NEW app - Compass Navigator

melbon88

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Today I downloaded Compass Navigator for my galaxy watch. Finally Samsung created so essential app and the most important it is free.

43q453453453.jpg

melbon88

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
This is an official Samsung app, or is this an app you developed?

Published by Samsung but I took part in developing it.
If you have any questions and someone from forum needs help and have any ideas to extend this application don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

melbon88

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Not free now! Probably worth $1.99 though. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it is paid now. I suppose it is worth this money. It will be free a few days next month yet.

In meantime a new features were added
1. Added possibility to edit own waypoint.
2. Added support for runtime permissions due to Tizen 4.0+ requirements.
3. Added showing alitude on compass view (n/a if not returned by GPS).
4. Added showing sunrise and sunset time for current coordinates. Shows n/a if not available.
5. Added showing sun position and sunrise/sunset times. Sun moves counterwise to clock (from east to west). 6h shows midnight, 12h shows noon.
6. Added importing a waypoint details with link to google maps to a html file.
7. Added sharing a waypoint file. It helps to transfer the file to a phone or a computer by Bluetooth or WIFI conections.
8. Fixed a few minor bugs.

This upgrade should be alive at begin next week (depends on Samsung team).

Screen-20190911-103329.jpg

melbon88

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Samsung told me via chat that the Samsung Galaxy Watch was NOT capable of compass WTF?!

Samsung Galaxy Watch doesn't support magnetometer sensor at all. However, in this case most of apps uses GPS sensor to calculate compass heading - also Android WearOS apps. Using GPS has one drawback. Makes user to move in order to calculate correct measurements.

melbon88

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
New upgrade for Compass Navigator is alive now in Samsung Apps store.

Changes in version 3.0.2:
1. On users request added showing imperial units. Go Settings and find an option: Prefer imperial units.
It will show distance markers in foot/mile on navigation view and altitude in foot on compass view.
2. Added more predefined waypoints.
3. To improve UX added getting last known geo-position before retrieving GPS fix. It works only if Tizen saved last geolocation.
4. On users request added an option to show sun times in format 12 hours (am/pm). User can enable it in app's settings. Default as 24h.
5. Added an option to enter UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) coordinates system and additionally shows UTM in waypoint info section together with decimal coords.
It is option for advanced users.
6. Added an option to edit already added geo-positions. Both systems: geographic and UTM coordinates.
7. Added Spanish translation.
8. Changed satellite icon animation. Now it animates only on GPS updates.
10. Added an option to block gps updates in background.
11. Some code optimization.
12. A few minor UI corrections.
13. Added simple globe view to show user position on the world map. To use it you have to touch target dot on radar view and then click Globe button.
14. Added native way to read GPS updates. It should speed up GPS start and give more accuracy gps updates. Always you can change to old solution in app's settings if in case any issues.