Will galaxy watch charge on the back of S10?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So do we know if the galaxy watch will charge on the back of the S10 or is this just for the galaxy active watch?

Don't hold me to this but I think the s10 is supposed to charge whatever can be charged wirelessly. So, it should charge the Galaxy watch.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I confirmed with T-Mobile customer support that YES, the Galaxy S10/S10+ will charge the 2018 Galaxy Watch. I was very specific to distinguish this from the Galaxy Watch Active (which was what was demoed at Unpacked last Wednesday), and two different reps told me that the Galaxy Watch can be charged via Wireless PowerShare. The T-Mobile website also makes this claim on the Galaxy S10 website.

Technically this information only pertains to the T-Mobile variant of the Galaxy S10, but I can't imagine it would be different for the other ones. I pre-ordered the S10+, so I'll confirm in two Fridays! Honestly, this was one of the main reasons I was pumped about the S10+. The ability to travel with just one cable or a pre-2018 charging pad sounds pretty great.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Don't hold me to this but I think the s10 is supposed to charge whatever can be charged wirelessly. So, it should charge the Galaxy watch.

Heh, I wonder if it can charge an Apple Watch. I highly doubt it because my 2018 Samsung charging pad can charge a Samsung phone, an iPhone, and my Galaxy Watch, but not an Apple Watch. Would be a cool feature though.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Heh, I wonder if it can charge an Apple Watch. I highly doubt it because my 2018 Samsung charging pad can charge a Samsung phone, an iPhone, and my Galaxy Watch, but not an Apple Watch. Would be a cool feature though.

Sorry I'm so stuck into Samsung and the note series I forget there is apple products lmao.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I'm so stuck into Samsung and the note series I forget there is apple products lmao.

Yeah my wife has an iPhone XS and Apple Watch Series 4. Also I use a MacBook for work, so we've got a few Apple products laying around. I've tried charging the Apple Watch using my Samsung 2018 charger pad, which charges my Note 9, the iPhone, and my Galaxy Watch. It doesn't work with the Apple Watch, so my expectations that it'll work with PowerShare are pretty slim.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah my wife has an iPhone XS and Apple Watch Series 4. Also I use a MacBook for work, so we've got a few Apple products laying around. I've tried charging the Apple Watch using my Samsung 2018 charger pad, which charges my Note 9, the iPhone, and my Galaxy Watch. It doesn't work with the Apple Watch, so my expectations that it'll work with PowerShare are pretty slim.
Just curious, Arunma, how does the Apple Watch 4 compare to the Galaxy Watch when it comes to fitness tracking?

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Just curious, Arunma, how does the Apple Watch 4 compare to the Galaxy Watch when it comes to fitness tracking?

I'd say it's better in some ways, worse in others. On the auto-detection front it's got some advantages. While the Galaxy Watch auto-detects based on motion, the Apple Watch 4 will do so based on motion and heart rate. So you can get started, and when your heart rate hits 120 or so, it'll start tracking. This means it detects workouts faster. The heart rate doesn't seem to cut out the way the Galaxy Watch does (or did, rather). Also, the Apple Watch can track more workouts than the Galaxy Watch. It has different workouts for indoor walking and outdoor walking. Heck, if you're in a wheelchair it can even track a wheelchair cardio workout. Finally there's the EKG, which is both cool and potentially very good info to have.

On the downside, there's no built-in sleep tracking, and the battery life is around 18 hours. Yes, 18 hours as cited by Apple, which is unthinkable to a Samsung user. Heck, even after the Tizen 4 update killed my Gear S3 battery life, I still could get over a day out of it! That's kind of a deal-breaker for me. My wife doesn't go for outdoor runs so I am not certain how the watch would fare with LTE, streaming music, and GPS for over half an hour. But even my Galaxy Watch drops 20% over the course of this workout, so I'm not sure the Apple Watch would make it.

Things that are about the same include step counting, calorie counting algorithms, GPS accuracy, and swim-readiness. The Apple Watch was 5 ATM water resistant even two generations ago, so they were ahead of the curve on this one.

So yeah, I guess the Apple Watch would be a good fitness tracker, if you saved your battery by not streaming music during your run.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I'd say it's better in some ways, worse in others. On the auto-detection front it's got some advantages. While the Galaxy Watch auto-detects based on motion, the Apple Watch 4 will do so based on motion and heart rate. So you can get started, and when your heart rate hits 120 or so, it'll start tracking. This means it detects workouts faster. The heart rate doesn't seem to cut out the way the Galaxy Watch does (or did, rather). Also, the Apple Watch can track more workouts than the Galaxy Watch. It has different workouts for indoor walking and outdoor walking. Heck, if you're in a wheelchair it can even track a wheelchair cardio workout. Finally there's the EKG, which is both cool and potentially very good info to have.

On the downside, there's no built-in sleep tracking, and the battery life is around 18 hours. Yes, 18 hours as cited by Apple, which is unthinkable to a Samsung user. Heck, even after the Tizen 4 update killed my Gear S3 battery life, I still could get over a day out of it! That's kind of a deal-breaker for me. My wife doesn't go for outdoor runs so I am not certain how the watch would fare with LTE, streaming music, and GPS for over half an hour. But even my Galaxy Watch drops 20% over the course of this workout, so I'm not sure the Apple Watch would make it.

Things that are about the same include step counting, calorie counting algorithms, GPS accuracy, and swim-readiness. The Apple Watch was 5 ATM water resistant even two generations ago, so they were ahead of the curve on this one.

So yeah, I guess the Apple Watch would be a good fitness tracker, if you saved your battery by not streaming music during your run.
That's really interesting, thanks for that. It's hard to come across a truly independent review of the AW4. So having both in the family means your observations are really useful to hear.

For me, then, Galaxy Watch is the better choice. I'm not interested in auto detect - I've turned them all off. I like to record workouts from the very start to finish. And obviously battery life makes all the difference. And AOD (watch always on) is just fantastic and I wouldn't want to be without it.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
That's really interesting, thanks for that. It's hard to come across a truly independent review of the AW4. So having both in the family means your observations are really useful to hear.

For me, then, Galaxy Watch is the better choice. I'm not interested in auto detect - I've turned them all off. I like to record workouts from the very start to finish. And obviously battery life makes all the difference. And AOD (watch always on) is just fantastic and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Yeah I don't use auto-detect much either. It's mostly useful for me when I walk outdoors and end up walking further than I planned to. It's a workout (of sorts), and it gets passively recorded, which is cool. My Gear S3 once recorded my snow shoveling as a dynamic workout. But I'm also far more interested in the manual tracking features.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The way my S9 behaves, I would be more likely to need to charge the phone from my watch!

Same with my Note 9. When I get home after work, my phone and watch have been with me for about ten hours. Watch is at 75% despite always on display, two workouts, and answering texts. Phone is at more like 45%. At least it used to be until I just started leaving a wireless charger at work.

The Note 9 was advertised as having all-day battery life. Strangely, my friend's 512 GB Note 9 does, but my 128 GB does not. Maybe I've got too many background apps running or something. I hope that the S10/S10+ and it's fancy software-based battery optimization is more effective.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site

So always on display is not available on the active?

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
When i was on vacation i used my phone to charge the watch overnight

To add to that, for insight, an interesting quote from this Galaxy Watch Active review:
"I tried it out and the Wireless Power Sharing feature definitely works—it’s just not fast and you do need to position it in exactly the right way to keep it charging. At the end of the day, the idea of waiting 58 minutes with my phone face down to charge 38 percent seems more of a gimmick than practical"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy