Is anyone going back to Old watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone considered going back to their previous watch. With battery only lasting a day, I've actually had my battery die on a busy day. Overheating issues when it's not really overheating IMO. The exercise monitors are not as accurate. Watch faces suck compared to tizen. Charging the watch takes longer. Can't listen to Spotify thru the watch speaker.

The watch 4 does have better reply features IMO which is why I'm still using it. I'm ok with charging every night, but that means I have to take a charger for it even in overnight trips.

I still have my watch 3 and I'm debating pretty hard to go back to using it. I could get over 2 days on it with none of the above issues.

Just seeing what others are thinking.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone considered going back to their previous watch. With battery only lasting a day, I've actually had my battery die on a busy day. Overheating issues when it's not really overheating IMO. The exercise monitors are not as accurate. Watch faces suck compared to tizen. Charging the watch takes longer. Can't listen to Spotify thru the watch speaker.

The watch 4 does have better reply features IMO which is why I'm still using it. I'm ok with charging every night, but that means I have to take a charger for it even in overnight trips.

I still have my watch 3 and I'm debating pretty hard to go back to using it. I could get over 2 days on it with none of the above issues.

Just seeing what others are thinking.

I'll be keeping my GW4 non-classic LTE. What I do, is use it with my GW3, when one gets to 10% power left, I switch to the other. I would certainly like to only use the GW4, but battery, and lack of promise of more apps and some previous Wear OS 2 apps borking on Wear OS3 keeps me using my GW3 and/or a Skagen Falster 3 (rarely). Syncing a lot of stuff via Health services keeps me happy with no real impact on my battery (others have complained about Health Services). I know it's alot but I'm retired and it keeps me going - in a sense. ;)

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
It's odd for me to see people with Battery Life issues as, for me, this watch has better battery life for me than my Watch 3. Now, my Watch 3 was an LTE version where my Watch 4 is not. Either way. I always got more than enough power out of both watches.

I charge my watch once a day to 100% and have it on all day/night. When I put it on the charger, I normally have anywhere from 45% to 60% battery, depending on how busy the day is with notifications.

Now, the only notifications I have going to the watch are:

1. Emails (GMail, Outlook and Protonmail)
2. Calls/Voicemail
3. Text Messages
4. 4 various other apps (that I might get 3-4 notifications a week combines from these)

I Cycle every few days and even on those days I get all-day battery life.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from a Gear Sport (Tizen) to the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic, and it took me a bit to get use to the Wear OS and apps. But, I'm content with using my new watch. I don't plan to go back to my Gear Sport. I usually charge my watch in the morning when I'm taking a shower and it goes all day down to about 60-75% battery power when I go to sleep. That seems to work for me.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's odd for me to see people with Battery Life issues as, for me, this watch has better battery life for me than my Watch 3. Now, my Watch 3 was an LTE version where my Watch 4 is not. Either way. I always got more than enough power out of both watches.

I charge my watch once a day to 100% and have it on all day/night. When I put it on the charger, I normally have anywhere from 45% to 60% battery, depending on how busy the day is with notifications.

Now, the only notifications I have going to the watch are:

1. Emails (GMail, Outlook and Protonmail)
2. Calls/Voicemail
3. Text Messages
4. 4 various other apps (that I might get 3-4 notifications a week combines from these)

I Cycle every few days and even on those days I get all-day battery life.
Well you're using the Bluetooth version. I think most with real noticable battery issues are the LTE version. My last was LTE also so that's what I'm comparing. I think they all took a hit in battery life. I could get 2 plus days from the watch 3, doing everything the same on watch4.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How long have you had it? My battery was horrible at first, but is pretty good now. Although I don't have the 4G radio dragging it down either.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
How long have you had it? My battery was horrible at first, but is pretty good now. Although I don't have the 4G radio dragging it down either.
Since release date. I know this, it would have been returned if it stayed like it was at first. I'm a long time Samsung smart watch wearer, back when they had a camera on the strap. I'm comparing apples to apples on this, all are LTE.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Since release date. I know this, it would have been returned if it stayed like it was at first. I'm a long time Samsung smart watch wearer, back when they had a camera on the strap. I'm comparing apples to apples on this, all are LTE.

