Very disappointed by the options for running/cycling

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
So, I have reached a point in my life where I want LTE connectivity while I'm out on long runs by myself. Purchased the GW5, 44mm last Friday and have pretty much figured out how to set it up the way I want it. As far as the smartwatch features are concerned, I'm pretty impressed by it.

Where I am struggling is in the complete lockdown that Samsung (Apple Jr.???) has performed on the data from workouts if you use their native Samsung Health app. They have completely removed the ability to export your workout data to a .gpx file so you can view that in the exercise platform of your choice (e.g., TrainingPeaks). They also do not let us view this info on a PC. You can view only on your phone using their app! I want to be able to see all of my workouts in one place so I can easily compare two workouts from different dates. Sorry, but this is absolute crap. This is the exact reason that I did not EVER allow myself to spend a dime with Apple and their walled garden ecosystem.

Yes, I know that I can use an app like Strava, which right now is about the only decent option I see. However, after playing around with the app, I'm finding it severely lacking in terms of customizing the workout screen to display the data I want to see while I'm running. I see one screen which has the four main pieces of info that I'd like (time, HR, distance, pace) but the numbers are tiny for these old eyes, especially while running. I also cannot see a way for it to notify me with a simple buzz every lap (.25M) or anything like that.

So my question for you all is this: Is this screen on Strava customizable (and I'm just not seeing how) or alternatively, are there any decent 3rd-party fitness apps that will allow for easy exporting of workout data AND have customizable screens? MapMyRun is a non-starter as that app requires the phone, not just the watch.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions you might have.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
You can export workouts to gpx. If you open the workout in Samsung Health app on your phone click the 3 dots in the upper right corner.

Screenshot_20220830-185411_Samsung Health.jpg

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You can export workouts to gpx. If you open the workout in Samsung Health app on your phone click the 3 dots in the upper right corner.

It's been removed. Many (MANY!) people on the forums are like me, a little p*ssed by this move on Samsung's part. Some of them have even tried reverting to an older version of the Health app, but having no success. I'm looking right at a walk I took tonight just to test out some things and the three dots in the upper-right corner have only two options: (1) name this workout, and (2) delete. That's it.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm on version 6.22.2.007 which is the latest version. Are you in UK? Maybe they removed for non-US version. That sucks if they did. Did you try Connected Services in the app settings? You can share with Strava.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm on version 6.22.2.007 which is the latest version. Are you in UK? Maybe they removed for non-US version. That sucks if they did. Did you try Connected Services in the app settings? You can share with Strava.

I'm in the US, same exact version.

Help me out, here. I did not know about the "Connected Services" and don't know exactly what that will do for me. I checked and saw that it was not turned on, so I gave it all the permissions, but... will this take Samsung Health data (workouts) and send it to Strava? Or, (and I'm scared to ask) does it work in the OTHER direction and only give Samsung the right to look at my Strava workouts to add to their "health" platform?

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I just found it. It works the direction we want it to. I just went out and did a 1-minute walk using Samsung Health. By the time I got back in and opened up my Strava account on my PC, it was there!!!

Thanks so much for helping me find this. I truly appreciate your time!

strava samsung connected apps.JPG

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you. You have the option to select what data it sends to 3rd party apps. Still odd that the option to export gpx is not there.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Glad it worked out for you. You have the option to select what data it sends to 3rd party apps. Still odd that the option to export gpx is not there.

Thanks. I tested it today with a 1.75 mile walk. It sent it to Strava with no problem. The only strange thing was, Strava got the same data and said it was a 1.78 mile walk! I'm guessing they took all those data points and connected the dots using their own algorithms and smoothing and got a slightly different number.

Either way, day by day we're learning this thing.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Ok, this gets even stranger. Just after I replied to you, I went back in to the workout to check something. Just for fun,I got the three dots in the corner and guess what? The export function is there! Tried it how many times before but now it's there. SMH

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol