Battery Memory?

palm3x

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a Galaxy Tab 4, 8 inch model from my local Best Buy. The only one they had in stock that day was an open box item, so I don't know it's history. I think it had an 85% charge when I got it home, but don't remember for sure. Plugged it into the USB port in my PC. Let it charge overnight while it was doing it's updates and restoring my Google backup.

The next morning I got up and used it to read my email. By the time I'd read half a dozen quick emails, the battery was down to 85%. Android device should not discharge so quickly, but the rest of the day it seemed to behave normally.

It occurred to me that maybe my PC's USB port wasn't putting out a full 2 amps. So the next night I used the factory wall charger. Again, the next morning the battery dropped from 100% straight to 85 as soon as I started using it. But after that, it dropped to 84, 83, 82... and discharged normally. Rats, I got one with a bad battery.

At this point I got the flu, then got swamped at work, so I didn't have a chance to return it to Best Buy. So I kept on using it. The next morning, the battery dropped straight to only 90% as soon as I started using it. By the end of the week, it would start at 100%, then drop to 99, 98, 97... like a normal Android device.

I've played with laptops and other things that had Ni-Cad batteries, so I'm familiar with batteries developing a "memory" (for you youngsters, if you only partially charge a NiCad to X%, then after awhile they will only hold an X% charge and everything over that is lost). I know Lithium Ion batteries aren't supposed to have a "memory", but that's sure what this battery acted like. It seems to be behaving now, so I went ahead and kept it.

Had anyone else noticed this problem? Do I really have a bad battery, or did it just need to be fully charged a few times? I have Power Saving turned on, does that feature need to establish a power history for a few days before it starts to work properly?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
These batteries don't have the old memory effect, but they come with other problems, like bad reporting. If the battery hadn't been used for a while, the level reporting might be off and it just needs recalibration. Usually by charging to 100%, letting it run out on its own (until the device powers off on its own) and then charging back to 100% does the trick.

Also, a few usage cycles can be necessary to let it recondition itself (sort of like you waking up after a very very very long nap... you usually can't just wake up to a fully working human being). I'd keep an eye on it though, as if this continues to happen after a few cycles (I'd say no more than 10) or if you notice sudden battery drops or very bad battery life, then I'd rather just get an exchange unit.

palm3x

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, it sounds like mine might have been a case of that "bad reporting." That would explain how it was behaving, and it seems to be holding a good charge now. I've had several Android tablets and 2 phones, and this is the first time I've encountered this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37