damn Flip 3, you were great

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Well, had the Flip 3 since August, loved it for it's oh so cool form factor. Has proven itself to be a fun phone in every way except durability. The screen began to crack about a month ago, right along the crease. Big crack too. Sammy wouldn't help or even honour the years insurance that came with it. Said it was wear and tear. Then it fell on its open screen from about 3 inches and some of the pixels just fell out. Left a white, bright hole. Paid for the screen to be replaced and then traded it in for the ultra. I was always a note user anyway but can't say I'm not gutted. It's been fun. I reckon I'll wait until the flip 5, by then issues should have been resolved. Ultra get delivered tomorrow. I'm excited and a little sad in equal measures.....but I have missed that S-pen....

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The Flips and Folds are about 8 month phones, give or take. I've seen tons of them on here, and other places, with the screens consistently failing within that time frame :eek:

I have a brand new Flip 3 I bought before all the failures started popping up... now I'm a little leery to use it :( I plan on always keeping it open unless it's going in my pocket... and since I work from home it won't be getting folded much. It looked so cool and was on sale, but I knew I shouldn't have bought it lol. Oh well, Sammy got me on this one :-\

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
The Flips and Folds are about 8 month phones, give or take. I've seen tons of them on here, and other places, with the screens consistently failing within that time frame :eek:

I have a brand new Flip 3 I bought before all the failures started popping up... now I'm a little leery to use it :( I plan on always keeping it open unless it's going in my pocket... and since I work from home it won't be getting folded much. It looked so cool and was on sale, but I knew I shouldn't have bought it lol. Oh well, Sammy got me on this one :-\
If it's any consolation, my son got the Flip3 on release and he is not kind to his phones but he's still loving it and hasn't had problems. Hope it stays that way for him... and you.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Flip 3 since September. Every week I use it in the grocery store to self scan items to put in my cart. The phone gets opened and closed MULIPLE times each shopping trip every time I scan an item. I have had no issues with the screen or anything else. Maybe I have just been lucky but there it is.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Flip 3 since September. Every week I use it in the grocery store to self scan items to put in my cart. The phone gets opened and closed MULIPLE times each shopping trip every time I scan an item. I have had no issues with the screen or anything else. Maybe I have just been lucky but there it is.
It is interesting to read everyone's different experiences with the Flip³ and Fold³. I'm really interested to see what the Fold⁴ offers. I'm looking for increased durability or more assurance from Samsung that they'll deal with any screen issues promptly...basically, I want more confidence in the products.+

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious if the cracking in the screen is something to just expect with a device like this. I'm not saying this device should never be purchased, but just posing the thought that this is the nature of the beast. Something that is constantly bent will eventually crack. Thin sheets of plastic, while flexible, become brittle when exposed to prolonged heat, and no longer remain flexible.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious if the cracking in the screen is something to just expect with a device like this. I'm not saying this device should never be purchased, but just posing the thought that this is the nature of the beast. Something that is constantly bent will eventually crack. Thin sheets of plastic, while flexible, become brittle when exposed to prolonged heat, and no longer remain flexible.
I think it may be but I also hope they'll be able to increase the durability so that cracking takes significantly longer to occur. ...like 2 years of heavy use may require a replaced screen protector. ...or at least Samsung committing to replace the screen protector, at their cost, at least 2x per year, for 2 years. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm genuinely gutted to say goodbye to the Flip3, it's been great but having seen the crack across the screen with my o n eyes then having been on the recieving end of Samsung's unhelpful approach to it, it had to go. I'm loving the 22 ultra so far even tho it's only been 24hours. It's a massive phone, forgot how big these were

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm genuinely gutted to say goodbye to the Flip3, it's been great but having seen the crack across the screen with my o n eyes then having been on the recieving end of Samsung's unhelpful approach to it, it had to go. I'm loving the 22 ultra so far even tho it's only been 24hours. It's a massive phone, forgot how big these were
The S22 Ultra is a massive slab of greatness. I am genuinely happy every time I use it. I will say though, if you need an "extra" phone the Samsung certified re-newed Note 10/+ offers 85-90% of the S22 Ultra but the Note 10 is notably smaller.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have the Fold 3 since November and had not a single issue with it until now. 8 months and counting... I'm still considering buying Fold 4 if it offers a good upgrade over this one, but if that's not the case I plan to stick with it until Fold 5 release... Maybe I'm too optimistic? Hope not...

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My flip 3 is still in great condition. No problems whatsoever with it. Yeah a 6.7 inch phone that folds neatly into the palm of your hand is a wonderful thing. But the internals of that device just isn't on par with the s22 series. So I can understand why one would look to upgrade. But the s22 Ultra is a big phone and you'll have to lug it around, unlike with the flip :p

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
The form factor of the Flip has just been amazing. 2 days in and I feel the difference with the Ultra. It's big and made bigger by the case I have. But I'm going to stick with it. The camera is insane

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it may be but I also hope they'll be able to increase the durability so that cracking takes significantly longer to occur. ...like 2 years of heavy use may require a replaced screen protector. ...or at least Samsung committing to replace the screen protector, at their cost, at least 2x per year, for 2 years. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

Probably won't happen...Samsung can easily claim it's wear and tear; similar to the hinges on flip phones.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Probably won't happen...Samsung can easily claim it's wear and tear; similar to the hinges on flip phones.
I know but IMO it would help with their sales if they're proving to stand behind their product instead of making people feel like they're taking a risk that could be avoided by purchasing a different device.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no! So sorry that happened to you! I agree with you that hopefully, in the next couple of years, the Flip 5 will be a more durable beast and its wild ways will have been tamed a bit more.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have the Fold 3 since November and had not a single issue with it until now. 8 months and counting... I'm still considering buying Fold 4 if it offers a good upgrade over this one, but if that's not the case I plan to stick with it until Fold 5 release... Maybe I'm too optimistic? Hope not...

I believe some are confusing the screen protector cracking thinking it's the actual screen.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, had the Flip 3 since August, loved it for it's oh so cool form factor. Has proven itself to be a fun phone in every way except durability. The screen began to crack about a month ago, right along the crease. Big crack too. Sammy wouldn't help or even honour the years insurance that came with it. Said it was wear and tear. Then it fell on its open screen from about 3 inches and some of the pixels just fell out. Left a white, bright hole. Paid for the screen to be replaced and then traded it in for the ultra. I was always a note user anyway but can't say I'm not gutted. It's been fun. I reckon I'll wait until the flip 5, by then issues should have been resolved. Ultra get delivered tomorrow. I'm excited and a little sad in equal measures.....but I have missed that S-pen....

That sucks, I had mine for 11 months and replaced by AT&T Assurion, but not for a crease crack, but because my fingerprint reader stopped working to open/unlock my Flip3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith