01-01-2023 12:22 PM
47 12
tools
    If you have a Watch 4 or 4 Classic, you need to check this out.

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galax...early-useless/
    YankInDaSouth likes this.
    11-07-2022 10:10 AM
    Wonderful, I already have that update. I guess I'm about to find out how long this can go without a reboot.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    11-07-2022 10:39 AM
    Wonderful, I already have that update. I guess I'm about to find out how long this can go without a reboot.

I just checked and the bride has it, too. I told her to not power down the watch under any circumstances.
    11-07-2022 10:42 AM
    I'm curious how widespread this is and how far along Samsung is to fixing the issue. Updates are usually pretty infrequent on the watches.

notforhire and VidJunky like this.
    11-07-2022 10:44 AM
    I'm curious how widespread this is and how far along Samsung is to fixing the issue. Updates are usually pretty infrequent on the watches.

There are lots of people on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyWatch...m_source=share ) reporting that their GW4 has bricked after the last update. It seems to happen after the phone was powered down for a restart or has powered off due to low battery. Don't power down your GW4' or let the battery die.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app
    notforhire likes this.
    11-07-2022 10:57 AM
    Thanks, I checked reddit and saw the numerous brickings. I'll just have to watch my battery levels and make sure I don't let it run dry.

notforhire and tismydroid like this.
    11-07-2022 10:58 AM
    Yikes!! I just rebooted my 4 classic this morning ... Checked my software version and I'm on this build. Guess I got lucky.

I have had a few instances where my watch becomes completely unresponsive for a good little bit. Hoping mine survives long enough for another firmware update LOL
    11-07-2022 11:07 AM
    I have it installed and no problems.....rebooted multiple times with no issue
    11-07-2022 01:23 PM
    It hasn't affected every GW4 just enough to consider that is a problem with the latest update. There has been speculation that the GW4's that seem to be affected are ones that were manufactured after Aug 2021 (if I remember correctly).

notforhire likes this.
    11-07-2022 01:44 PM
    It hasn't affected every GW4 just enough to consider that is a problem with the latest update. There has been speculation that the GW4's that seem to be affected are ones that were manufactured after Aug 2021 (if I remember correctly).

any clue on how to read the model/serial number and determine when it was manufactured? (if the post-August 21 manufacture info is accurate)
    11-07-2022 02:46 PM
    any clue on how to read the model/serial number and determine when it was manufactured? (if the post-August 21 manufacture info is accurate)
    Here is one reddit thread where it mentions that it seems to affect watches depending on when they were manufactured....

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyWatch...t=share_button

In that thread is this link describing how to determine when your watch was manufactured...

https://en.tab-tv.com/samsung-phone-...ode-explained/

BUT, this is only speculation at this point, NOT DEFINITE. So I wouldn't restart your GW4 or let the battery die until Samsung releases the fix.

notforhire likes this.
    11-07-2022 03:41 PM
    Here is one reddit thread where it mentions that it seems to affect watches depending on when they were manufactured....

In that thread is this link describing how to determine when your watch was manufactured...

BUT, this is only speculation at this point, NOT DEFINITE. So I wouldn't restart your GW4 or let the battery die until Samsung releases the fix.

Oh no...I'm diving in head first based 100% on your advice and information. Damn the torpedoes, etc. etc.
    tismydroid and J Dubbs like this.
    11-07-2022 03:44 PM
    Oh no...I'm diving in head first based 100% on your advice and information. Damn the torpedoes, etc. etc.

notforhire and J Dubbs like this.
    11-07-2022 03:58 PM

btw, the serial numbers on the Watch 4 are not consistent with the same on a Samsung phone. so the referenced chart does not apply. not really worried about it since I'll just wait for a fix.
    11-07-2022 04:02 PM
    btw, the serial numbers on the Watch 4 are not consistent with the same on a Samsung phone. so the referenced chart does not apply. not really worried about it since I'll just wait for a fix.
    Hmmm, interesting. My GW5's s/n follows the same pattern. According to the chart, if it is in fact accurate info, then 4th & 5th digits from the left are the manufacture date. The last six digits would be the serial #.

11-07-2022 06:08 PM
    Hmmm, interesting. My GW5's s/n follows the same pattern. According to the chart, if it is in fact accurate info, then 4th & 5th digits from the left are the manufacture date. The last six digits would be the serial #.

no month number in my W4 s/n...there is no month 0 and it's in the 6th position for me
    11-07-2022 06:35 PM
    Unfortunately, my GW4 bricked after the update and power recycle last week. Didn’t see the warnings until too late. Contacted Samsung 3 times. Their solution was to send in watch for repair, estimated cost $90. Sorry Samsung, nfw. Pondering what to do next.
    11-08-2022 06:07 AM
    Unfortunately, my GW4 bricked after the update and power recycle last week. Didn’t see the warnings until too late. Contacted Samsung 3 times. Their solution was to send in watch for repair, estimated cost $90. Sorry Samsung, nfw. Pondering what to do next.
    Oh, that sucks and is a pretty response from Samsung.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-08-2022 06:09 AM
    Contact them again. Make sure to let them know that it is now a well known issue that Samsung is aware of and recognizing. They should honor any repairs that are necessary.

J Dubbs and notforhire like this.
    11-08-2022 06:15 AM
    Forgot to mention the other Samsung solution:
    Trade in GW4 for GW5. But one of their trade in criteria states that the watch must power on for a $150 credit towards a new GW5. Well, the GW4 is bricked because of the latest Samsung update. DEAD. IT DOESNT TURN ON. So, no credit for me. Must pay full price for new GW5.
    Um, no thanks Samsung.
    11-08-2022 06:18 AM
    Contact them again. Make sure to let them know that it is now a well known issue that Samsung is aware of and recognizing. They should honor any repairs that are necessary.

Will try once again now that this issue is more widespread.
    J Dubbs and tismydroid like this.
    11-08-2022 06:22 AM
    Will try once again now that this issue is more widespread.
    absolutely...that's what I'd do
    tismydroid and J Dubbs like this.
    11-08-2022 06:32 AM
    11-08-2022 07:37 AM
    Finally got Samsung to repair/replace GW4 at no charge with a 5 day turn-around. Sent watch to Samsung, then 2 days later got an email from them stating repair was on hold due to parts unavailable. WTH?
    Called Samsung again and they are going to issue me a refund for the GW4.
    Guess I’ll use the refund to get a GW5.
    SMH
    11-11-2022 07:29 AM
    Finally got Samsung to repair/replace GW4 at no charge with a 5 day turn-around. Sent watch to Samsung, then 2 days later got an email from them stating repair was on hold due to parts unavailable. WTH?
    Called Samsung again and they are going to issue me a refund for the GW4.
    Guess I’ll use the refund to get a GW5.
    SMH
    Sounds like a good plan. Glad they finally responded to you with a better answer than initially
    notforhire likes this.
    11-24-2022 06:56 AM
47 12