Is anybody's Galaxy watch counting the steps properly?

luancuvi

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine is not counting short walks, ie. walks of less than 15 to 20 steps, like moving around in the kitchen, or at work...
A lot of people is reporting this same issue and Samsung's customer service has told me to take the watch to a service centre, but some people are saying that taking it to the service centre hasn't fixed the issue.
I don't want a "brand new" refurbished watch anyway and I am trying to work out whether it might be a software or a hardware problem.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine is not counting short walks, ie. walks of less than 15 to 20 steps, like moving around in the kitchen, or at work...
A lot of people is reporting this same issue and Samsung's customer service has told me to take the watch to a service centre, but some people are saying that taking it to the service centre hasn't fixed the issue.
I don't want a "brand new" refurbished watch anyway and I am trying to work out whether it might be a software or a hardware problem.
Sometimes mine does and sometimes it doesn't. I have been finding more and more issues and most of them are common. I am also one getting no more than two days max battery life. I did a support ticket via chat with Samsung. Next is a call.

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
My 46mm counts all the steps but doesn't add them until I've done at least 20.
With the gear s2 the limit was 10 consecutive steps.
I think it is the way it's designed to work.
May be the thought behind it is that less than 20 steps can't be seen as a training. I can appreciate the reasoning, although I think 20 as minimum is too high.
It doesn't bother me much.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the 46mm or 42mm? My 46mm will get 3-4 days easy. I know the 42mm's have the smaller battery.
I have the 46. Steps have been fine today. I even get the little sneaker saying good job for getting off the couch. Lol. Battery life is still nowhere near what they say. Not close.

luancuvi

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm ok with the battery, 2.5 days with AOD, that's good enough for me. It's the steps counting that is driving me crazy. Sometimes it will add them after a while but most of the times it just won't. I don't stop moving in short walks for 8 hours a day and the watch will only count 2000 steps, that's 4 steps per minute, I walk way more than that..
Thing is that some people have had it repaired to see no improvement at all, and, besides, I paid my money for a brand new watch, I don't want a refurbished one after just one month.
If most of you are getting the right steps count it must be my hardware and then maybe taking it to the service centre will do the trick...

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm ok with the battery, 2.5 days with AOD, that's good enough for me. It's the steps counting that is driving me crazy. Sometimes it will add them after a while but most of the times it just won't. I don't stop moving in short walks for 8 hours a day and the watch will only count 2000 steps, that's 4 steps per minute, I walk way more than that..
Thing is that some people have had it repaired to see no improvement at all, and, besides, I paid my money for a brand new watch, I don't want a refurbished one after just one month.
If most of you are getting the right steps count it must be my hardware and then maybe taking it to the service centre will do the trick...
I would be OK if I had AOD active but I don't.

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

I'd try a full reset first after making a backup, if you haven't tried that yet. It helped others with the same problem.
But it sounds like a hardware problem, agreed.

luancuvi

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
My guess, on second thought.... If your short walks all day are less than 20 steps at a time, it won't be fixed by having your watch "repaired" The algorithm would have to be changed in your case, not the hardware.

luancuvi

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
My guess, on second thought.... If your short walks all day are less than 20 steps at a time, it won't be fixed by having your watch "repaired" The algorithm would have to be changed in your case, not the hardware.

That's what I've been thinking all this time. It does register steps, therefore the sensor works. And I reckon it is slightly better with the latest updates.
On top of that, lot of people who's had it repaired claims that the problem is still there. There is a guy who had a second unit with the same issue...
It seems to me like a software issue, bit then everybody should be the same...
I don't know anymore.

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me like a software issue, bit then everybody should be the same...
I don't know anymore.

I don't agree. For me, and I think for many others, it is unusual to walk many steps but less than 20 at a time. That makes your situation rather unique.
Can you change your walking schedule so that you walk more than 20 steps at a time more often, if only to see if that makes a difference in the counted steps by your watch?

luancuvi

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree. For me, and I think for many others, it is unusual to walk many steps but less than 20 at a time. That makes your situation rather unique.
Can you change your walking schedule so that you walk more than 20 steps at a time more often, if only to see if that makes a difference in the counted steps by your watch?

I've tried different patterns and it is not consistent... I haven't got a clue

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I've tried different patterns and it is not consistent... I haven't got a clue
Ya. Maybe exchange or get it checked if full reset did nothing. I might exchange mine if I am still in the time frame. But for me it's battery life. I finished charging around 4pm yesterday and have tried all the suggestions. I am at 66%. That puts me at about two days max if I let it drain fully. (I know it's a hair over). I really wouldn't mind that but if people get 4 with similar settings something is not right.

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I really wouldn't mind that but if people get 4 with similar settings something is not right.

I agree. I'd get the watch exchanged if I were you. I did a full reset last week (The option to kill the Daily Briefing wasn't available where it should be, after the reset it was - although it took some time funny enough). So I disabled the daily briefing and all automatic messages from Samsung Health messages.
Since last Sunday I loose 10-15% battery life every day, which is the best I've seen so far.
I am now on 53% after 3 days and 13 hrs. Amazing.

The other settings are AOD off, HR at frequent, automatic training detection off, Wifi on automatic, Location off, Screen activation by bezel off, I sleep with Good Night Mode on.
Screenshot_20181102-132320.jpg

Last edited:

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I get 3 - 4 days since update. I turned off auto workout detection and helped in my case. As far as steps, same. And yes if you do 10 steps, stop 5 secs, take 10 more and stop 5 sec, etc, it does not remember and will never count. If I take 20 steps straight then spot on. So yes, in your case you are losing the short walks. I had a gear fit 2 before and compared to it I was losing about 500 steps a day. So I just lowered my goal every day by 500 from what I had on gf2, knowing they were similar.

luancuvi

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Ya. Maybe exchange or get it checked if full reset did nothing. I might exchange mine if I am still in the time frame. But for me it's battery life. I finished charging around 4pm yesterday and have tried all the suggestions. I am at 66%. That puts me at about two days max if I let it drain fully. (I know it's a hair over). I really wouldn't mind that but if people get 4 with similar settings something is not right.

Do you have rhe LTE or the Bluetooth version?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci