Charging the Galaxy Watch on your wrist

AHoerner

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi folks!
I am a new Galaxy Watch 46mm owner, and I would very much like to find a way to charge the watch while wearing it. For me, a lot of the point of buying a smartwatch s to have backup connectivity that is always with me. So I sleep in the watch and generally don't take it off. Also, the sleep-tracking applications are not going to be much good if the watch is sitting in a cradle on the bedstand.

There are a lot of small, inexpensive disk-shaped chargers that would easily slip under the watch if you have a stretchy watch band (which I do). Most advertise that they are compatible with the Galaxy Active Watch or the Active 2. Has anyone tried one of these with a Galaxy watch that is not an Active watch? Or have any reason t believe they will or will not work?
--Andrew

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Problem with that set up is the same you're having when you mention sleeping with the charger or while charging: the charging puck MUST be under the watch (there's no way a regular coil will reach the charging circuitry from the top), which would block all the sensors, and not sure if the watch uses the HR sensor for on-body detection or just light blocking and motion, but if it uses the first, notifications would also not come through since it'll think you're not wearing it.

If you're an extreme case where you HAVE to have the watch on at all times I recommend getting a second device that can be worn while charging your main watch or charge when you're doing activities that don't need to be tracked (I charge while showering and while watching TV; while driving also if you're not relying on your watch to get notifications).

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks!
I am a new Galaxy Watch 46mm owner, and I would very much like to find a way to charge the watch while wearing it. For me, a lot of the point of buying a smartwatch s to have backup connectivity that is always with me...

This is just not practical. Put your watch on the charger in the evening while you are watching TV; put it on the charger while you get ready in the morning/evening; put it on the charger while you shower. To try and have constant, continuous connectivity sounds like you need some intervention.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, this is ridiculous. You seriously want to mount a wired charger on your wrist to sleep with and want sleep tracking to work? lol I hope this is a joke.
It only needs to be charged for 2 hours or so once or twice a week if you don't use AOD.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It only needs to be charged for 2 hours or so once or twice a week if you don't use AOD.

Ehh, depending on the user, it will most likely need charging more than that. I don't use AOD, and I have to charge every other day at the least.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Ehh, depending on the user, it will most likely need charging more than that. I don't use AOD, and I have to charge every other day at the least.

I wouldn't say that is typical of a 46mm. Most people are getting 4-6 days if they don't use AOD. Unless you get a ridiculous amount of notifications or listen to music or something very draining with yours. Which probably wouldn't be typical for most users. But of course as with anything, usage patterns differ and therefore mileage as well.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say that is typical of a 46mm. Most people are getting 4-6 days if they don't use AOD. Unless you get a ridiculous amount of notifications or listen to music or something very draining with yours. Which probably wouldn't be typical for most users. But of course as with anything, usage patterns differ and therefore mileage as well.

Sorry, little misunderstanding here. I have a Gear S3, so my battery is not as good as a brand new watch...😁

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks!
I am a new Galaxy Watch 46mm owner, and I would very much like to find a way to charge the watch while wearing it. For me, a lot of the point of buying a smartwatch s to have backup connectivity that is always with me. So I sleep in the watch and generally don't take it off. Also, the sleep-tracking applications are not going to be much good if the watch is sitting in a cradle on the bedstand.

There are a lot of small, inexpensive disk-shaped chargers that would easily slip under the watch if you have a stretchy watch band (which I do). Most advertise that they are compatible with the Galaxy Active Watch or the Active 2. Has anyone tried one of these with a Galaxy watch that is not an Active watch? Or have any reason t believe they will or will not work?
--Andrew

Hi Andrew. I realize you're getting some flack for this, but I get your desire to have as much personal health data as you can possibly collect. I also wear my watch to bed every night, and it has helped me to develop better sleep and exercise habits. I haven't tried any of the disk-shaped chargers you mentioned. I looked at a few on Amazon, and it wasn't clear to me that they were compatible with the GW. Let me say right away that this approach won't work. Your watch tracks your sleep in part by measuring your heart rate (unless you turn off sleep cycle tracking). If you charge your watch with a disk charger while sleeping, it won't get the heart rate data. Also if it's in charging mode, I'm not sure that it will even measure your sleep from your body motion. So I wouldn't recommend this.

Second, I don't know how the GW Active 2 is, but the GW has a very long battery life. I wear my watch for about ~22 and a half hours a day. I charge it for 30 minutes in the morning while going through my morning routine, again for about 5 minutes (via PowerShare) while showering in the gym after work, and again for about 45 minutes. If I go for an outdoor jog in the morning and stream Spotify, I have to charge it for more like 60 minutes in the morning. Either way, that's still a minimum of over 22 hours of use per day. I don't think you need to wear a charger to bed to get almost 24 hour use out of the GW. The battery life is its main selling point.

Jas On

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
Re: Charging the Galaxy Watch on your wrist : dumbarse responses.

I cant believe how dumb those responses are... how hard is it to understand that you don't want to take your watch off ever.. what i think i need is a changing ring that just clicks onto the phone with enough charge to charge it, then remove it and put that ring on to charge again. simple...

How could any of you not answer his question at all, why even respond? i don't know of one and i think that it would have to implemented in the next gen. But i cant see when you cant make one with a little charge pad that just slips under the watch when you are watching TV or working on the computer. it is simple tech and you could even make it you self with 2AA batteries and a ring of wire, to do it on the fly.

A wrist band (like the tennis players wear) that has a battery and a pad that comes out the slide under your watch while remaining on your hand.

:D:D:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

way2dumb

Hi folks!

--Andrew

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I cant believe how dumb those responses are... how hard is it to understand that you don't want to take your watch off ever.. what i think i need is a changing ring that just clicks onto the phone with enough charge to charge it, then remove it and put that ring on to charge again. simple...

How could any of you not answer his question at all, why even respond? i don't know of one and i think that it would have to implemented in the next gen. But i cant see when you cant make one with a little charge pad that just slips under the watch when you are watching TV or working on the computer. it is simple tech and you could even make it you self with 2AA batteries and a ring of wire, to do it on the fly.

A wrist band (like the tennis players wear) that has a battery and a pad that comes out the slide under your watch while remaining on your hand.

:D:D:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

way2dumb

Is it as dumb as resurrecting a year old thread just to call the people who responded to it, a year ago, dumb? With the main reason you think they're dumb being that they couldn't figure out how to defy physics? Is it that dumb?

I don't think it is.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Is it as dumb as resurrecting a year old thread just to call the people who responded to it, a year ago, dumb? With the main reason you think they're dumb being that they couldn't figure out how to defy physics? Is it that dumb?

I don't think it is.
And now you responded to keep it alive again, oops , I just did that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21