Feedback on Galaxy watch vs galaxy active

Ironhide2014

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Time has finally come for me to pick a new smartwatch.

However, I am torn between buying the Galaxy watch vs the galaxy active. I know active is a cheaper option.

I couldnt find anyone with a long term reviews of both. Battery life is a big deal to me.

Any feedback, advice would be highly appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Smart watches don't have long battery life (between charges - between replacements they do if you either charge or turn the watch off at 40%), so choose between a smart watch or long battery life.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
it is really going to depend what you use the watch for as to which to get. battery life differs between users because of different usage. I have a gear s2 classic and had it since the year it was released. I slept a few times since then so I don't remember how long. However I am still getting over 24 hour battery usage out of it. Its been a while since I really put it to a test but I believe I can still get a day in a half total with normal usage.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Time has finally come for me to pick a new smartwatch.

However, I am torn between buying the Galaxy watch vs the galaxy active. I know active is a cheaper option.

I couldnt find anyone with a long term reviews of both. Battery life is a big deal to me.

Any feedback, advice would be highly appreciated.

OK, so just to be clear we are not talking about the Galaxy Watch Active 2, right? This is the watch that comes out at the end of September 2019, and I have no idea what that watch is like because it's not on the market yet.

If your choice is the Galaxy Watch Active and the Galaxy Watch, then the Galaxy Watch is the better choice. It has a bigger battery and advertises better battery life. Like you I care about battery life a lot, and I can say that with normal usage, my GW runs about 40% per day, giving me a solid two days of life with fairly heavy usage.

Note that "heavy usage" excludes music streaming over LTE. For some reason this takes a lot of power. I use Spotify on my watch every morning while jogging. Over a 30 minute run it takes about 20% battery life, and I have to charge it back to full before heading out for the day. So keep in mind that "normal usage" as advertised by Samsung doesnt't include a constant data stream, which is apparently more taxing than a regular AOD on your watch.

Ironhide2014

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
OK, so just to be clear we are not talking about the Galaxy Watch Active 2, right? This is the watch that comes out at the end of September 2019, and I have no idea what that watch is like because it's not on the market yet.

If your choice is the Galaxy Watch Active and the Galaxy Watch, then the Galaxy Watch is the better choice. It has a bigger battery and advertises better battery life. Like you I care about battery life a lot, and I can say that with normal usage, my GW runs about 40% per day, giving me a solid two days of life with fairly heavy usage.

Note that "heavy usage" excludes music streaming over LTE. For some reason this takes a lot of power. I use Spotify on my watch every morning while jogging. Over a 30 minute run it takes about 20% battery life, and I have to charge it back to full before heading out for the day. So keep in mind that "normal usage" as advertised by Samsung doesnt't include a constant data stream, which is apparently more taxing than a regular AOD on your watch.

Thanks for your response. I am not talking about active 2. I dont want to pay premium price for the same watch with added rotating dial.

Yes I do agree with you on the streaming or data stream. My primary purpose is only for light exercise and I should be able to get notifications on my watch. Thats all I care about mostly. It would be a plus if I can wear the watch while sleeping to track sleep. Hopefully that should get me going for at-least couple of days if I go for GW.
One other thing, I read in few reviews that GW doesn't track steps accurately. is that correct? Or I dont need to worry about it at all.

Ironhide2014

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
My primary purpose is only for light exercise and I should be able to get notifications on my watch. Thats all I care about mostly. It would be a plus if I can wear the watch while sleeping to track sleep. Hopefully that should get me going for at-least couple of days if I go for GW.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
it is really going to depend what you use the watch for as to which to get. battery life differs between users because of different usage. I have a gear s2 classic and had it since the year it was released. I slept a few times since then so I don't remember how long. However I am still getting over 24 hour battery usage out of it. Its been a while since I really put it to a test but I believe I can still get a day in a half total with normal usage.

The Gear S2 Classic is still a great watch. I get 2 days usage it of mine when I don't work out. I'm glad most people seem pleased with their Galaxy Watch since I'll be getting one soon. I've decided to only use a smartwatch henceforth.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I am not talking about active 2. I dont want to pay premium price for the same watch with added rotating dial.

Yes I do agree with you on the streaming or data stream. My primary purpose is only for light exercise and I should be able to get notifications on my watch. Thats all I care about mostly. It would be a plus if I can wear the watch while sleeping to track sleep. Hopefully that should get me going for at-least couple of days if I go for GW.
One other thing, I read in few reviews that GW doesn't track steps accurately. is that correct? Or I dont need to worry about it at all.

Can't speak on the Active but the GW is awesome. I use it when running, weight training, and aerobic exercises. Don't really use it to track sleep as most of the fitness watches I've used don't seem to track that well. I can also connect my wireless earbuds to it and play music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon