Watch keeps losing internet over bluetooth

magimat

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have had my Galaxy Watch for a few days now and I really love it, except it just keeps losing internet connectivity!

It's paired to my iphone xs. I know.. not ideal, but I'm well aware of all the limitations with ios and it's all fine by me, but I want what is supposed to work to actually work!

So, it's paired over Bluetooth and all is fine, but all of sudden, internet is not working. App store, health app or refreshing weather will complain about no internet connection.

But when it happens, Bluetooth is still connected and I still receive notifications just fine. It's just internet connectivity over Bluetooth that keeps dropping.

When paired, I can see two different connections on my phone. I get Galaxy Watch (XXXX) and Galaxy Watch (XXXX) LE. I read somewhere that the LE one is the actual watch connection and the other one would be for phone on the watch (which I really don't care about).

Anyway, I resetted the watch a few times and tried connecting only the LE one, but it's always the same. All is good for a while (a few hours at best) and then, no more internet.

Anyone has any idea how to solve this? I really like this watch and would like to keep it, but this issue will probably have me return it if I can't fix it :(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
LE is Low Energy. These are the details between standard Bluetooth and LE Bluetooth. Unless you get out of range of the phone, or iPhone isn't designed to maintain an internet connection through Bluetooth (ask at our iPhone forum, iMore forums), there's a problem with the watch or the phone.

magimat

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

After some more testing, I found out that apparently, I lose internet connectivity whenever I close the Wearable app on my iphone. I was able to reproduce and solve the problem by killing and reopening the app on my phone.

Is this something to be expected that my wearable app need to be opened at all time to keep my connectivity on the watch?

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

After some more testing, I found out that apparently, I lose internet connectivity whenever I close the Wearable app on my iphone. I was able to reproduce and solve the problem by killing and reopening the app on my phone.

Is this something to be expected that my wearable app need to be opened at all time to keep my connectivity on the watch?
No, definitely not. But I have no experience of using Galaxy Watch with an iPhone.

Have you tried on the watch in Settings/Connections/WiFi: changing to WiFi ALWAYS? Worth trying if you haven't already but keep an eye on battery usage.

magimat

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
anyone has any experience with the galaxy watch paired to an iphone?

I did some more testing and there is definitely a relation between the internet connectivity over bluetooth and the wareable app being up on the iphone.

As long as I keep the app running (doesn't have to be on screen on the phone, running in background is fine), everything is fine on the watch, but as soon as I kill the app on the phone, I lose internet over bluetooth on my watch.

I suppose I could live with that, but it's pretty annoying because I'm used to kill all the apps on my phone pretty often.

At least now I have a workaround to make it work, but I'd prefer a cleaner solution.

thanks

magimat

Jan 29, 2019
Visit site
it's been a couple days now and I can confirm everything is working flawlessly as long as I keep the app opened on my phone.

So I guess it's another limitation of using a Samsung watch with an Apple phone.

Really sad that companies can't just agree to just make life easier for both their customers. They are both too greedy to make it happen.

Anyway, I'll keep it this way but I really hate when something is not working not because it's not possible, but just because some companies just don't want to play nice with others.