Do you buy phones to evaluate and return?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Returning a phone is a hassle and no fun. I don't think it's worth trying a phone with a plan to return it. That said, if I'm not completely 110% satisfied with a product...it's going back. Period. I'm not settling for less than total complete satisfaction with a phone. ...and sometimes, it takes more than 5 minutes hands-on in a store to get there.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm reading where people are returning these Flips because they don't do this or that. Some are even calling the 'flip' part a sales gimmick. I don't get that accusation. I mean.... it's literally named a friggin FLIP.
You knew that when you bought it.

And disappointment over battery life is an arguable point. But I already had done my research and knew the battery life wasn't exactly what larger batteries are. The battery life is fine for me tho. I usually top off during the day with any phone I own. It's not an experiment to see how far I can push a battery. It's a cellphone. Besides, I'm not on an outback excursion and away from electricity during the day.

I would wager that most, if not all, of the people in AC here have researched their phones before they bought them.

So it's hard to see how someone didn't just go thru all the hassle of buying a phone to simply play with it just so they can return it and then complain about how it doesn't get a fair return value or find fault in every millimeter of the device.

I mean, it's a free world. But it's like someone went to a lot, looked at trucks, bought one, drove the truck home, drove it a week, and then suddenly went...

I'm taking this truck back.
I don't like color.

Do you guys buy phones like this? I've had phones since bag phones and I've never taken one back because I changed my mind.

Buyin' a phone and then being surprised enough to return it (unless you just bought it and didn't even Google it and who would do that in 2021?) seems odd to me.

For tech reviewers, the constant setting up process, resetting up, taking out sim etc. That would drive me bananas so I feel for tech reviewers that have to do it as a job. Getting new tech early before the "common folk" before the embargos lift is the only disadvantage.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For tech reviewers, the constant setting up process, resetting up, taking out sim etc. Would drive me bananas so I fell for tech reviewers that have to do it as a job. Getting new tech early before the "common folk" before the embargos lift is the only disadvantage.
Yeah that would drive me bananas also lol

brucesmays

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have only ever returned one phone, and that was my Note 7…because i had to. I have the unlocked version running on Verizon and there is no option I can find to turn off 5G.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is no doubt the biggest reason for return. With a lot of the bigger screen phones have bigger battery a lot of people expect for the z flip 3 to have the same level of battery life or better(which is crazy when you think about) than their previous phone with almost twice the battery capacity. This is a niche phone that appeals to the masses unfortunately some are willing to compromise on battery and some aren't. Good job for the rep giving a warning to people about battery life before hand to deescalate so many returns from uneducated buyers.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've said in other threads and I'll mention it here. It's not just the shortened battery life that is a concern but the smaller battery will need to be charged more often for many, if not most users. Batteries can only be charged so many times before they wear out. If you have to charge the phone 1.5-2x more often that smaller battery is going to wear out quicker. That just seems like logic. Can they replace the battery. Yeahp, but it is something to consider and, for me, more important than the fact that the phone will want me to feed it more often throughout the day (which seems easy enough). If this is a tertiary device for you it's likely a lot less of an issue.

TLDR: What will be the state of everyone's battery life after 5-6 months? Another reason why insurance on this device would be a no brainer for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've said in other threads and I'll mention it here. It's not just the shortened battery life that is a concern but the smaller battery will need to be charged more often for many, if not most users. Batteries can only be charged so many times before they wear out. If you have to charge the phone 1.5-2x more often that smaller battery is going to wear out quicker. That just seems like logic. Can they replace the battery. Yeahp, but it is something to consider and, for me, more important than the fact that the phone will want me to feed it more often throughout the day (which seems easy enough). If this is a tertiary device for you it's likely a lot less of an issue.

TLDR: What will be the state of everyone's battery life after 5-6 months? Another reason why insurance on this device would be a no brainer for me.
I've never had an issue with battery longevity even on devices with smaller even when I've kept them longer than usual. My wife on the other hand can kill an iPhone battery before it's time.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've never had an issue with battery longevity even on devices with smaller even when I've kept them longer than usual. My wife on the other hand can kill an iPhone battery before it's time.
I am a worry wart when it comes to my phone toys. ...but I don't want to be, it's only taking away from my enjoyment of a device. Besides...insurance.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Ima charge my phone and Google 'tertiary' device, then reply.
brb.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It's probably the restocking fee that keeps me from just randomly testing phones. I do a LOT of research before getting a device, and generally try to choose the best option for me. My last search was roughly started 5 months before I actually committed to spending my limited funds. I completely missed that the S10+ had a 5G model, or I very well might've pulled the trigger on that one, instead of the Note 20, since I could've gotten a 256 Gig device for less than the 128 Gig Note 20. But, I also took into account how much longer the Note 20 will be supported.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My local AT&T stores have been good about not charging me restocking fees and activation fees but I try not to abue it. I figured I'd give the Z Flip³ a try but it's clear to me that I'm going to keep it. There's too much to like so I'll pay the extra $20 a month for it.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Tbh restocking fee is usually $45 or so to try a phone for 14 days it's not a bad rental till you decide... Just get insurance for that time or be careful lol

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have only returned a phone once. HTC EVO 3D. I bought it for my wife and she still had the OG EVO 4G and the EVO 3D offered no real upgrade. So, I returned it. That was 2011 and I haven't done any returns since.

I do all my research and reading before buying a phone, sometimes if it's used, I'll keep reading and waiting until the price drops. I'd rather be sure in what I'm buying rather than impulse buying.

I considered the Flip but the budget didn't fit so I passed. Plus, I'd like to see the front screen be usable for texts when it's flip closed rather than having to open it up.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have only returned a phone once. HTC EVO 3D. I bought it for my wife and she still had the OG EVO 4G and the EVO 3D offered no real upgrade. So, I returned it. That was 2011 and I haven't done any returns since.

I do all my research and reading before buying a phone, sometimes if it's used, I'll keep reading and waiting until the price drops. I'd rather be sure in what I'm buying rather than impulse buying.

I considered the Flip but the budget didn't fit so I passed. Plus, I'd like to see the front screen be usable for texts when it's flip closed rather than having to open it up.
This is good. I am an impulse buyer, especially with tech. It is fun but sometimes a hassle.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Battery life is no doubt the biggest reason for return. With a lot of the bigger screen phones have bigger battery a lot of people expect for the z flip 3 to have the same level of battery life or better(which is crazy when you think about) than their previous phone with almost twice the battery capacity. This is a niche phone that appeals to the masses unfortunately some are willing to compromise on battery and some aren't. Good job for the rep giving a warning to people about battery life before hand to deescalate so many returns from uneducated buyers.

The trade off is portability.......and I believe it's a heat issue if a larger battery was installed. In the tech forums....they talk about the heat issue 8f larger battery tech was installed. I know that Samsung does not want a repeat of exploding batteries that catch fire 🔥.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The trade off is portability.......and I believe it's a heat issue if a larger battery was installed. In the tech forums....they talk about the heat issue 8f larger battery tech was installed. I know that Samsung does not want a repeat of exploding batteries that catch fire .
I am not quite sure I follow. A larger battery couldn't be installed because it would generate more heat?? That's an interesting perspective. There are 2 halves of the flip. The larger battery could be split between the 2 halves. 2000mAh in each half. I would be interested in the evidence that that would present a thermal risk.

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I am not quite sure I follow. A larger battery couldn't be installed because it would generate more heat?? That's an interesting perspective. There are 2 halves of the flip. The larger battery could be split between the 2 halves. 2000mAh in each half. I would be interested in the evidence that that would present a thermal risk.

I follow quite a few tech podcasts.....and from what I've heard.....larger batteries would generate more heat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781