Have you been waiting for a foldable smartphone?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Seems like this may be the year we get our first 'foldable' smartphone, with the Samsung Galaxy X. The tech has been around for years (since 2010, at least), but now the timing may be right for Samsung to pull the trigger.

We've seen the Axon M launch late last year, a dual display phone, hinged in the middle. Interesting for sure, but I'd like to see something without a hinge. A true 'foldable!'.

What do you think we're going to see in the Galaxy X? Hinged, or something truly foldable?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I hope it is not hinged - I'm not interested at the moment, but that's only because I haven't been able to think of how it'd be interesting or useful to me. Once I see the presentation I'm probably going to be all about it.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm not interested in folding phones as such, but a bit more flexibility would be sweet. These delicate glass devices are a bit too much. Might consider the S9 Active this year, I'm tired of having to be so careful with my phone. And I don't much like the edge screen either...
But certainly, the technology is amazing

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not interested. The design would be too cumbersome to carry around and use, plus moving parts add an additional potential failure point.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not very interested in a foldable phone for myself; however, I am very interested in seeing how they "will come about" and it'll be cool to test them out in the store.

As far as what we'd probably see in the foldable phone, I think it will be hinge-less - with state of the art tech. It's Samsung, after all - I'm sure they'll pull out all the stops for this phone! :)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The only way I'd be interested in a foldable phone is if it was hinge-less, not delicate, and have all the current specs for 2018 (SD 845, etc).

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested in folding phones as such, but a bit more flexibility would be sweet. These delicate glass devices are a bit too much. Might consider the S9 Active this year, I'm tired of having to be so careful with my phone. And I don't much like the edge screen either...
But certainly, the technology is amazing

I have the S8 Active and love how durable it is. I got it because of the battery, durability and the lack of an edge screen.

Robert Paulsen

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I'd like my s8+ to fold in half. Old school clam-shell style. I don't need this massive thing most of the time, but I need it.

I think the flexible screens will allow stupid-large screens. I magine a tri-fold wallet design? Goodbye tablets!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd like my s8+ to fold in half. Old school clam-shell style. I don't need this massive thing most of the time, but I need it.

I think the flexible screens will allow stupid-large screens. I magine a tri-fold wallet design? Goodbye tablets!

Ooohhh a tri-fold hardware design is an interesting notion! Imagine if it folds out like a map and it's actually huge?! 😜

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This discussion doesn't make sense. When I *see* a foldable smartphone, I'll make a decision. The ancient Palm Pre was "foldable". It was a good design I would have used if the system had worked with Exchange reliably back in 2010. If a similar functionality and design arrives in an Android device, I'd certainly look at it. "Foldable" is too vague a characteristic to be a determinative factor. Let's see the actual product first.

airos4

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I'd be interested in something as a concept. Depends how it works. If you could carry something the dimensions of my old RAZR V3M, then open it /unfold it to be the size of a normal portrait mode phone, then open it on the other axis to be a tablet when I need that... yeah, I'd like that

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
These delicate glass devices are a bit too much. Might consider the S9 Active this year, I'm tired of having to be so careful with my phone.

Or they could stop making glass body phones and go back to metal or plastic so they can take more of a beating.

To the topic at hand, I loved my old clamshell phone. Not sure I'd want to go back to a foldable now, though. I would want a hinge so I didn't have to worry about the screen durability, but putting a hinge on it would either reduce the size of the screen or make the phone HUGE (I wouldn't want the display stretched across the hinge). Could you imagine something like the V20 as a clamshell that opened up and was twice as long?

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Useless...just like curved screens and glass backs. People get all caught up in fancy-shmancy gimmicks only to regret it later when their delicate, overpriced slab of glass scratches or shatters into a million pieces. We need to get back to good quality plastic backs, FLAT screens that can hold a glass protector, replaceable batteries, and KEEP THE HEADPHONE JACKS!!!!!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Useless...just like curved screens and glass backs. People get all caught up in fancy-shmancy gimmicks only to regret it later when their delicate, overpriced slab of glass scratches or shatters into a million pieces. We need to get back to good quality plastic backs, FLAT screens that can hold a glass protector, replaceable batteries, and KEEP THE HEADPHONE JACKS!!!!!
Actually it's pretty useful depending on the design. In my case it would save me from having to carry around a separate tablet from my phone.

captivedroid

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Not looking forward to a foldable Galaxy X phone. I'd rather quit cold-turkey the Galaxy flagship (I'm actually hoping to get Galaxy X Note phone as long as it doesn't follow the foldable trend.) and have the original Galaxy Note phone size.

IMO, it could be a bigger setback than exploding batteries if the phone doesn't sell.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I would be interested in a device that opens up into a tablet (I don't think a roll out screen would be very good because it would not provide a stable usage platform).

Cheers,
BR

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234