Verizon says the new LTE Galaxy Watch is NOT compatible with Pixel 3

MonsterMaxx

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So I got a new Pixel XL 3 a couple weeks back. Had a few problems and on one of my trips to the Verizon store they said they had the new LTE Galaxy Watch coming in Friday knowing I wanted one.

So Friday came and I got the watch. It's great, except it will absolutely not connect to LTE.

More tech support calls, more trips to Verizon and today I get a message from one of them that says "so sorry, but the Pixel 3 is NOT compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Watch".

It binds and works fine, but it will not go on the LTE network, nor will Samsung Pay work (who cares?)

According to Verizon I have to downgrade to a Samsung S9 with wimpy 64gb of memory in order to get the watch to work.

Has anyone heard of this BS? Do they know what they are talking about? I'm not a fan of the S9 and would rather stay with the Pixel. But my time to return it is running out and I need to make a decision. Paying for something that won't work isn't an option.

Flyersrock87

Nov 6, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem. I've read some things from a T-Mobile thread somewhere that MIGHT work with Verizon? I'm going to see if I can pair them using my old S5, then switch the primary back to my Pixel.

Regarding Samsung Pay, I actually got that working by downloading the APK directly to my phone from my phone's browser and installing that way. Once I got the plugin, everything else fell in line (though I should clarify that I haven't USED the Pay app yet).

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully they are wrong. Verizon raised the restock fee to $55 now if you return it. Maybe they will waive the fee since they sold it to you knowing you had a pixle phone.

MonsterMaxx

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've looked at the S9, and I really don't like it. Happy with the Pixel.

Pixel is on Android 9, all the Samsung phones are on 8. I'm thinking once Samsung catches up, everything will work fine. In the meantime, it's 90% working on bluetooth.

To add insult to injury, I took the free phone deal and gave it to a friend who gave it to his son - who is a very polite and well mannered teenager. I feel horrible about taking it back so I can return the whole mess. If it's what's got to happen, so be it, but I'd really rather not.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Try activating LTE on the galaxy watch using a newer Samsung phone (S9 or Note 9) if you can.

Activation on Tmobile was a PITA even with Note 9 with Tmobile sim.

MonsterMaxx

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Try activating LTE on the galaxy watch using a newer Samsung phone (S9 or Note 9) if you can.

Activation on Tmobile was a PITA even with Note 9 with Tmobile sim.

wish I knew someone who had one. I was at both Verizon stores around here and none of them had one we could use. :(

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
wish I knew someone who had one. I was at both Verizon stores around here and none of them had one we could use. :(

Bummer. I'm no expert, but that may be the problem (i.e. the need for a more recent Samasung Galaxy phone). I think even an unlocked with Verizon sim card would work to activate LTE. Then afterwards could probably use any phone.

MonsterMaxx

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The watch gets factory reset every time you re-bind it to a new phone. I highly doubt activating it on another samsung device will allow it to bind on a non-supported device.