Why does my WiFi connection keep dropping and reconnecting?

A

AC Question

I have an AT&T Galaxy Tab4 8.0 that I bought specifically to use at home as a media device (I had a promo card from my iPhone6 purchase). Being used mostly at home, I turned off the Data and connected to the WiFi.

I have several devices that can stream Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, etc.. to my Airport Express and/or my Chromecast with no issues. My 'smart' TV and HT DVD are only smart because they are connected to a wireless bridge which also has no problems streaming those services.

My Galaxy is the only device that constantly drops the connection and reconnects, making it all but ineffective as a media device in my house. It even happens when I sit right next to my Netgear N600. So I know it's not signal strength. And I've reserved the devices IP, which is set by the device, so there is no interference with other IP addresses.

I'm at a loss. I've been through all my Galaxy and Netgear settings. I see nothing to stop this device from randomly scanning for a new network. Can anyone help me before go back to an Apple device as my 2nd screen?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure that the address you reserved isn't within the range of the router's DHCP server. (IOW, if the DHCP server serves .2-.99, and you reserve .99, some routers have a problem.) Limit the range and use a reserved address outside that range or - the proper way - set the tablet to DHCP and let the router assign the tablet an IP address.

If nothing you do fixes the problem, bring the tab into your AT&T Device Support Center (if you can't find one on their site that's near you, ask at your nearest store) - and they'll either repair or replace it. (Unless they determine that it's more likely to be a problem with your environment at home - IOW, they can't duplicate the problem with their wifi.)

rexmonaco

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your answers. I found the solution. I changed my connection from 5ghz to 2.4ghz. I'm now Chromecasting Netflix with no issues.

Is 5ghz really that bad? None of my neighbors are on 5ghz. After connecting to 2.4ghz and finding a clear channel amongst my 8+ neighbors, it does not seem to drop the connection after 2 nights of testing and multitasking.

So why can my iPhone6 connect via 5ghz and Chromecast movies and music, as well as connect to my Airport Express and Airplay music from the same spot on the sofa? And I thought the iPhone6 was the device with the crappy 5ghz receiver. It absolutely sucks at my brothers house.

Last edited: