T-Mobile LTE Update

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Got the update this morning for my T-Mobile LTE Galaxy Watch this morning. I'll let everyone know how the battery drain and deep sleep are over the next couple days.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Got the update this morning for my T-Mobile LTE Galaxy Watch this morning. I'll let everyone know how the battery drain and deep sleep are over the next couple days.
Heart rate should be improved though I had my first "freeze" in heart rate yesterday since the update. I rebooted and it's fine. It was stuck at 115 when it was only 69. I Che ked with my BP cuff. I guess only one since the update isn't bad and it could have been the watch face as it was new.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Heart rate should be improved though I had my first "freeze" in heart rate yesterday since the update. I rebooted and it's fine. It was stuck at 115 when it was only 69. I Che ked with my BP cuff. I guess only one since the update isn't bad and it could have been the watch face as it was new.

Thanks for the info. I'm going for a jog on the treadmill in a bit. I'll be very impressed if it goes a full half hour with out an HRM cutout. That was always a major annoyance for my watch.

I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can go outdoors and see if how the battery does when streaming music over LTE.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'm going for a jog on the treadmill in a bit. I'll be very impressed if it goes a full half hour with out an HRM cutout. That was always a major annoyance for my watch.

I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can go outdoors and see if how the battery does when streaming music over LTE.
I would not expect it to be great. I have the Bluetooth model but streaming Tidal with the watch was less than stellar. In Samsung defense I am a bit of an audiofile and think every watch is less than what I want for streaming (I use an LG V40 with quad dac for walks and prefer wired headphones for audio but will use Bluetooth at times). I have found the volume on the Galaxy Watch to be lacking when streaming.

Last edited:

ElRey18

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
I got the update. Went for a 1.6 mile run today and it held heartrate for the first time since i got the watch. So far the update looks promising. Still need to see how battery fairs

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Went for my usual 30 minute run with a Bluetooth connection to my watch and nothing except activity tracking (treadmill in this case). The HRM cut out a couple times, but recovered within a few seconds without me having to stop and hold my arm steady. This is much better than average, but I've done runs in the past where I had no problems (however rarely). So I'm cautiously optimistic! As for the battery, dropped by 3%, which again is fairly normal.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Went for my usual 30 minute run with a Bluetooth connection to my watch and nothing except activity tracking (treadmill in this case). The HRM cut out a couple times, but recovered within a few seconds without me having to stop and hold my arm steady. This is much better than average, but I've done runs in the past where I had no problems (however rarely). So I'm cautiously optimistic! As for the battery, dropped by 3%, which again is fairly normal.
Great to hear you guys have finally got the update

HR is improved but not solved though if BSA7 is akin to BSA4.

BUT.... This spectacular app solves HR tracking for fitness. I will bore you with the details (and lots of perfect HR graphs) if you are curious!

I guess you will probably want to test the new software as it is though, and if all's good, you won't need the app.

Anyway, this is it and there will be an update to it very soon which will make it even better, so best to hold out til then if you are considering it.

http://apps.samsung.com/gear/appDetail.as?appId=ye0lz9RwAz

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Health issues only allow me to walk/water exercise. I stopped after a Pulmonary Embolism but was cleared to walk but then cold weather set in. Hopefully I will start again in a few weeks. Other than one freeze at 118 (when my heart rate was 64 by my BP cup) it has been great for me. Of course I have not been as active. I was walking 7 to 8 miles a day before my PE and have just done a few mile walks lately and distance and HR seemed consistent.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Health issues only allow me to walk/water exercise. I stopped after a Pulmonary Embolism but was cleared to walk but then cold weather set in. Hopefully I will start again in a few weeks. Other than one freeze at 118 (when my heart rate was 64 by my BP cup) it has been great for me. Of course I have not been as active. I was walking 7 to 8 miles a day before my PE and have just done a few mile walks lately and distance and HR seemed consistent.
Good for you @Greymire - great to hear on the recovery/ fitness front.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I would not expect it to be great. I have the Bluetooth model but streaming Tidal with the watch was less than stellar. In Samsung defense I am a bit of an audiofile and think every watch is less than what I want for streaming (I use an LG V40 with quad dac for walks and prefer wired headphones for audio but will use Bluetooth at times). I have found the volume on the Galaxy Watch to be lacking when streaming.
I've been very pleasantly surprised with Galaxy Watch audio. Far better than I ever expected before buying the watch. I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile but I am musical and have played piano, drums and percussion all my life so music is very important to me. On the watch I listen to Spotify offline which is obviously very compressed (but very cleverly) and through Bluetooth earphones, so there's inherent quality loss there, too, as you know. But for pounding dance tracks while I'm running, it does a great job, especially the bass output, and it's nicely layered along with the vocals and the high treble hi-hats, for instance. As for volume, incredibly the Galaxy Watch is slightly louder than my Note 9!

