Galaxy smart watch connecting to mobile network

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recently bought a galaxy smart watch from argos,my phone is with EE, EE are telling me that I cannot use the watch on their network because I didn't buy the watch from them,is that right

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you want to use the watch connected to your phone, it has nothing to do with them. If you want to put an EE SIM in the watch, it's up to them. They're not saying it won't work, they're saying that EE doesn't allow you to.

JWhales

Dec 25, 2018
Visit site
Yes, all the carriers are trying to "milk" the watch cow:D. Most carriers wants $10 per-month for the watch with a qualifying phone plan. For T-Mobile, pre-paid phone plans are not qualified and the only post-paid plane I can find is $70 per-month unless you have 4 lines which is $40 per-month per-line. In contrast, my current pre-paid plan is only $30 per-month and it has enough minutes (100), messages (unlimited) and data (5G) for my usage. I was not willing to pay more than double just to be able to use the watch.

It would have been perfect to use an LTE watch with a phone, even with the $10 monthly charge. Unfortunately it seems the carriers are choking this off, even if unintentionally. I'm afraid the LTE version would disappear pretty quickly. Best Buy is no longer selling the LTE version in stores any more.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My Gear S2 had given me the option of what number I wanted to call out from on the watch: the watch number or the phone number. That option is gone with the Galaxy watch. It seems the only difference in the Bluetooth and LTE versions is being able to get and receive calls on the watch, even if you are not near your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34