10-29-2020 06:40 PM
48 12
tools
    Fake glass. See my other post for details.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-16-2020 12:59 PM
    I think it’s pretty cool tech but I doubt I’d ever pay that much for a phone. That, and it’s Samsung whom I am not a fan of.
    Did you all catch the CNET drop test? From 3 feet to concrete and completely shattered the outside glass. I get the wireless charging craze but I don’t need it. I wish metal backed phones were more of an option.
    Dropping out from three feet onto concrete and it breaking is not unusual, it complete depends on how it lands.

Metal backed phones are stupid, just as stupid as glass. You can have wireless charging with metal or ceramic. A high quality plastic or polymer is the way to go.
    02-16-2020 08:09 PM
    Dropping out from three feet onto concrete and it breaking is not unusual, it complete depends on how it lands.

Metal backed phones are stupid, just as stupid as glass. You can have wireless charging with metal or ceramic. A high quality plastic or polymer is the way to go.
    You can't have wireless with metal but you can have it with ceramic.
    02-16-2020 08:34 PM
    Saw this on YouTube this afternoon I'm not mad that it's not glass so much as I am that they are marketing it as such. All hands-on tests I've read and viewed have mentioned how much better this surface feels than the plastic on the Fold and the Razer, so they're apparently doing something different; unfortunately, it's still some sort of plastic :-(
    02-16-2020 10:01 PM
    Technically there's glass.

But yeah. I still see it as fake glass.
    02-19-2020 05:44 PM
    Can’t wait to hear all the broken screen complaints.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-19-2020 06:27 PM
    No interest in any screen folding device.

If it folds, it's gonna have a crease. And flexing a crease will only weaken it over time.

An immediate no-go for me.
    02-19-2020 06:32 PM
    Already getting the broken screen complaints and others. One article about Corning glass and the z even says this isn't the one to buy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftec...t-of-them/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...schott-corning
    02-19-2020 06:52 PM
    I'm finding myself more and more interested in the phone, despite all the commentary about the screen being plastic (Samsung marketing fubar there, if they'd advertised it acknowledging the fact it's a glass substrate with a layer on top, a lot of the current shouting could have been avoided) and such, it still piques my interest in a way few phones have in the last couple of years.

I find myself in the position of being 7 or 8 weeks out from contract term upgrade date, currently running an S9+, with both the S20 variants and the Z Flip slated to be available by that point. So my options are looking like:

S20+/S20 Ultra: Big step up in practically every sense.
    Z Flip: Effectively a folding S10 on new software. Much smaller step up in spec, although still better than my S9.

Use case: I mostly use my main camera for shots of opportunity, it never sees much use as a serious camera, really. The one on my S9 is perfectly fine. this, in fact, it pretty much what I have to say about the whole show, the S9+ has functioned admirably in every task I have set it, and I have never really pushed its capabilities to the absolute limit (frankly, if it wasn't for normal deterioration and the problem of lack of software updated at some point sooner than the s20/Z, I could stick with it.) It's things like that that mean I don't see the (clearly better) spec on the s20 in terms of cameras, storage, memory, etc as too much of a plus point over the Z as I'm unlikely to ever need all the extra oomph.

So essentially it comes down to trad, more robust phone with bigger battery but overkill vs folding, fits in pocket better but possibly will have screen life/durability issues. and the cool factor.
    02-20-2020 08:09 AM
    You can't have wireless with metal but you can have it with ceramic.
    The way around that is you basically cut a hole the size of the coil in the back and fill it with a conductive material, then finish it to match. Not hard.
    02-23-2020 05:39 PM
    switched from xs max to z flip and I love it! its different and a conversation starter when people see me using it in public. and the best part closing it to end a call!
    06-20-2020 01:47 PM
    The way around that is you basically cut a hole the size of the coil in the back and fill it with a conductive material, then finish it to match. Not hard.
    That's never going to happen.
    06-20-2020 02:54 PM
    switched from xs max to z flip and I love it! its different and a conversation starter when people see me using it in public. and the best part closing it to end a call!
    Sorry, I don't need a foldimg phone as a conversation starter or to impress people.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-20-2020 02:54 PM
    Pass. Hard pass. My last flip was a BlackBerry Style, which was a true flip, but that experience is the last I plan to have. I'm in the "Big Screen Slab" camp, because I do waaaay too much on a phone screen to take the chance of it failing like that at a bad time. And any time is a bad time.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-21-2020 03:12 AM
    I have zero interest in it. I prefer a bigger screen with no moving parts that are subject to breakage due to wear and tear.

It has no benefits to me for my use case.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-21-2020 03:21 AM
    I put a screen protector on my Z Flip from Amazon (the kind that has the tabs that fold over each other during installation) to put an end to all the fingerprint smudges and micro scratches I was getting on the plastic screen...problem solved, the screen protector sticks to the middle crease beautifully and my Z Flip screen is now GORGEOUS with a glass like look!!
    06-22-2020 12:36 PM
    I'm super curious about the upcoming Z FLIP 5G. Specs will be a huge decision maker.
    07-06-2020 11:08 AM
    Frankly......waiting for the 2nd gen galaxy flip 2 with 5G..
    07-19-2020 02:23 PM
    I have a normal phone for every day use, but I am able to indulge myself as an early adopter with new technology, have looked at the Samsung Galaxy z flip both versions are available,. as 5G will not be available in my area for probably two years,
    it appears only 5G and slightly faster processor is the only main difference and higher price,
    So awaiting the Motorola flip 5G with major redesign and a lower price compared to the first one,, plus it's unlocked and has a sim card a serious omission in first version as E Sims are not available in my region from the network available, so a choice between Motorola or Samsung ?
    09-13-2020 02:40 PM
    I would lean more towards the Motorola than the Samsung. I like the idea of having a small screen on the front with some usable space.
    The tiny little screen on the Samsung flip is pretty much worthless for almost anything. That and I like the way the Motorola closes and how it looks when it’s shut more than the Samsung. If I had money to burn I’d probably get the Motorola.
    09-13-2020 02:47 PM
    Rumour has it that the next iteration launching next spring MAY have a better camera and larger outer secondary screen. If so hello yeah I'm m gonna switch!
    10-29-2020 05:12 PM
    10-29-2020 05:19 PM
    Forgot! Yes that too!
    Rumour has it that the next iteration launching next spring MAY have a better camera and larger outer secondary screen. If so hello yeah I'm m gonna switch!
    10-29-2020 06:40 PM
48 12