I'm also "comparing apples to apples", to the extent you can when one is Tizen and the other wear OS. My battery is pretty much the same now on the 4 as it was on the 3.

Have you tried a factory reset? Wear OS definitely has it's quirks, but so did Tizen.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm also "comparing apples to apples", to the extent you can when one is Tizen and the other wear OS. My battery is pretty much the same now on the 4 as it was on the 3.

Have you tried a factory reset? Wear OS definitely has it's quirks, bit so did Tizen.
Yes I have. I'm ok with charging every night, just was saying it's also nice having 2 days, specially when you do a overnight trip. Wear OS has always been worse in battery department. So yes we aren't really comparing the same when I think of it.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
every time I look at the time left on my watch4, it shows a couple of days and a bunch of hours. I am very happy with the battery life. Besides, my old watch was used as a trade-in so it would not be possible to go back to it. The watch is the bluetooth version.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
every time I look at the time left on my watch4, it shows a couple of days and a bunch of hours. I am very happy with the battery life. Besides, my old watch was used as a trade-in so it would not be possible to go back to it. The watch is the bluetooth version.
I think from what I'm reading is the battery life for both versions went down, it's just that Bluetooth battery lasts longer then the LTE version for obvious reasons. The battery is doable, just was better on older versions, but that's the wear OS doing that IMO.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have 2xGW³s and 2xGWA²s. I considered getting a GW⁴ but I've read mostly bad news so, no thanks sticking with my current stable.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I pointed out most the bad, and they aren't deal breakers for me, it's just more of a disappointment more then anything.
I've heard stories of overheating and am not clear what the upgrades are. My GW³s and GWA²s do work as intended and I haven't had any problems with them. If the GW⁴s we're overall better I'd consider a switch but I don't understand how it would be an upgrade.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've heard stories of overheating and am not clear what the upgrades are. My GW³s and GWA²s do work as intended and I haven't had any problems with them. If the GW⁴s we're overall better I'd consider a switch but I don't understand how it would be an upgrade.
It really isn't unless you really want the Google apps that are available.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I mostly wanted access to Google pay, and just like new tech.

There's a lot of stuff the 4 does better than the 3, but there's things it does worse, too. But there's at least the chance the kinks will get hammered out with the 4, the 3 is what it is forever.

If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I mostly wanted access to Google pay, and just like new tech.

There's a lot of stuff the 4 does better than the 3, but there's things it does worse, too. But there's at least the chance the kinks will get hammered out with the 4, the 3 is what it is forever.

If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it.
Not necessarily, Samsung said they are going to keep updating on the older watches. They aren't just dropping them.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
They said they'll continue to provide security updates for 3 years from the devices original release date, that's all.
They will still support it, keep it running. Yes they will eventually die out over years. There is absolutely no reason to run out and get the watch 4 because support is going away for the older ones. I stand by my statement. Unless you really want wear OS, there's no reason to go get the watch 4 right now. It's been said on this post, the watch 4 will get better with some tweaks, so for those on the fence I would suggest just wait for those tweaks to be done before getting one. You have one that don't need tweaks right now and better battery life. Why get something that doesn't work as good as what you have. I agree, some Google apps are good, Google maps isn't one to jump up and down about, you have to have your phone connected to it, easier to just see on the phone, there is a small delay on notifications popping up on your watch for turns, and it don't light up the watch on turns, just vibrates it, you have to tap the watch or push a button to see it. Not to mention the battery would die in hour or less if it was full navigation.

It might seem I'm bashing the watch 4, it's a decent watch with some limitations you don't have on the watch 3 or others. The display seems better on watch 4, you get more reply options on the watch 4, so it's not all bad. I'm just saying there's enough issues , if you have a watch 3 or others, the move to watch 4 might be a little disappointing right now, might want to wait for the tweaks, if the tweaks happen, unless you want the Google apps no matter what. Question..would I buy the watch 4 now after knowing what I know? No I would not, but I have it and I'm still using it. I still have my watch 3, so maybe one day I'll go back to it, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2