Does anyone know which technology the Z Flip uses for Samsung Pay or anything else for that matter, MST or NFC?

Ever since I've started using MST, I don't think I could ever go back to a phone that uses NFC. The ability to use Samsung Pay basically everywhere is fantastic. I sometimes shock people when they say they don't accept payments using mobile.
    03-12-2020 10:25 AM
    I think all new Samsung phones use NFC now only because it's more main stream now. But I could be wrong.
    03-12-2020 10:30 AM
    I thought Samsung was phasing out MST, but the official specs say it does support MST as well as NFC: http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy...-z-flip/specs/
    03-12-2020 11:30 AM
    mst is not nearly as reliable and very old tech that needs to die. but it does support both.
    03-13-2020 09:08 AM
    Samsung's newer watches stopped supporting MST, I believe.
    03-13-2020 01:52 PM
    Samsung's newer watches stopped supporting MST, I believe.
    I believe you're right.

I know I just went and gas and used MST on my Ultra, worked flawlessly.
    03-13-2020 01:55 PM
    mst is not nearly as reliable and very old tech that needs to die. but it does support both.
    I'm confused??? MST is a newer technology than NFC and doesn't require vendors/stores to change there older payment terminals to newer ones that support NFC. Which is why a lot of businesses do not upgrade because of the added cost. It's the whole reason that makes Samsung Pay differ from Google and Apple pay.
    I know they don't add it to the watches, but to discontinue it in there phones would be a bit crazy.
    03-15-2020 10:48 AM
    I'm confused??? MST is a newer technology than NFC and doesn't require vendors/stores to change there older payment terminals to newer ones that support NFC. Which is why a lot of businesses do not upgrade because of the added cost. It's the whole reason that makes Samsung Pay differ from Google and Apple pay.
    I know they don't add it to the watches, but to discontinue it in there phones would be a bit crazy.
    Yea I used it the other day at a non-NFC terminal and it worked great. I don't think they will get rid of it in the phones. At least, I hope not.
    03-15-2020 10:50 AM
    One of the main issues is that payment machines are phasing out magnetic bar readers, in favor of chip readers and contactless sensors, since those are more secure.
    03-15-2020 12:10 PM
    MST is antique technology. Literally the only place hanging onto it stubbornly is North America. The rest of the world phased it out 11 or 12 years ago. NFC is everywhere around the rest of the world but American companies drag their heels as they don't want to pay for newer NFC tech. The other guy is absolutely right, MST needs to die ASAP so there's a universal standard around the globe
    03-15-2020 12:35 PM
    I hope they do not get rid of mst. I still use it quite a bit. however, based on my usage, must terminals that does not have nfc, are located away from the register. they are difficult to reach so it is sometimes just easier to use the card. also sometimes it is difficult to find the sweet spot for the first couple of times which makes me wonder how difficult it would be with a watch. I use the watch on all nfc terminals but there are times, for whatever reason, it does not want to cooperate. personally I would not have a mst watch, just too big and would be awkward to use on the terminals in my area.
    03-15-2020 03:59 PM
    MST is antique technology. Literally the only place hanging onto it stubbornly is North America. The rest of the world phased it out 11 or 12 years ago. NFC is everywhere around the rest of the world but American companies drag their heels as they don't want to pay for newer NFC tech. The other guy is absolutely right, MST needs to die ASAP so there's a universal standard around the globe
    I tend to agree, however a lot of the older terminals in the US was just purchased a couple of years ago because of the chip requirement. IMO, Most businesses of the older terminals went the cheap route because at the time, nfc was not that well known. based on the reactions I get with using it at the local businesses with new cashiers, it is still not that well known. why would a small business invest in something that may not be used that much.
    03-15-2020 04:03 PM
    If swiping is being phased out, then having MST serves no purpose. Yeah every now an again I wow a clerk with Samsung pay, but I'm now perfectly OK with just using google pay.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-09-2020 10:44 PM