Just to check, no doubt you know this already but when playing music, I ramp the volume on the watch up to maximum (beyond the warning it gives you that it can be dangerous), then turn it down a bit (or not) via the BT headphones. This gives the best source quality.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Did another workout this evening, but I swapped out my leather watchband for the default silicone that comes with the watch. It provides a slightly tighter fit, which in the past has never made a difference. But even the short-term cutouts that I saw in the HRM this morning did not appear, and I got continuous heart rate readings throughout the entire thirty minutes.

Time to see if the deep sleep monitoring is any better tonight! I'll try one night with my usual leather band and one night with the tighter silicone to see if there's any difference. I don't expect it though, since sleep tracking doesn't require high-resolution heart rate readings.

ElRey18

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
I tried sleep tracking again for the first time in a while. It actually picked up on Deep sleep where before it would not. I compared it to my prior fitbit outputs and it's not far off from what it stated. Will have to try again over some nights to see if this update holds up. So far so good

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I've been sleep tracking every night since Galaxy Watch release day, and this is the first time I've gotten 54 minutes of deep sleep recorded. Looks like the tracker has been fixed!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Glad your sleep trackers are working better. I am still not satisfied with the step tracker. I am sideloading the Pie update right now on my Note 9. Apparently there is code for the Galaxy watch in this update. Not holding my breath. At least the watch is pretty.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Glad your sleep trackers are working better. I am still not satisfied with the step tracker. I am sideloading the Pie update right now on my Note 9. Apparently there is code for the Galaxy watch in this update. Not holding my breath. At least the watch is pretty.

Yeah, so about that step tracking issue...

Due to all the snowstorms I've been doing my workouts on a treadmill the past month, which is a good opportunity to test the step tracker every day under identical circumstances. A 30 minute workout at 6.5 miles per hour used to give me around 4,300 steps. Today I got 4,400, which is within the day-to-day variation that I generally see (or "less than one standard deviation from the mean" for any statistics people here). Not sure what to make of this without a baseline measurement of the actual number of steps taken during my workout. I guess they could have fixed the logic so that it doesn't record spurious step counts from moving your arms around while sitting down. Or maybe it was having trouble recording steps taken in other contexts, and that's been fixed. I'm greatly looking forward to being able to go outside again and see how my watch performs during a run with the new software.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
BTW, T-Mobile updated their software updates page:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-38218

Finally we know what was in this update. Looks like they fixed a battery drain issue that I didn't even know existed. Maybe my watch will lose less than 20% power when I stream music for half an hour while using continuous GPS. Because other than that I don't really have any complaints with the battery.

Step count logic and speech-to-text are pretty self-explanatory. But what's the deal with "wireless charging support?" Are they perhaps referring to support for the Galaxy S10's PowerShare feature?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
BTW, T-Mobile updated their software updates page:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-38218

Finally we know what was in this update. Looks like they fixed a battery drain issue that I didn't even know existed. Maybe my watch will lose less than 20% power when I stream music for half an hour while using continuous GPS. Because other than that I don't really have any complaints with the battery.

Step count logic and speech-to-text are pretty self-explanatory. But what's the deal with "wireless charging support?" Are they perhaps referring to support for the Galaxy S10's PowerShare feature?

Verizon has not updated its software page yet, but interesting to see step count logic. In my opinion, the best logic to apply would be to use proven code, such as what was in the Gear S 2 and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

I have noticed, even since the update, that my step count starts to degrade as the time goes during a workout. This does not happen with the counter on my phone, so I know it is not me slowing down.

I just updated to Pie, so we will see if this helps at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney