So what gives with the Z Flip 3?

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
There have been no posts in here for days! Seems like a sudden lack of interest. I went over to Swappa to check them out there and I'm finding the same thing there. This phone is almost new yet the few that are selling at Swappa are going for low prices, and a few that are priced crazy cheap aren't getting much attention.

I bought one and I liked the flip part of the phone a lot, it was the battery that brought me back to my S21 +.

But seriously, why is no one talking about the Flip 3 here, or buying them at Swappa? Is there some really bad news about them that I'm not aware of?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There have been no posts in here for days! Seems like a sudden lack of interest. I went over to Swappa to check them out there and I'm finding the same thing there. This phone is almost new yet the few that are selling at Swappa are going for low prices, and a few that are priced crazy cheap aren't getting much attention.

I bought one and I liked the flip part of the phone a lot, it was the battery that brought me back to my S21 +.

But seriously, why is no one talking about the Flip 3 here, or buying them at Swappa? Is there some really bad news about them that I'm not aware of?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.it...-flip-3-screen-durability-epic-fail-users.htm

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, the screen issue is becoming more and more reported. However I do not believe Samsung agrees except to put out a video to try and show its durability. Not sure what the percentage of cracked screens are but the reports are enough to turn people off. I put mine in the drawer even if its still under warranty, and just use it occasionally in doors. Basically as the temperature drops this winter that might even further the issue.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Foldable phones are not quite mainstream enough. Still sales have been great thus far. When Apple gets into the game maybe in 2023 or so. Maybe then a folding phone will become mainstream. Right now, most people are happy with the current candy bar, brick devices. But the success of the z flip 3 proves that many are willing to try something different.

Also I've had the flip since release and haven't experienced any problems. Perhaps most z flip owners have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Every phone has a few issues reported after release. This phone is no different.. I still think it's a very popular phone. A lot of people that I know love their phones. I had it for a while and I thought it was a great phone as well... The low prices on Swappa are because of a lot of great trade-in deals and also I know for a fact that employes at some carriers and other places received ridiculously low buy offers and a lot of them are on the market for resale... Also there are people that just don't like to buy on Swappa and they just rather finance..

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I love mine, but the Z flip is still a pretty niche product. Although it's selling beyond Samsung's expectations, it's still a form factor that many do not yet trust yet.

Also, what's to talk about? Unless people are having issues, (like in the Google or S21 forums), we can only post praise for this phone so much before it becomes ridiculous.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
You're judging the interest of this phone based on what you see in a tech forum? First off this phone isn't really targeted towards tech enthuses as it's more targeted to an average consumer that wants a big device in a compact design. I will say that the flip 3 is a head turner and everyone that sees me with it commenting on how they love the design and are curious how I like it. Judging by most (Samsung/Google) threads they isn't a lot of participation. Maybe most people are in the real world enjoying their phone.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Z Flip 3 since launch also. I have had no issues whatsoever with it. I love it! I was getting tired of the candy bar phones that were getting bigger and bigger.

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had the flip for over a month now. I only replaced the previous one because I wanted the 256gb version. I love this phone. It's gorgeous! It feels great in my hand. I can do everything I want on it. The battery life is atrocious though but it's not enough for me to give it up. It's nice to put it in a shirt pocket and for it not to fall out lol! I still have my Samsung 21 Ultra which is in my draw as a spare. I also have the Galaxy note 20 which I need to sell. I don't miss using it either. I will never buy another slab phone. Flip for me forever!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I finally gave in to my craving today and picked up a 256 gig version on a Black Friday sale :p I was definitely waiting to see what was going on with the screen cracking issues, but I've only heard of a small number of those, and an absolutely overwhelming amount of praise for the phone. The only negative I've been consistently hearing is that the battery life is lacking for heavier users. I was able to make a pixel 1 with it's notoriously small 2800 mah battery last me all day for years with plenty of battery left at bedtime, so I'm not the least concerned about the Flips battery for my usage ;) I'm definitely a light user lol.

I believe the Flip is Samsung's best high-end selling smartphone this year, followed by the Fold. Samsung is almost singlehandedly turning the foldable phone segment into something mainstream. I really wanted a foldable from Google, because I'm a huge pixel fan, but it's going to take years for another company to reach the level Samsungs already at.... and frankly, even though I'm not a big Samsung fan, I'm tired of waiting :eek: :p

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I finally gave in to my craving today and picked up a 256 gig version on a Black Friday sale I was definitely waiting to see what was going on with the screen cracking issues, but I've only heard of a small number of those, and an absolutely overwhelming amount of praise for the phone. The only negative I've been consistently hearing is that the battery life is lacking for heavier users. I was able to make a pixel 1 with it's notoriously small 2800 mah battery last me all day for years with plenty of battery left at bedtime, so I'm not the least concerned about the Flips battery for my usage ;) I'm definitely a light user lol.

