Facebook released a bad update, one more I'd say :) Many people are having lots of problems with this app and I'm not sure what else to suggest mate. Maybe try with the Lite version or access your FB account from a browser until they release another update.

And by the way, thanks for registering and welcome as a new member!

Scanderoon

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for all your help! I guess I'll just do browser until the next update.

stestardi

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem, but can't figure out how to get into Safe Mode. I've followed the steps here (How do I start my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 in Safe Mode?), but the "Android is starting..." banner always displays and the device eventually shows the lock screen after ~5 minutes but it's not in Safe Mode. Do I have to hold the volume Down button the whole time "Android is starting..." is displayed?

A little more detail on what I've tried.

​1. Uninstalled Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Pages Manager using Play Store.
2. Force Stopped Play Store and cleared cache.
3. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
4. Reinstalled Facebook from Play Store. Noticed reinstall happened immediately without any download.
4. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
5. Tried uninstalling Facebook using User Apps page in ES File explorer. got a popus saying "Facebook Uninstalled", but the icon was still there when the screen refreshed.
6. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
7. Cleared Cache Data using the Settings app. Got a popup that said "Security policy restricts clearing of this apps cache", but the storage taken by the cache reduced from 550MB to 125MB.
8. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.
9. Cleared Cache Portion using the Tab 4 recovery menu (see http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/use-recovery-mode-android/). 10. Rebooted. Still got "Optimizing App 1 of 1." message.

Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

Steve

stestardi

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all your help! I guess I'll just do browser until the next update.

Facebook has released a couple of updates since you had this problem -- have you been able to successfully install any of them?

amaples93

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue for 5 months until today. Try disabling Google+ and then updating or installing. My phone took a long time and then it froze and closed out of Google play but when I went to try again I found it had updated!! I got the idea from another site.

cmjt

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same trouble with Facebook on my Samsung tab 4
It keeps showing download complete tap to install.
Nothing I do will clear this. It finally installed version 113.......but then says it's out of date....but I can't update.
Is this a Facebook problem or a Samsung problem?
I wrote to fb and they won't reply.
Would a factory reset help?
It's 8/25/2017

SandieL

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Factory reset won't fix it don't think or at least it didn't on mine. I'm having trouble with Facebook on my Samsung Tab 4. It keeps showing download complete tap to install. But won't update and now is saying no carrier for SM-T330NU. I did have FB until they made all these updates.

Jose Luis Arrieta

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
Been having the same problem for months now, only solution I could find is uninstall Facebook and then reinstall it after downloading the apk from any trusty repository. However next thing I'm doing after so much trouble with this tablet and the amount of bloatware it has even after factory reset is rooting it and wiping the Samsung ROM and getting a new more efficient running android OS

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss