Galaxy Watch and visible notifications

rrmccabe

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
I bought a 42MM Galaxy watch yesterday and have it paired to my S10.

I would like to get a vibration notification on the watch when I receive text and email messages without any kind of visual indication. I cant seem to shut off the message that comes up on the watch when I get a message that shows the senders name.

Is this possible?

And I normally run the Gmail app but appears to get mail on the phone you need to use the Email app instead. Is that correct? I would rather stick with Gmail app as the IMAP function seems to sync (update better) when I delete and read mail on other devices.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
On the phone Gear app, go to notifications and turn off the 'turn on screen' option.

You can use Gmail and will still get notifications and can respond, but you will only get full email (ie list of emails in inbox, sent etc) if you use Samsung email on the watch. Or, like me, you can use both. Gmail for notifications etc and Samsung email when I need to see previous emails etc. Again, in gear app, go to notifications and select that you want notifications from Gmail, but not from Samsung email, if you want it set up like I do. I do it this way so that I can very quickly choose to archive etc by pressing the 3 dots on the Gmail notification...

In actual fact, I use Inbox by Gmail but it's the same principle (and the option for me is 'done' rather than 'archive'). I absolutely love Inbox by Gmail, but in their ultimate wisdom, Google are discontinuing it in 10 days, so I will be using Gmail instead when that time comes. I am gutted they are discontinuing Inbox.

Last edited:

rrmccabe

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site
I have the "turn on screen" off. But swore I was till getting them. But maybe not.

Are you talking Samsung email on the phone? I have not changed anything on the watch but seemed like the S10 "email" app configured on the phone was the only way I could get it to sync.

Thanks for your help

Rich

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the "turn on screen" off. But swore I was till getting them. But maybe not.

Are you talking Samsung email on the phone? I have not changed anything on the watch but seemed like the S10 "email" app configured on the phone was the only way I could get it to sync.

Thanks for your help

Rich
Quite possibly you do need the email app on the phone configured as well. I also have my accounts set up in Samsung email on the phone. But again, you could set up on the phone and just turn the notifications off on the Samsung email app on the phone as well. And continue using Gmail as you always have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox