How accurate is the sleep monitor?

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I use Samsung Health app with my Galaxy watch on galaxy S9+.

I wear it at night. It shows only a few minutes deep sleep and I wonder if that is accurate. Any reports?

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I use Fitbit and I feel the sleep tracking is as close as it going to get with a tracker that tracks movement and not actual sleep.

There are times when it's completely off the chart but I just use it only as a general guide and not as scientific metric.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
In terms of raw number of hours of sleep it's very accurate, in my experience. When it comes to the deep sleep issue...yeah, not so great. It's gotten better after the earlier Tizen update (not the recent OneUI update, which hasn't come out on the US LTE variant yet). Granted, I don't have any basis for comparison since I've never done sleep tracking with any other device. Pretty sure I was getting more than 5 minutes of deep sleep a night though! These days it records between 20-45 minutes a night, which at least seems more believable.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Fitbit and I feel the sleep tracking is as close as it going to get with a tracker that tracks movement and not actual sleep.

There are times when it's completely off the chart but I just use it only as a general guide and not as scientific metric.

What's that got to do with the Galaxy Watch and Samsung Health?

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

... They all track sleep no matter what the brand is ().

Realistically, they only track movement. Don't expect a device that tracks movement to be 100% accurate about your sleep habits and patterns.

If you have a medical condition or some other serious reason that your going to rely on this data to be tried and true for your sleep... You should see a sleep therapist and schedule an actual sleep test.

My concern for making my original post was from a medical perspective, If your stuck on what what brand of watch you got don't @me. Have a nice weekend and be safe.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

Well from a statistical standpoint, we're using various measuring devices to track sleep, but none of us have a "ground truth" measurement. That said, we can measure the desired quantity with a bunch of fallible instruments, and look for correlations. If 9 out of 10 smartwatches say that you're getting 20% deep sleep a night, and one of them says 5%, you can be pretty sure the one watch is likely to be wrong. So it doesn't hurt to compare the Galaxy Watch to what other smart devices are telling us.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Deep sleep tracking tends to be too low. You should be seeing around an average of 17% give or take. Especially early builds where you were lucky to see 5%. Since the one UI update I have see 10%, 13% and 17% deep sleep. It is improved but not perfect yet. I think the improvements come from improved hear track. Give Sleep as Android a trial test. It will connect to your watch with the phone and watch app. Make sure you have a full charge as it's a battery eater but it gives you a more accurate test for comparison.

Last edited:

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
... They all track sleep no matter what the brand is ().

Realistically, they only track movement. Don't expect a device that tracks movement to be 100% accurate about your sleep habits and patterns.

If you have a medical condition or some other serious reason that your going to rely on this data to be tried and true for your sleep... You should see a sleep therapist and schedule an actual sleep test.

My concern for making my original post was from a medical perspective, If your stuck on what what brand of watch you got don't @me. Have a nice weekend and be safe.

Apologies!
I thought this thread was in the Samsung Galaxy Watch forum.

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Are you tracking REM sleep as well Greymire?
I am getting low deep sleep percentages as well, but REM sleep detection seems to have much improved, and shows significant figures (37% last night, which is more than you'd expect). So I was wondering if deep sleep is seen as REM sleep?
Last night I only got 5% deep sleep. Either I slept poorly or it's still erratic.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you tracking REM sleep as well Greymire?
I am getting low deep sleep percentages as well, but REM sleep detection seems to have much improved, and shows significant figures (37% last night, which is more than you'd expect). So I was wondering if deep sleep is seen as REM sleep?
I would think all the numbers get skewed when one is not work g correctly. Last night I got 13% deep sleep and 30% REM. That's 2hrs 26min REM. Since it can't track REM vs NREM I am sure it tracks both as straight up REM. According to Harvard medical sites that would fall into the average of REM and NREM combined. But some of the deep sleep could be falling into REM. I need to use sleep as Android a few nights. Now it's not perfect either but is fairly accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude