Who's returning the Flip?

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Well Count Me In as one who's going to be returning it. Curiosity and great reviews got me wanting to try the Flip 3. While there is a lot of good things to like about the phone, there are some annoyances that I just couldn't get over.

First one is just basically flipping the phone open every time you need to do anything that you can't do on the outside screen. I wish it was easier to flip it open. Maybe in the future have some kind of spring loading mechanism where you can just flip it open with less effort? Don't like how I need it two hands to open the phone up. I tried mastering digging my finger between the wedge and snap it open but Im afraid of dropping the phone.

I'm going to admit the crease never bothered me but the edges along each side of the crease was bothersome everytime my finger ran across it.

I never realized how often I use my phone in landscape mode till I notice how annoying it is using the flip in landscape mode. Some apps just don't look right with the Flips aspect ratio. Huge black bars alongside and just how small and thin the video window looks for a 6.7 inch screen.

The phone also runs hot while it just sits in my pocket for hours. I mean I can be doing nothing on my phone not even flipping it open, just looking at my notifications through the small screen and it just constantly hot.

Battery life is just trash. Simple task like looking at notification on the small screen will drain your battery life at an alarming rate. Sure I can top it off in the middle of the day but lack of fast charging also became super annoying as I would normally just drop my s21 ultra on the charger for 20 minutes while on my lunch break and and be right back at 100%.

There's a few things I left off but I'll just be nitpicking. Maybe a casual phone user will enjoy the form factor more then I did.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine is improving in the battery life Dept. First night I had it I lost 40% battery overnight. Last night I lost under 10%. For me, I leave the flip open for the most part when I am home etc. Like a normal phone. I only close it to pocket it. And even then I sometimes put it in my pocket unfolded if I'm just changing rooms or something.
Too bad you didn't like the flip. It won't be for everyone. Still pretty early into the honeymoon phase for me. Hopefully I'll keep enjoying mine.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
No matter what phone it is there's always a return phone thread. There's a reason I went with the fold, I can do everything on the front screen closed that I can do with it open.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I really like it for the size and the fun factor of the flip. My only concern is the battery. I kept my S20 +, so I may just use the flip during the week and then if I know I won't be by a charger on the weekends I'll just use my 20+.
I'm thinking if it doesn't work out I'll trade it for a S22 when they come out. It should have a good trade value.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I really like it for the size and the fun factor of the flip. My only concern is the battery. I kept my S20 +, so I may just use the flip during the week and then if I know I won't be by a charger on the weekends I'll just use my 20+.
I'm thinking if it doesn't work out I'll trade it for a S22 when they come out. It should have a good trade value.
Sounds like a good plan to me

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
IMO a flip phone is still somewhat gimmicky. Flip phones were cool back in the day, so its one of the major reasons someone would get one today. So its still more of a fashion statement, as I've already got several comments from people when seeing my flip 3. Is the flip 3 better than a S 20 or 21 or 21 ultra, or better than a note 10 plus or 20 ultra. No, of course not. But this phone is so easily to carry around and it looks cool. If the flip or lugging around a iphone 12 max, or 21 ultra doesn't bother you. Then obviously I suggest one just pass on flip phones.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Z flip as a secondary "fun" device to my main phone, so battery life is a non issue for me. It's so good!

IMO a flip phone is still somewhat gimmicky. Flip phones were cool back in the day, so its one of the major reasons someone would get one today. So its still more of a fashion statement, as I've already got several comments from people when seeing my flip 3. Is the flip 3 better than a S 20 or 21 or 21 ultra, or better than a note 10 plus or 20 ultra. No, of course not. But this phone is so easily to carry around and it looks cool. If the flip or lugging around a iphone 12 max, or 21 ultra doesn't bother you. Then obviously I suggest one just pass on flip phones.

Oh damn $1000 secondary "fun" phone? You must be rich

That's too much money to spend on a secondary backup phone... I agreed the flip could be a nice secondary phone but its price tag doesn't say it should be a secondary phone.

The phone has too much compromise to be a daily phone, because of that I think it's going to be a sales flop!!!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh damn $1000 secondary "fun" phone? You must be rich

That's too much money to spend on a secondary backup phone... I agreed the flip could be a nice secondary phone but its price tag doesn't say it should be a secondary phone.

