10-08-2021 09:24 AM
89 123 ...
tools
    Hi, Imy Z Fold 3 (SM-F926B) is still on the July security patch. I have owned a lot of Samsung phones and the last two years I received every month an update. On my new Fold 3 not... Samsung Belgium can not help me and have no idea why this is the case...
    ANyone with some kind of explanation and idea how to get the september patch?

thanks!!
    09-20-2021 04:32 AM
    Welcome to Android Central.

You are correct, Samsung does a very decent job of putting out at minimum security updates each month. Carriers on the other hand are the ones who actually push these updates and they do it in a variety of ways. For example, here in the US it seems that carrier additions of devices get updated first. So if the device is branded by T-Mobile, Verizon or AT&T, those devices will get the update before an unlocked version of the device on their network. They also push updates in seemingly random groups, so not everyone gets them all at once but rather in clusters. Most of the time devices activated after launch will expect to get at least one update right out of the box but may wait days or weeks before getting the most recent update. Since you say this was a new purchase I wouldn't be overly worried that you haven't gotten the latest update, at least not until it has been a few weeks. If after a couple of weeks of not getting any update you can opt to try and force the update manually. (I'd go into more detail about Odin and updates but I don't know much about the process as I've never personally used it to update but I'm sure someone will chime in on the process and where to find it.)

In the meantime, most carrier customer service centers or manufacturer customer service centers cannot tell an individual user when they will or should get an update. This goes back to those groups I mentioned earlier. They're random and somewhere on a server, probably, there is something generating device numbers that says, it's 14:00 09/20/2021 time to start the next group OTA, but so far I've never heard of anyone who knows how to either access this information or has access to it.

Personally I would be patient and give your carrier a chance and some time before turning to trying to update myself manually. That's just me. Let's see if @mustang7757 has a different opinion. I've heard him refer to Odin so maybe he'll provide some how-to on that if you're interested.

If you would like to reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave replies, please create an account. This link will help you do that.. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-new-post.html
    Futurepieter and mustang7757 like this.
    09-20-2021 05:10 AM
    Both my Fold 3 and Flip 3 are on July.. This one is a little later than normal.. Usually we get it on the unlocked model month to 40 days after..
    Futurepieter likes this.
    09-20-2021 07:18 AM
    thank you for your elaborate reply, I just registered!
    It's just that I owned a lot of Samsung devices (unlocked) and I was always surprised of the quick nature of security updates... To be at the JULY update when we are 20/09/2021 just feels not right...
    bkdodger2 likes this.
    09-20-2021 07:30 AM
    Were all on july update straight out of the box ,they probably fixing some issues so at this point i think October we should see its first update then roll like normal afterwards.
    kevinpleasants and BergerKing like this.
    09-20-2021 09:00 AM
    [Moved this to Zfold3 forums ]
    09-20-2021 09:01 AM
    thank you for your elaborate reply, I just registered!
    It's just that I owned a lot of Samsung devices (unlocked) and I was always surprised of the quick nature of security updates... To be at the JULY update when we are 20/09/2021 just feels not right...
    [Changed this post from guest to you as owner of the post ]
    09-20-2021 09:03 AM
    Hoping we get one soon. My phone is buggy and the battery life sucks. Hoping there's bug fixes in the next one
    09-20-2021 09:34 AM
    Hoping we get one soon. My phone is buggy and the battery life sucks. Hoping there's bug fixes in the next one
    Is Facebook app on your phone? Battery drained app.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-20-2021 10:14 AM
    Is Facebook app on your phone? Battery drained app.
    It is. Is there a bug with the fold? It didn't cause problems on my Note 20 ultra. It's also not showing on my list of battery intensive apps.
    09-20-2021 05:02 PM
    It is. Is there a bug with the fold? It didn't cause problems on my Note 20 ultra. It's also not showing on my list of battery intensive apps.
    Not that I am aware of, so far my F3 is doing great with battery.
    09-20-2021 06:02 PM
    Not that I am aware of, so far my F3 is doing great with battery.
    Must be nice. I go through almost 200% battery a day. Usually charge twice at work and then another time at home lol
    09-20-2021 08:34 PM
    Facebook is one of the usual suspects in regards to apps that are resource hungry due to the way they constantly update in the background and send notifications.
    If Facebook does cause an issue then a person can change the preference settings and look at sleep and deep sleep app options, or access Facebook via their browser url instead and disable the Facebook app.
    09-20-2021 11:11 PM
    I have no FB and my battery life is surprisingly good (compared to Exynos Note 20 ultra AND the Fold 2)...
    BUT my Evernote app is taking up to 10 seconds to find notes (both on folded and unfolded display which is not the case on other Android phones!
    09-21-2021 03:01 AM
    Must be nice. I go through almost 200% battery a day. Usually charge twice at work and then another time at home lol
    I listened to Audio Books, 2 hours every day during driving to and from work. Watch Youtube 1 hour top, and browse web forum. I normally have about 78% left after, if I have time, I catch you Plex TV, still, over 50% left before bedtime.
    09-21-2021 05:25 PM
    Facebook is one of the usual suspects in regards to apps that are resource hungry due to the way they constantly update in the background and send notifications.
    If Facebook does cause an issue then a person can change the preference settings and look at sleep and deep sleep app options, or access Facebook via their browser url instead and disable the Facebook app.
    Yeah, I've been doing this for years and now completely free from Facebook. Got rid of it 2 years ago and have not look back.
    09-21-2021 05:26 PM
    Yeah, I've been doing this for years and now completely free from Facebook. Got rid of it 2 years ago and have not look back.
    Did they ever find your lost trade in?
    TMavC5 likes this.
    09-21-2021 08:09 PM
    Usually, when phone updates are pushed out, a dated thread will be started. So far, most of the threads I've seen about the ZF3's security, everyone is still on July.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-21-2021 08:23 PM
    Did they ever find your lost trade in?
    It was delivered, but I still have not heard anything from trade department.
    09-21-2021 09:09 PM
    Did you deep sleep as many apps as possible and disable stock apps you don't need? Dark mode Chrome with the rest of the system really helped me.
    09-21-2021 09:31 PM
    Did you deep sleep as many apps as possible and disable stock apps you don't need? Dark mode Chrome with the rest of the system really helped me.
    For me Chrome has been a system resource hog too so I now disable this and exclusively use Samsung Internet now,
    09-21-2021 11:15 PM
    For me Chrome has been a system resource hog too so I now disable this and exclusively use Samsung Internet now,
    Stop using Chrome or Edge, start using Brave.
    09-21-2021 11:16 PM
    Stop using Chrome or Edge, start using Brave.
    Everyone has their own preferences and if your choice of internet browser ticks those wants and needs boxes then sweet.

However in my own personal wants and needs I find that Samsung Internet integrates very well with the phone , provides the features I want and use, and does not cain the battery thus ticks my own boxes.
    09-21-2021 11:32 PM
    Everyone has their own preferences and if your choice of internet browser ticks those wants and needs boxes then sweet.

However in my own personal wants and needs I find that Samsung Internet integrates very well with the phone , provides the features I want and use, and does not cain the battery thus ticks my own boxes.
    +1 for Samsung internet. One handed use and customization at its finest.
    09-22-2021 12:59 AM

I like Brave because of the feature ad blocker and tracing.
    09-22-2021 09:00 AM
89 123 ...