I believe the Flip is Samsung's best high-end selling smartphone this year, followed by the Fold. Samsung is almost singlehandedly turning the foldable phone segment into something mainstream. I really wanted a foldable from Google, because I'm a huge pixel fan, but it's going to take years for another company to reach the level Samsungs already at.... and frankly, even though I'm not a big Samsung fan, I'm tired of waiting :eek: :p
Congrats

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Overdramatic article. This isn't a widespread issue.
He asked for a reason and that article very well is a reason. I never said it was the only reason, but it obviously will be a reason why. There are a lot of other articles I can go look for that might not be so dramatic, but the reason is still there. Any Screen issues combined with newer technology and it's a issue even if it isn't widespread, there's enough reports to create such articles. I've also said a few times there could be reasons the flip 3 is having screens cracking. Watch a Flossy video on the flip 3, the cool effect of one handed lift corner and flip it open. I personally hope it's something like that, but nobody will admit to something like that as Samsung wouldn't replace it free if they did.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Watch a Flossy video on the flip 3, the cool effect of one handed lift corner and flip it open. I personally hope it's something like that, but nobody will admit to something like that as Samsung wouldn't replace it free if they did.

Yes and Flossy has stated that he flipped the original z flip thousands of times and without issue. Samsung even improved the hinge for the z flip 3. So I too tend to think its not a real concern.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes and Flossy has stated that he flipped the original z flip thousands of times and without issue. Samsung even improved the hinge for the z flip 3. So I too tend to think its not a real concern.
It may not be a main concern until your the one with the issue. I know I don't want to be the one with that issue. That's the lottery I would win.

As far as Flossy, he doesn't use a phone long enough for those issues. I'll never be convinced that flipping the phone open like that isn't a stress issue for it. Most people probably don't do that which could explain why it's not a big issue. Who knows, as said before, OP wanted ideas why they are cheaper now and this is very well a reason it could be. It is what it is, the fold 3 isn't out of the woods yet IMO. These phones are hitting mass consumers for the first time this year, there's still plenty of time for issues to pop up.

You guys want another reason.. Gas prices are high, food prices are high.. Disposable income is lower so maybe people are buying less extras such as folding phones. There's 2 reasons now. The fold 3 pricing is low on Swappa also

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It may not be a main concern until your the one with the issue. I know I don't want to be the one with that issue. That's the lottery I would win.

As far as Flossy, he doesn't use a phone long enough for those issues. I'll never be convinced that flipping the phone open like that isn't a stress issue for it. Most people probably don't do that which could explain why it's not a big issue. Who knows, as said before, OP wanted ideas why they are cheaper now and this is very well a reason it could be. It is what it is, the fold 3 isn't out of the woods yet IMO. These phones are hitting mass consumers for the first time this year, there's still plenty of time for issues to pop up.

You guys want another reason.. Gas prices are high, food prices are high.. Disposable income is lower so maybe people are buying less extras such as folding phones. There's 2 reasons now. The fold 3 pricing is low on Swappa also

I've had both flips with no issues and there's 3 of them in my family so...

Samsung phones always price low compared to iPhones (which are selling very well also, despite gas prices).

Samsung offers huge discounts and trade ins on their phones which decreases value. None of this is anything new.

As for why this forum is dead... apparently all it needed was this very thread...lmao

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had both flips with no issues and there's 3 of them in my family so...

Samsung phones always price low compared to iPhones (which are selling very well also, despite gas prices).

Samsung offers huge discounts and trade ins on their phones which decreases value. None of this is anything new.

As for why this forum is dead... apparently all it needed was this very thread...lmao
Look, I just listed a reason, that's all, nothing more nothing less. If you don't think reports of cracked screens for no apparent reason won't discourage people buying it, then that's your opinion. My opinion is it will. I don't care about the forum traffic or Samsung sales...I just listed a reason the OP asked for, it's a possible reason. The horse is beyond beaten dead by now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Look, I just listed a reason, that's all, nothing more nothing less. If you don't think reports of cracked screens for no apparent reason won't discourage people buying it, then that's your opinion. My opinion is it will. I don't care about the forum traffic or Samsung sales...I just listed a reason the OP asked for, it's a possible reason. The horse is beyond beaten dead by now.

Except forum traffic and Samsung sales is precisely what the OP asked about. You offered your opinion and so did I. So you kinda did care, otherwise you would have left your thoughts and never returned to this "dead forum".

Just not adding up...and that's also my opinion :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2