What's changed since Classic?

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I had/have an S2 Classic and I was OK with it except the phone would drag the battery down quickly in low reception areas. Also, it took me a while to figure out how to use the GPS for running when leaving my phone behind (had to turn off bluetooth). When I got back into running longer distances (I had just had back surgery when I got my S2), I ditched the S2 for a Garmin Fenix 3HR. I still wear and love my Fenix 2 years later but guess I just wanted something more full-featured. I bought a 46mm Galaxy Watch LTE version from AT&T that I'm "giving myself" for Xmas.

I've seen the usual complaints but anyone who had the S2 care to chime in about what's changed and what still sucks?

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a S2 Classic to a Galaxy Watch 42mm a few weeks ago.

Improvements:

Built in GPS - Track your run without a phone tethered now.

Speaker - Make and receive calls on your wrist. Audio alerts.

AOD watchfaces- More detail and information on the AOD stock faces, including active seconds hand, steps, weather, etc.

Glass - More durable transparent glass.

Battery - will vary, but personally getting about 25% better battery in my estimation.

Performance - more responsive.

Health tracking - monitors stress, tracks a greater variety of exercises.

Waterproof - good for swimming down to 50 meters now.

Negatives:

Thicker than the S2.

I'm personally very happy with the Galaxy Watch. No revolutionary changes but a good refinement.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Err, my S2 has a GPS and makes and receives calls???

Either way, well, at least it sounds better. I did see the usual complaints that Samsung customer service is &%$# But as long as it works better than the S2, that's fine with me. Whenever they did the big software update on the S2, that made it a lot more user-friendly.

I don't mind thicker than the S2. My Garmin Fenix 3HR is pretty beefy. Honestly, I'd really like to buy the Fenix 5 but I'm not paying that much for another Garmin.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Err, my S2 has a GPS and makes and receives calls???

Either way, well, at least it sounds better. I did see the usual complaints that Samsung customer service is &%$# But as long as it works better than the S2, that's fine with me. Whenever they did the big software update on the S2, that made it a lot more user-friendly.

I don't mind thicker than the S2. My Garmin Fenix 3HR is pretty beefy. Honestly, I'd really like to buy the Fenix 5 but I'm not paying that much for another Garmin.
You must of had the cellular version then if it had the speaker. I just had the Bluetooth S2 Classic. No GPS or speaker on that.

The Galaxy Watch might be thinner than the S2 Cellular version.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the only reason I buy mine is they sell them through AT&T. That's another reason I went ahead and bought another. I still had the extra phone line I had to open for the S2.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the only reason I buy mine is they sell them through AT&T. That's another reason I went ahead and bought another. I still had the extra phone line I had to open for the S2.
If you're switching cellular versions a big improvement may be cellular performance. S2 was 3g, Galaxy Watch is LTE. Stream Spotify and such.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I just hope cellular doesn't drag overall battery down so drastically on this one like it did on the S2. I sometimes work in low cell signal areas and when wearing my S2, it'll be dead by lunchtime.

supersoulfly

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I just hope cellular doesn't drag overall battery down so drastically on this one like it did on the S2. I sometimes work in low cell signal areas and when wearing my S2, it'll be dead by lunchtime.
If battery is a priority go with the 46mm Model. Battery is quite a bit larger than the 42mm watch size.

472mAh vs 270mAh.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I bought the big boy 46mm LTE version. I've gotten spoiled by my Garmin. It can go most of the week without charging in normal use. But the trade off is the graphics and functionality are more basic plus no touchscreen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC