Screen Protectors

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I hate to bring this up, but you knew this was going to happen especially with someone who's only dealt with Notes and S series before... and I've been trying to look up experiences of those who owned the Z Fold 2 but -

- do people plan on putting screen protectors on this phone, and if so, cover only? Or inside as well? I originally thought any protector on the inside is a no-no, and the Fold 2 came with one already applied. However, I see a lot of videos of people taking the factor installed one inside off, and then putting a new one on. Is this even safe to do?

And for the cover display, do people plan on something on front? I don't think glass is an option if you want to have a case because every case I see looks like it would interfere.

Or is it all overkill? I was wondering what people were thinking. For the Note, I always opted for glass since I was writing on the thing, but I wonder if it's necessary for a screen I will not be writing on now (though I understand there probably will be a factory installed one on the cover).... and for the inside, is the factory installed one (assuming there is) that bad that it needs to be replaced.

My Note 20 U last year did not come with a factory installed one int he US as I believe they did in other regions.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's official recommendation from the first foldable is that only the factory-installed one should be used. There are myriad of stories online about people wrecking their factory protectors AND screens due to the use of 3rd party protectors (and the ones who didn't 'kill' it, complain that if it's a one-piece it does end up getting an ugly crease detached from the middle with dust galore or you have to settle for two-piece ones that make you notice the line in the middle a lot).

For Samsung foldables the factory-installed protector is standard for all AND is considered a part of the screen, not an addition to it.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's official recommendation from the first foldable is that only the factory-installed one should be used. There are myriad of stories online about people wrecking their factory protectors AND screens due to the use of 3rd party protectors (and the ones who didn't 'kill' it, complain that if it's a one-piece it does end up getting an ugly crease detached from the middle with dust galore or you have to settle for two-piece ones that make you notice the line in the middle a lot).

For Samsung foldables the factory-installed protector is standard for all AND is considered a part of the screen, not an addition to it.

Yes, I do recall for the first one, but is that also the case for the second one? I really haven't kept up with it, but I recall the first one was not even supposed to be removed. For the second one, it seems that people have removed it without issue and installed another one. Doesn't mean that they were supposed to I guess!

Having said all of that, I don't think I'll be removing the inside protector because I am leaning toward what you say, though I am wondering if anyone who owned the previous Fold did it.

I feel like such a n00b with foldables.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I’m currently with no protectors ZF2 but I did apply an inside one previously and it went on just fine …I just didn’t like it after a few days and removed it …

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I hate to bring this up, but you knew this was going to happen especially with someone who's only dealt with Notes and S series before... and I've been trying to look up experiences of those who owned the Z Fold 2 but -

- do people plan on putting screen protectors on this phone, and if so, cover only? Or inside as well? I originally thought any protector on the inside is a no-no, and the Fold 2 came with one already applied. However, I see a lot of videos of people taking the factor installed one inside off, and then putting a new one on. Is this even safe to do?

And for the cover display, do people plan on something on front? I don't think glass is an option if you want to have a case because every case I see looks like it would interfere.

Or is it all overkill? I was wondering what people were thinking. For the Note, I always opted for glass since I was writing on the thing, but I wonder if it's necessary for a screen I will not be writing on now (though I understand there probably will be a factory installed one on the cover).... and for the inside, is the factory installed one (assuming there is) that bad that it needs to be replaced.

My Note 20 U last year did not come with a factory installed one int he US as I believe they did in other regions.

I definitely will put WSD on the outer screen and leave the large one alone.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for bringing this up. When I bought the S20 Ultra I didn't even realize it had a factory protector. What an *****! Anyway, assuming there is a factory protector on the cover display, that's good enough for me (but how long will it last?). I will try and get away without a protector on the inner display since it should usually be protected. Usually.......

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
That still charges you a sweet 200+ buck deductible if I read the tiny print correctly... I did read that wrong. It's 29 bucks.
You sure? I heard reviewers saying it was a 200$+ deductible.
Guess i need to get myself to go read it too. Lol. I'm too lazy.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You sure? I heard reviewers saying it was a 200$+ deductible.
Guess i need to get myself to go read it too. Lol. I'm too lazy.

Well, I thought I saw $219 on the sign-up page, but their page says $29... and the keynote said 'one time replacement' (I assumed, for free) for the foldables this year. Incredible how little info there is on their webpage though. So... who wants to get it and break their screens to find out? haha

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for bringing this up. When I bought the S20 Ultra I didn't even realize it had a factory protector. What an *****! Anyway, assuming there is a factory protector on the cover display, that's good enough for me (but how long will it last?). I will try and get away without a protector on the inner display since it should usually be protected. Usually.......

I am thinking much the same - just use the ones that it comes with until they go bad. Or at least experience them until deciding whether to get new protectors. I doubt I would want to put anything inside, but I would consider something on the cover (just need it to be case compatible, so probably some TPU film perhaps). The thing is the Note 20U last year did not come with them in the US, but it did in other regions for some strange reason. Really hope they don't pull that with this phone.

blopez24

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I think they won't skimp on it wirh this phone. I know my 10+ came with a protector and still on there right now and I bought it at launch. I am notcing some bubbles now on it but nothing bad.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think they won't skimp on it wirh this phone. I know my 10+ came with a protector and still on there right now and I bought it at launch. I am notcing some bubbles now on it but nothing bad.

They can't. The protector is PART of the screen on the foldables. Unlike their standard phones, where the protector was an accessory.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Whitestone Dome has a glass screen protector for the inside. I am skeptical that but what I am more turned off by is the $90 price for ONE. I am a fan of Whitestone Dome but their last version for the Note 20 Ultra was a disappointment in that it broke way too easily. Their warranty replacement was a bit of BS as you had to pay like $20 shipping. I think $90 is absurd even if it's a patent pending some revolutionary glass. At least give two of them especially since it looks like you can easily screw this up.

https://www.whitestonedome.com/coll...tg-screen-protector-1set-pcs-ultra-thin-glass

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Whitestone Dome has a glass screen protector for the inside. I am skeptical that but what I am more turned off by is the $90 price for ONE. I am a fan of Whitestone Dome but their last version for the Note 20 Ultra was a disappointment in that it broke way too easily. Their warranty replacement was a bit of BS as you had to pay like $20 shipping. I think $90 is absurd even if it's a patent pending some revolutionary glass. At least give two of them especially since it looks like you can easily screw this up.

https://www.whitestonedome.com/coll...tg-screen-protector-1set-pcs-ultra-thin-glass
I pre-ordered that one, but I won't apply it until the factory installed one starts looking ugly.

Samsung here in Switzerland doesn't offer Samsung Care, unfortunately, but for the Fold3 they include a free screen replacement in the first year, probably as a means to convince potential buyers of the durability of the 3

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I was looking at this yesterday and found a video of someone applying it on YouTube. I just don’t like the idea of pulling off the factory installed screen protector right away. And, it didn’t look like on the video that the Whitestone dome one was bubble free either .

https://youtu.be/dlIKuNuL2-4

There is a 20% off code from them right now if you preorder by 8/25 though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante