Use cases for the Samsung Galaxy X

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Searching for real world use cases for a foldable smartphone. Are there any unique scenarios where you feel a foldable phone would be amazing??

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The concept for the phone-turns-tablet is intriguing, especially for something like the Note line. The S-Pen is great, but let's be honest, taking notes on a phone, even a phablet, is not as great as doing it on a tablet-sized screen.

Fancy uses like 'bends to your wrist and then turns into a phone' is also something I'd like to see (probably not great and the weight would end up making my hand tired, but still cool to see) or something more mundane like 'look! it bends and now it can stand on its own!'.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It might be useful to be able to bend the screen to a curve in order to extinguish reflections, but even if that worked, I don’t know that it would be very useful.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how well this would work, but I'd totally bend it slightly so I could watch Netflix or movies on my bed sans issues.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Better grip when filming, too? Maybe. Curve would have to be drastic for that, though.

Also, and because the title made me think this thread was about something else completely... yeah, cases! Either they'd have to make scale-like hard cases that bend with the phone or go all-in with soft TPU. And forget about tempered glass protectors! Even thin-film ones would falter when this is bent.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Better grip when filming, too? Maybe. Curve would have to be drastic for that, though.

Also, and because the title made me think this thread was about something else completely... yeah, cases! Either they'd have to make scale-like hard cases that bend with the phone or go all-in with soft TPU. And forget about tempered glass protectors! Even thin-film ones would falter when this is bent.
Didn't the S7 Edge have a curve. Ever see how easy it was to hit the edge of the phone and make it do things that you didn't want it to do. I still have one in the drawer. Had to get a case to protect you from hitting the edge of the screen.
NIghtmare.
Be careful what you wish for .

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Didn't the S7 Edge have a curve. Ever see how easy it was to hit the edge of the phone and make it do things that you didn't want it to do. I still have one in the drawer. Had to get a case to protect you from hitting the edge of the screen.
NIghtmare.
Be careful what you wish for .

It did have a curve, I also thought that palm-presses would be an issue... it wasn't. Even before the patches were released to improve it, I hardly ever had that issue without a case. BUT, on the S7 line, it did help a lot to have a case to avoid smudges and for a better grip. Newer models kept improving on the curves so they weren't as pronounced.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
*spen, like the iPad pencil, more screen space is helpful
*Netflix $4 mobile only plan (if this happens it would be great)
*not have to carry a phone and tablet everywhere or phone and laptop. Add a foldable keyboard and your good to go. Dex?
*great for old eyes or poor eyesight
*websites that still have bad mobile view and desktop view on phones aren't great either

I'm trying to think of positives... because who knows.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Searching for real world use cases for a foldable smartphone. Are there any unique scenarios where you feel a foldable phone would be amazing??

Really the best use for the foldable phone is the bigger screen.. basically a pocketable tablet plus the novelty. But it's fact, all things will eventually break when bent so many times... The wire or material inside will eventually fall apart after being moved back and forth thousands of times... So I question the longevity of the device.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Really the best use for the foldable phone is the bigger screen.. basically a pocketable tablet plus the novelty. But it's fact, all things will eventually break when bent so many times... The wire or material inside will eventually fall apart after being moved back and forth thousands of times... So I question the longevity of the device.
Samsung says it's able to fold at least 200,000 times, which works out to over 5 years if you fold it 100 times a day.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I would rather just have a 7.3 inch phone. No fold needed.

Then this is for you.
You never have to use the front, except as an AOD screen. Or for those quick replies.
-----------

Another use. I mentioned on the post if this had DeX, that you could use a keyboard and make it a mini laptop.

Then I remembered that at one time they were selling 7 inch mini netbooks (I bought one, it was a wide screen, so a little longer). A foldable keyboard would make this a portable laptop if you needed a keyboard (writers, longer emails, e.t.c. ).

A phone in one back pocket, a keyboard in the other back pocket ;) .
Picture of a foldable keyboard ( Sounwill Foldable Keyboard):

Attachments

• 3957.jpg
    3957.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Then this is for you.
You never have to use the front, except as an AOD screen. Or for those quick replies.
-----------

Another use. I mentioned on the post if this had DeX, that you could use a keyboard and make it a mini laptop.

Then I remembered that at one time they were selling 7 inch mini netbooks (I bought one, it was a wide screen, so a little longer). A foldable keyboard would make this a portable laptop if you needed a keyboard (writers, longer emails, e.t.c. ).

A phone in one back pocket, a keyboard in the other back pocket ;) .
Picture of a foldable keyboard ( Sounwill Foldable Keyboard):
What would be the difference from the Samsung Fold and the Xiaomi Mi Max 4 that's supposed to have a 7.2 inch front screen? And it's projected to cost about $1500 less.