Right Wrist Support Yet on Galaxy Watch?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Does the new Galaxy Watch, more importantly the new version of Tizen, allow left handed users (who wear their watch on their right wrist) to flip the watch 180 degrees so the buttons face inward (face towards your left hand)? Is there a setting that addresses this?

The Apple Watch has this exact setting. It asks what wrist you are wearing it on and which side you'd like the crown facing. Super easy but huge usability advantage.

But I'm a Samsung user. I've had Gear watches for several years. So no Apple watch here. Just jealousy that they address ALL users, not just the majority.

Most people are left wrist wearing people so it's not a big deal. I get it. And before Tizen 3.0, you could always swipe down to GO BACK, but they stupidly removed that. Hitting the back button is an awkward experience to say the least if you are a left handed / right wrist wearing user.

So is there a setting that addresses this watch flip like Apple Watch does?

Last edited:

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I have my watch on my right wrist and the buttons on the right looking at the watch. Didn't do anything but put the watch on.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have my watch on my right wrist and the buttons on the right looking at the watch. Didn't do anything but put the watch on.

Sorry for the confusion. For most users (left wrist wearing users) the buttons face their opposite hand and are easy to access. That's what I'm looking for with Samsung watches. A setting in the OS that allows for the 180 flip. So the buttons, in this case can face to the left while wearing on your right wrist for easier access. The screen already rotates 90 degrees while docked (and it should have a docked mode with a moving bedside clock...but that's another thread) so I was just hoping they'd go another 90 and allow for the flip.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I wear the watch on my right wrist and no it does not allow flipping like the Apple Watch.

It would be strange since the Galaxy Watch has numbers on its bezel.

I also have no issues pressing the buttons with my left thumb.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I wear the watch on my right wrist and no it does not allow flipping like the Apple Watch.

It would be strange since the Galaxy Watch has numbers on its bezel.

I also have no issues pressing the buttons with my left thumb.

Damn.

Thanks for letting me know.

I find it disappointing that Samsung has no real user feedback. They have a forum but it's almost never checked or attended to. They have a feature request form but it's hard to find and any feedback is always a general template response. Oh well.

I strongly believe they should at least have the option to flip it. Honestly, I wish they'd bring back the swipe down to GO BACK gesture that was a staple of these watches since the original Gear watch. To pull that suddenly was awful esp. for those who've been long time users. Give users more CHOICE in the settings. Let the USER decide if they want to swipe down to go back vs. swipe for settings. Give users the choice to flip the watch and deal with tiny numbers being upside down. I'd definitely do it. Yes, I can stretch my hand over the watch, but to me, it's annoying and awkward.

I'm keeping my S3 for now. I do love it. But not with the same "I could sell this watch to anyone" feeling that I had for a long time. I hated the removal of the swipe down to go back gesture they did with an "update" late last year (again, if you were new to the watch this probably didn't affect you) so I rolled back to pre-Tizen 3.0 That killed Samsung Pay which stinks, but I hated the alternative more than I needed to pay for things with my watch. Just wish Samsung gave users a choice.

Question for you...if you wear your watch on your right wrist, when you cross your arms does your forearm on your left arm touch the home screen and sometimes accidentally long press it so that it tries to switch watch faces? Again, if you're new to the Gear/Galaxy smart watch lineup, you might not have had it long enough to run into this, but I've worn Samsung watches every day for 4.5 years straight now and I wish there was a way to disable the long press home screen "feature". I picked my watch face, great, I'm done, now let me disable that.

Again, just want the "choice" in settings as I know this isn't for everyone.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I wear my watch on my right wrist (even though I am right handed). I've not had any useability issues with button placement. I do miss the motion gestures of Android Wear but other things beat out my LG Watch Style. To answer your last question, the raised bezel prevents the accidental switch (do far) that I had to be careful of on the Style.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Damn.

Thanks for letting me know.

I find it disappointing that Samsung has no real user feedback. They have a forum but it's almost never checked or attended to. They have a feature request form but it's hard to find and any feedback is always a general template response. Oh well.

I strongly believe they should at least have the option to flip it. Honestly, I wish they'd bring back the swipe down to GO BACK gesture that was a staple of these watches since the original Gear watch. To pull that suddenly was awful esp. for those who've been long time users. Give users more CHOICE in the settings. Let the USER decide if they want to swipe down to go back vs. swipe for settings. Give users the choice to flip the watch and deal with tiny numbers being upside down. I'd definitely do it. Yes, I can stretch my hand over the watch, but to me, it's annoying and awkward.

I'm keeping my S3 for now. I do love it. But not with the same "I could sell this watch to anyone" feeling that I had for a long time. I hated the removal of the swipe down to go back gesture they did with an "update" late last year (again, if you were new to the watch this probably didn't affect you) so I rolled back to pre-Tizen 3.0 That killed Samsung Pay which stinks, but I hated the alternative more than I needed to pay for things with my watch. Just wish Samsung gave users a choice.

Question for you...if you wear your watch on your right wrist, when you cross your arms does your forearm on your left arm touch the home screen and sometimes accidentally long press it so that it tries to switch watch faces? Again, if you're new to the Gear/Galaxy smart watch lineup, you might not have had it long enough to run into this, but I've worn Samsung watches every day for 4.5 years straight now and I wish there was a way to disable the long press home screen "feature". I picked my watch face, great, I'm done, now let me disable that.

Again, just want the "choice" in settings as I know this isn't for everyone.

I have not long pressed the screen with my opposite arm. My guess idea that it would register as a palm over the screen instead of finger press.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So I'm guessing there's been no update and if you wear your watch on your right hand you can't have the buttons on the left?

I was trying to Google the answer because somebody on Best Buy under questions asked and someone said yes you can. I was thinking oh that's nice I wish I knew that when I was wearing my S3. I'm giving my S3 to my husband and I just got the Galaxy watch and I had the guy put my straps on so I could wear it that way and now it's upside down. LOL!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante