My GW4 spontaneously unpaired from my Galaxy Z Fold 3

Lee Bryan

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yep, happened to me last Thursday May 26. Unpaired from my Samsung Galaxy 20 Ultra out of the blue, wouldn't let me repair without resetting the watch (4 Classic). As the linked article says, I wondered at the time if it was related to recent install/use of Google Assistant on the watch (which I activated May 23 I think?). That's the only thing I've changed recently. I did the watch reset, and installed a backup I had, but there was still a lot of re-setup I had to do. A pain.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Yep, happened to me last Thursday May 26. Unpaired from my Samsung Galaxy 20 Ultra out of the blue, wouldn't let me repair without resetting the watch (4 Classic). As the linked article says, I wondered at the time if it was related to recent install/use of Google Assistant on the watch (which I activated May 23 I think?). That's the only thing I've changed recently. I did the watch reset, and installed a backup I had, but there was still a lot of re-setup I had to do. A pain.

Interesting...I had GA installed (wasn't using) for at least 2-3 days before mine did this. Extremely frustrating because, although I have the setting enabled to do automatic backups, this was almost the end of May and the latest backup available was January.

I guess I'll have to go in and manually do backup anytime I install new watch faces and get the settings the way I prefer.

mr neutron

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
+1. GW4, Flip3.
I do not have GA voice activation turned on (battery hog). Will uninstall GA until fixed. Will not hold my breath.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
+1. GW4, Flip3.
I do not have GA voice activation turned on (battery hog). Will uninstall GA until fixed. Will not hold my breath.

I just tried and couldn't. I think when the GW4 did a hard reset, it appears that GA is now part of the firmware. Tried to find the individual app in the Play Store but couldn't find the one I installed. Then I went into my app drawer, long pressed on the icon and selected uninstall. I was given the question of restoring to factory installed version or whatever, like you get with apps on your phone that can't be uninstalled without gaining root access.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I thankfully haven't had this issue, and hopefully I won't get it. But I just checked my backups and apparently my watch was last backed up 31/08/2021.

So yeah, I don't think auto backup actually works.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I thankfully haven't had this issue, and hopefully I won't get it. But I just checked my backups and apparently my watch was last backed up 31/08/2021.

So yeah, I don't think auto backup actually works.

I just went in and tried to manually backup, but after about 30 seconds it said there's no data to backup, WTF?

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have this happen recently? I had to do a hard reset and was able to use an old backup file. I have the settings to back up automatically, but evidently the last backup was January 🙄

https://www.androidpolice.com/galaxy-watch4-unpair-google-assistant-bug/

So today Jun1 my watch disconnected from my phone.
(Had put G assistant on the watch last week, no problems! Like it....)
Looked at the Wear app and the watch wasn't there! WTH! These "big Brother" resets stuck. I noticed there was a new samsung T&C plus Google as well when I tried to re-pair from the phones BT. Useless... looks like it's a reset for the watch. Hope my backups show.... 🤔🙏

Last edited:

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My GW4 classic did the same and asked to re-pair using a Wear OS approach. I ignored it, since I did not request to unpair it. But ended up having to go on the watch and use move to a new phone. My latest backup was June 27. But my main GW4 non-classic (on the beta) has only done that once a month or so BEFORE the beta. I went and immediately did a backup on it. Interestingly enough, my S22 5G in on the One U1 5.0 beta and you have an option to back up to smart switch. Looks like an excellent feature coming on Android 13 on Samsung.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My watch always loses its connection, (not unpair), for a few seconds and reconnects probably within 10 seconds or so, every time I open/close my Fold 3.

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have this happen recently? I had to do a hard reset and was able to use an old backup file. I have the settings to back up automatically, but evidently the last backup was January 🙄

https://www.androidpolice.com/galaxy-watch4-unpair-google-assistant-bug/

Not really a backup issue, but it sounds kind of similar to my problem.

I have gone through 3 watches now. (2 galaxy watch 4 and 1 galaxy watch 5). Once my watch disconnects from my phone, I can only reconnect if I do a hard reset. Who wants to do this every day? That's right, every day!

My phone connects to my ear buds and other stuff via Bluetooth with no problems. I have Galaxy buds pro and buds 2 pro. After 3 watches, one would assume it's the phone. I truly don't know at this point.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wearables app. No fix. Have done countless reboots on both, no fix. Have done countless hard resets on the watch, works for a day. I don't have Google assistant on my watch.

I'm at a loss. My watch is like a brick.