Reading and receiving notifications from gmail on a galaxy watch

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am trying to configure a new Samsung Galaxy Watch with my Galaxy S6+, but I can't figure out how to get email notifications.

Any attempt to reach the Google mail app ends up in the configuration of a Samsung account.

I don't have and I don't want a Samsung account. How do I get email notifications to the watch?

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to configure a new Samsung Galaxy Watch with my Galaxy S6+, but I can't figure out how to get email notifications.

Any attempt to reach the Google mail app ends up in the configuration of a Samsung account.

I don't have and I don't want a Samsung account. How do I get email notifications to the watch?

I don't have my Galaxy Watch yet, but I expect getting email notifications on your watch works the same for the GW as it does for the Gear S2:
First make sure you are getting email notifications on your phone by going into Settings, Notifications, and switch notifications to ON for your e-mail app.
Then, open the Galaxy Wearable app on your phone, go to "notifications" and switch on notifications for your e-mail app.

Demi Quad

Sep 18, 2018
Visit site

I just received my Galaxy watch and the email app is driving me up the wall. It seems to only let you properly use there own email app properly.

If I go to the email app it asks me to setup an account and then directs me to do this on my phone. I enter my email address and it gives me the option to switch to the gmail app This then re logins to gmail ponly on my phone.

When connected to my phone via bluetooth I still get incoming gmail notification to which I can read and reply to, but if I wanted to compose a new email from scratch and try to use the email app, I am buggered unless I use samsungs own email app - which then means I am getting notifcations from gmail and samsungs email app. Most frustrating

Noam AS

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I just received my Galaxy watch and the email app is driving me up the wall. It seems to only let you properly use there own email app properly.

If I go to the email app it asks me to setup an account and then directs me to do this on my phone. I enter my email address and it gives me the option to switch to the gmail app This then re logins to gmail ponly on my phone.

When connected to my phone via bluetooth I still get incoming gmail notification to which I can read and reply to, but if I wanted to compose a new email from scratch and try to use the email app, I am buggered unless I use samsungs own email app - which then means I am getting notifcations from gmail and samsungs email app. Most frustrating

Well I think that's the way it works . You should use the native SMS\Email Samsung app to initiate messages .

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
For email, I continue to use the gmail app on my phone without issue. To get email to work on the watch, yes, the Samsung email app must also be setup with gmail credentials but that is it. I never actually use the Samsung email app on the phone, it only facilitates email functionality on the watch. If you're getting duplicate notifications then simply suppress the ones you don't want on phone, watch, or both. I chose to suppress the gmail notifications on my phone because I prefer to get notifications on watch and phone concurrently. Samsung email and Gmail notifications often had timing mismatches so I opted for only Samsung notifications on phone and watch.

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For email, I continue to use the gmail app on my phone without issue. To get email to work on the watch, yes, the Samsung email app must also be setup with gmail credentials but that is it. I never actually use the Samsung email app on the phone, it only facilitates email functionality on the watch. If you're getting duplicate notifications then simply suppress the ones you don't want on phone, watch, or both. I chose to suppress the gmail notifications on my phone because I prefer to get notifications on watch and phone concurrently. Samsung email and Gmail notifications often had timing mismatches so I opted for only Samsung notifications on phone and watch.

Thank you so much. I just got a Galaxy Watch; and getting Gmail notifications, but not being able to access my Gmail was driving me crazy.