Watch Keeps Disconnecting From Phone

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Haven't had a problem like this with my Galaxy Watch or the Gear S3 before it. I did have a similar problem with my Gear S2 and Note 5. If I separated the watch and phone by more than a few feet, the bluetooth connection would disconnect. If my body was between the phone and watch (i.e. my phone in my right pocket and the watch on my left wrist), it would also disconnect. This also affected battery life. A mere eight hours drained 85% of my watch battery, which was bad even for the Gear S2. Turned out the problem was a very weak bluetooth radio in my phone, and a warranty replacement fixed it.

I'd recommend putting the phone and watch close together on a table for an hour and see if the problem still occurs. That will tell you whether it's a weak signal or a software issue. If the watch and phone don't move at all and they still get disconnected after awhile, it's unlikely a bluetooth radio issue.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else having this problem? I have the unlocked S9+. I have to reconnect my watch to my phone every hour.
There was a recent update to the Galaxy Wearables app, and I’ve had problems since then... Watch won’t stay connected, and even while it IS connected, it’s not passing notifications reliably. Very frustrating.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I get occasional random disconnect /reconnects. Also today it announced my sleep time 4 hours after I was up so I take it that it just did sync at that time.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset yesterday, and now the Watch stays connected and I'm getting all of my notifications. Strangely, battery life has improved dramatically as well!

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Have unlocked S9+ too and am not experiencing any connectivity issues. You shout not have to reconnect your phone at all, let alone every hour. It should do it automatically within a reasonable bluetooth proximity. If you have an LTE version (or have wifi enabled and are connected with watch), then a remote connection to the phone should kick in shortly after bluetooth drops off. I find those notifications to be slower than when on bluetooth but still receive them.

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
If you leave your phone behind the watch disconnects but should it reconnect when your in range again as mine isn't?

Yes, it should. Mine does. It could be worthwhile to reset your watch.

Since the last update I read to many weird problems that are solved by resetting the watch.
Make a backup of your watch first using the Wearable app on your phone, it will make restoring the settings/apps/faces much easier/quicker.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Here are the reset steps:

Turn the Gear off.
2.Press and hold the Power key until REBOOTING displays at the bottom of the screen.
3.Press the Power key repeatedly until the Select REBOOT MODE screen displays.
4.Press the Power key to highlight ' Recovery'.
5.Press and hold the Home key to select.
6.Keep holding the Power key until the Galaxy begins rebooting.

This was tricky for me. I tried about four or five times before I got it. You don't hold home long to select and once the watch says rebooting release the power key or it just cycles to a normal boot.

kcoleman956

May 28, 2011
www.twitter.com
The watch started connecting after the last update. After a week it started disconnecting from bluetooth and connecting remotely. I'm not getting notifications on the watch and it won't sync with the app when connected remotely. I did a reset on my watch a couple hours ago and so far so good. I'll update with any changes.

Last edited:

kilaka

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
After numerous attempts to reset watch, I did "Unpair watch" from the phone's "Wear OS" app.
Then uninstalled the app, then the whole pairing process again from start.
And it worked.
One guess is that there was some junk left on the app that the uninstall process cleans it, though I did clear cache/data in other attempts without success.
Another guess is that there's a glitch in the pairing/installation that repeats quite often, Doing several re-pairing attempts will get you to the winning one. Bummer but works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith