Galaxy 4 LTE Watches not stand-alone (3 devices)

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I just recently purchased 3 Galaxy 4 LTE watches. While trying to set up mobile plans on all three my carrier is now stating they are not stand alone devices even when they sold me the 3. I have unlimited plans on each one also but the carrier isn't able to make the mobile/data connection. All three are basically only good on Wifi/BT.

Has anyone else ran into issues trying to activate their devices?

(N20U, 2 Galaxy 4 Classic 46mm and 1 Galaxy 4 40mm.) I do also understand that only 2 watches are able to be paired on the Wearable app.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I listed in my original post.

Here goes:
2 - Samsung Galaxy 4 Classic LTE 46mm
1 - Samsung Galaxy 4 LTE 40mm

I'm also trying to Google search this and apparently the watches are giving others issues on activation. I've tried everything it seems at this point and too many hours to count on the phone with them thus far.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Only model the carrier sells is the LTE version. On each watch under settings gives info for telephone numbers, etc. They are having issues with connection to network and say no Galaxy 4 is stand alone right now. I know this is false since other people are having issues activating them. I've even tried to have them to Google search the work arounds and they won't but they charge me for 3 plans unlimited.

All models do have the U at the end.

SAM R895U GW4 Classic 46mm SLV Kit 8/10/21
SAM R895U GW4 Classic 46mm BLK Kit 8/1/21
SAM R865U GW4 40mm GLD Kit 8/4/21
(I included the born on dates in the event we thought it was a bad batch in which it isn't.)

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Samsung. They stated whenever I first tried to activate the 3 devices using the old SIM card, I had a one shot try on the eSIM. After the carrier sent the new SIM out and I installed to the device, the original eSIM is no longer any good. They must reissue another eSIM to each watch them try to activate one again. Within 2 minutes Samsung gave me the solution, now I'm waiting on tech support to call me back since it's been re-escalated. So far I've spent close to 30 hours on the phone in the past 2 weeks to get them activated. I'm beyond at my end with all of this.

Sprint customer conversion to T-MOBILE. I've been with Sprint since day one.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that seems needlessly complicated! Glad you're at least getting some guidance from Samsung.:)

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue. I'm a Sprint customer who bought a Galaxy Watch 4 from Tmobile with a data plan. I've spent hours on the phone with both T-mobile and Sprint. I started to lose it at the end. They switched my phone Sim to T-mobile. A data plan appears on the Watch but it does not utilize the LTE data and it only works while paired. Tech support just robotically reads the same troubleshooting sheet. Every time they transfer me to a new person it starts the same way, "oh you can't pair your new watch to your phone? Let me help you with that." The last rep said the Watch isn't capable of standalone. I asked why would you charge for an LTE data plan? Silence.
5fb17929e7c899709e7b1892e8a2a4d7.jpg

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Wow, that seems needlessly complicated! Glad you're at least getting some guidance from Samsung.:)

Exactly... The fact that the lady at Samsung gave me an answer in under 2 minutes vs tireless hours spent with the carrier is unreal...Sprint/Tmobile never called me back last night and so far no word today from their, "Escalated Department."

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Yes sir.... You have the EXACT same story as mine. They are going by script only. I did lose it on the phone a few times which is not like me, especially after the one rep told me I had to have an eligible phone... My phone is a Note20 Ultra that I'm trying to pair them with. I have two other phones but I'm trying those.

I've even told them to Google search the work arounds and that was a mess.

Whenever they call me back, I'm not calling, I'm letting them know how under trained they are for such a simple fix. If you're like me you're burned out of being in the phone for hours at a time with them.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently on the phone with the carrier now. So far it's been 4 hours and 17 minutes.

I'm being told I MUST have plans on three watches even though they are only basically high dollar BT devices. They will NOT get separate data/cell service on them even though with the plans. But you must have the plan for them to work with the phone.

I have 3 lines on the watches, which I'm paying for and being told only the Galaxy watch Active 2 and 3 are fully stand-alone devices. Not the Galaxy 4s.

Any advice for me? I'm tired and frustrated at this point.

(Tech support did admit it was a Sprint/Tmobile issue after I pressed him.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
At this point, I'd probably consider just returning the watches. It seems ridiculous to pay for plans for each of those watches when they don't even have standalone capability on their network. I would argue that it's almost false advertising, or at least very misleading.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on the phone with the carrier now. So far it's been 4 hours and 17 minutes.

I'm being told I MUST have plans on three watches even though they are only basically high dollar BT devices. They will NOT get separate data/cell service on them even though with the plans. But you must have the plan for them to work with the phone.

I have 3 lines on the watches, which I'm paying for and being told only the Galaxy watch Active 2 and 3 are fully stand-alone devices. Not the Galaxy 4s.

Any advice for me? I'm tired and frustrated at this point.

(Tech support did admit it was a Sprint/Tmobile issue after I pressed him.)

I am on Sprint/T-Mobile. Have a line for my GW4, which is NOT Digits. The watch can function like a stand-alone, but is not a true one. You can't call the number directly by someone else, you can only have the watch answer or call as if it is the phone. The phone does not have to be on or nearby however. I have made and received calls on my walk about 1/2 mile away, with my phone turned off. Sprint (now T-Mobile) has never let me use it as a true "standalone" even though it has a separate phone number. It acts as an extension of your phone via LTE when not directly connected via Bluetooth or WiFi, whether phone is off or on. So if someone calls your phone and youre not near it and your watch has Mobile networks on (either auto or always on), your watch will ring. I think is where the confusion lies.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm almost to the point of doing so plus leaving their network after all of this. I had to switch back to the Sprint SIM card last night also for to calls going straight into voicemail due to a Tmobile tower having a ticket open near me since June.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
This is what I've been striving to get all along. The tech even read your comment here and said that I couldn't do this. I mean, I just don't get it.

Don't customers like yourself have it and many of us don't. Not sure what the big miscommunication is within their company but it's sickening at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX