Considering Galaxy Watch - A Few Questions

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am considering a Galaxy Watch.

Does the paired phone have to be on like the Apple Watch requirement?

If this is not the case then is it possible to buy a SIM (and plan), insert into a phone, pair the watch, then remove that SIM and put in another SIM and still use the watch?

Any help will be appreciated.

D

JWhales

Dec 25, 2018
Visit site
If you get a Bluetooth-only one, it has nothing to do with the SIM on the phone. As long as you have WiFi on the phone, you don't need a SIM or a mobile service on the phone to use the watch with the phone. So, yes, you should be able to do something like that.

OTOH, I suspect may have trouble with LTE version. Check with your carrier.

sygnus21

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Does the paired phone have to be on like the Apple Watch requirement?

If this is not the case then is it possible to buy a SIM (and plan), insert into a phone, pair the watch, then remove that SIM and put in another SIM and still use the watch?

With the questions you're asking you seriously might want to visit a place like Best Buy, have a look at the watch, and ask questions there first.

And some of us don't use Apple products so I don't know what the "Apple Watch requirement?" is.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The phone will always have to be on for notifications to be sent through to the watch (the Galaxy Wearables app forwards notifications your phone receives to the watch). This is true for both the WiFi/Bluetooth and the LTE versions (yes, I tested this).

For phone calls, the LTE version can receive them even if your phone is turned off. That's because the carrier handles that portion of the connection (using Number Sync or similar). The Wi-Fi / Bluetooth one won't work if your phone is turned off as there's no data connection to the phone at that point.

Finally, outside of the LTE version, which again has to be provisioned on the same account for it to work properly, the watch isn't tied to your phone's SIM card. Heck, you could even take the SIM out of the phone, and receive notifications via Wi-Fi that would get forwarded to the watch.

Hope this clarifies all the scenarios.