The phone has too much compromise to be a daily phone, because of that I think it's going to be a sales flop!!!
Well don't buy one. I hate to be blunt, but I've learned everyone is different. If it's out of your price range then that's that, no need to criticize someone for what they want.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
No matter what phone it is there's always a return phone thread. There's a reason I went with the fold, I can do everything on the front screen closed that I can do with it open.
Well don't buy one. I hate to be blunt, but I've learned everyone is different. If it's out of your price range then that's that, no need to criticize someone for what they want.
I already bought it.. I'm only saying why I'm returning it.. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, like you said theres always a return thread in forums and this is the return thread for this phone. I just want to hear people's honest assessment of the phone and why are they going to return it.

Set your feelings aside.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I already bought it.. I'm only saying why I'm returning it.. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, like you said theres always a return thread in forums and this is the return thread for this phone. I just want to hear people's honest assessment of the phone and why are they going to return it.

Set your feelings aside.
I don't even have have it. I'm just saying it you don't like it move on. I was told that last year, it was great advice

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't even have have it. I'm just saying it you don't like it move on. I was told that last year, it was great advice
Dude we're phone enthusiast that's why you're hanging around this section of the Forum even though you have don't have the phone. It's just a place to share information, relax!!!!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Also, Samsung gave the option to test a fold phone for 3 weeks. They obviously sense that these phones will take a transition period. Im not sure why more people aren't taking advantage of that.

As for the price, I didn't pay even close to 1,000 for this phone lol

Last edited:

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
My observations and I don’t have mine yet …I wouldn’t expect this phone to replace the S21 Ultra without compromises…and totally understand if you took a peek and decided to return …from what I’ve seen flip open one handed is hard to do and I think some peeps don’t realize it…inner screen sides thing is possible that screen protector is the culprit IMO ..I will see when I’m hands ..
There should be a way to fix the app ratio like Fold 2 with Good Lock or similar but these phones are taller when open …battery should need bumps for power users but also need more time to learn user pattern and optimize and I think it improves as weeks go on ..at least from my experience with Samsung phones …we have plenty of tech enthusiasts here including myself …and I too have this coming to be my secondary Android phone to my ZF3 …trade ins and selling other phones helps with cost …

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I bought the flip as a secondary phone as well, I have have an S21 ultra as my primary. I've never paid full price for any phone, I got $500 off the flip for a cracked S10+ that was collecting dust in my drawer.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought the flip as a secondary phone as well, I have have an S21 ultra as my primary. I've never paid full price for any phone, I got $500 off the flip for a cracked S10+ that was collecting dust in my drawer.
I'm going to apologize, I just hate it when I'm told to relax for doing what we do in here. I am doing the same, just conversing. Sorry for jumping on you.

I was very critical of the S21 last spring and I was told what I was saying to you. I've learned from that, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I should attack it. Unfortunately In words displayed sometimes it comes across wrong. I was just chatting, if we would have been talking in person we would have understood better with expressions included. Sorry it came across wrong to you.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to apologize, I just hate it when I'm told to relax for doing what we do in here. I am doing the same, just conversing. Sorry for jumping on you.

I was very critical of the S21 last spring and I was told what I was saying to you. I've learned from that, just because I don't like it doesn't mean I should attack it. Unfortunately In words displayed sometimes it comes across wrong. I was just chatting, if we would have been talking in person we would have understood better with expressions included. Sorry it came across wrong to you.
I believe you were talking to me but you quoted someone else. . But yeah I'm just speaking as a regular consumer which I'm not I'm obviously a Tech head and have multiple phones myself so I'm trying see it as your average consumer. .. personally I think the Fold 3 is now is calling my name and that device I might actually give up my S21 ultra for. And FYI I didn't pay $999 for this device. I'm in a position to test drive it and be able to sell it for a profit if I didn't like it which I will do.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence about the flip 3. I was using the s21 people to this phone. I view the printers as somewhat equal. Each had it's own benefit. I really like the compactness of the Flip 3.i went with the 21 day trial through Samsung. They are smart cause it takes 21 days to break a habit. That is how lung it may take for me to see the benefit of this phone over the s21.
FYI the battery is getting better in day 3.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thats why we have a 14 day window to return it , may not be for some but im really liking the fold 3 so its safe to say im keeping mine but understand why some may not

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey