I got it, and I like it!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Phone came today, a nice early surprise, and I pretty much have it all setup... It's an interesting device for sure and here are my initial thoughts on it. My d brand skin has not arrived yet however.

-It's a fingerprint magnet! After a few seconds of use the entire device is a hot mess of smudges. The skin will stop this so I hope it come soon.
-Not easy to open and close one handed. But this is expected as the device needs to be firmer so you can use it in the stand modes.
-You can feel the crease when interacting with the phone
-The crease is not really visible when using the device
-It's fast and snappy.
-Split screen is sweet on it when you have it in stand mode
-My AT&T version came with a bunch of crapware pre-installed. Easily removed but still a bummer
-I wish the front notification screen was a little larger.
-Is it worth $1380? Maybe. The cool factor alone is pretty sweet.

I wanted the new Razr when it was 1st announced. After seeing the reviews I decided to pass on it. The Z Flip is hands down the better phone -v- the Razr. I had the OG Razr back in the day and love the snap close and flip open feeling it gave. You can flip the Z open but it's not as easy as say the Razr.

Overall I like it. I have 2 weeks to decide if I'll keep it or not but so far, I am digging it. I got the black one and will post some photos with the skin once my d brand arrives and I get it slapped on.

A few photos

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Thank you for your review and for the gorgeous photos!

I too loved "snapping" my phone shut in the days of the flip phone. I wonder if it will eventually be easier for you to close and open the Z - maybe because it's new and hasn't been used much, it's a little "stiff"?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your review and for the gorgeous photos!

I too loved "snapping" my phone shut in the days of the flip phone. I wonder if it will eventually be easier for you to close and open the Z - maybe because it's new and hasn't been used much, it's a little "stiff"?

It might loosen up a little over time but I don't think they intended it to be an easy flip open type of hinge as the hinge needs to be firm so it will stay in the desired position when used in stand mode (or whatever it's called).. If the hinge was less firm, the phone might not stay in that mode(s). It's fine and it can still be flipped open.

Yes flipping open and snapping closed is a VERY satisfying feeling....

Split screen in stand mode is awesome! One of my fav features so far...

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Since my Gray Ultra is delayed I'm thinking about this.

There's no issues right, like the Fold right, I don't really ask but I'm bring this back to Canada.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Since my Gray Ultra is delayed I'm thinking about this.

There's no issues right, like the Fold right, I don't really ask but I'm bring this back to Canada.

Probably to early to tell. I have not had any issues with mine but I've only had it 2 days..

I am leaning towards returning it though. The cool factor is def 10+ but after using it for a few days I have to agree with this post that was made a few above

When we all had flip phones we weren’t on them all day. You answered an occasional call and sent an occasional sms using the T9 keyboard. Phone usage is vastly different now.

I check my phone or use it numerous times a day. Having to pick it up, flip it open then close it after is wearing on me. With a standard phone I can tap the screen to wake it or print unlock it and interact with out ever having to do more.

I might order the S20 (small'ish one) and send this back after the S20 arrives.

Don't get me wrong it a super cool phone and back in the Razr days I loved that phone but as the post I quoted above says, back in those days we did not interact with the phone as often as we do these days..

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It might loosen up a little over time but I don't think they intended it to be an easy flip open type of hinge as the hinge needs to be firm so it will stay in the desired position when used in stand mode (or whatever it's called).. If the hinge was less firm, the phone might not stay in that mode(s). It's fine and it can still be flipped open.

Yes flipping open and snapping closed is a VERY satisfying feeling....

Split screen in stand mode is awesome! One of my fav features so far...

You have a point! It can't ever be "too loose" or else that would signify a problem!

Ah, that snapping feeling... It is missed!

That split screen in Stand Mode sounds amazing!

omnia1

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I played with this today at Best Buy. When folded, it's certainly compact in my hand. Definitely more compact than the other folding phone. But after folding it and unfolding it and folding it and unfolding again...over and over again...the thought occurred to me: will this start to become a constant hassle to me having to remove the phone from pocket, unfold the fold, press power button, either use finger print or facial recognition, swipe the screen up to open phone? I don't actually know how many steps there are to access the phone, but the act of unfolding, folding phone many, many, many, many, many times over throughout the day made me feel.......tired thinking about it.

Very important consideration.

The process is actually much simpler. Flip open the phone and touch the fingerprint sensor with your registered fingerprint. You're in! There is no need to depress the power button or swipe up on anything.

What makes this process works well is the Z Flip's excellent fingerprint sensor. It is so fast and accurate that unlocking is instantaneous. In comparison, the in-display fingerprint sensor of say the S10+ is dismal.

Ironically, because I can never be sure that the S10 will fingerprint unlock on the first try, I'd rather flip open the Flip and touch the fingerprint sensor to access the phone. I'm assured that I will always get into my phone without fail, each time every time.

For me, the main disadvantage is that I need two hands to open the Flip. But I've come to grips with that.

SwitchBoardDj

Aug 21, 2019
Visit site

The process is actually much simpler. Flip open the phone and touch the fingerprint sensor with your registered fingerprint. You're in! There is no need to depress the power button or swipe up on anything.

What makes this process works well is the Z Flip's excellent fingerprint sensor. It is so fast and accurate that unlocking is instantaneous. In comparison, the in-display fingerprint sensor of say the S10+ is dismal.

Ironically, because I can never be sure that the S10 will fingerprint unlock on the first try, I'd rather flip open the Flip and touch the fingerprint sensor to access the phone. I'm assured that I will always get into my phone without fail, each time every time.

For me, the main disadvantage is that I need two hands to open the Flip. But I've come to grips with that.
Yea the fingerprint sensor on the Flip is awesome. I wish the Ultra had the same setup

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Wow, so the fingerprint sensor is that good? That's pretty awesome! Hopefully that means that kind of software will soon be available for S-series devices.

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Taking mine back. Two weeks with it was fun but prefer my Fold over it. Someone will get a good deal if they sell it again since it was an open box for $1172 plus taxes. Nothing I disliked about it but no sense on 2 foldables at this time along w a Iphone 7plus.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Taking mine back too. just didn't match up with my use case. loved the size though and once it improves I'll def be interested.

I didn't like the slender screen and the ratio for media consumption and I watch a lot of media consumption from my phone.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I played with one at a best buy and its definitely not for me way too fragile and prices way to high staying with Note 10 plus.

hengst2404

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
First day with mine and obviously excited to have and use it. I am taking a day by day approach to things, but I was ready for a change. Look I don't live on my phone like a 13 year old kid, so the physical act of opening it up, activating the super-fast fingerprint sensor, is not a struggle for me. When I read people complaining about stuff like that, I smirk. What's old is new again indeed.

DocGo

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I still use mine. I have this and a Note 10+. I must admit, the first week or so, I was so afraid to break the screen so would touch it very lightly while using. But now, I use just like my regular phones (I am always very careful anyway) and it has been great so far. Of course, would like to have more battery power, but for now, I can use it pretty much all day without issue.

big samm

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
Last post was almost a month ago, for people who kept their z flip, how is it holding up?
Screen is still intact? Does the phone scratches easily? Is the hinge still smooth as the day you got the phone? How's the camera?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy