YouTube Flex Mode Not Working

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, folks.

First let me say that my YouTube app is up to date with the latest version, (updating the app is the only thing I've ever found online as suggestions to fix this... some say it worked, some not.).

It's automatically selected as Flex Mode compatible in Labs.

However, when I try to use Flex Mode, the screen the video spans the entire top half initially, but as soon as I push play, it shrinks into just a square view.

Also, I do not show any controls at all on the bottom half, just the video info/comments section.

I've tried starting in full screen, then rotate/half fold, not starting full screen, and every permutation in between.

I've tried stopping the service also... no joy. :(

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thank you.

Take care,
Lou

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I'm trying to envision what you're seeing because I feel like I see the same as you, but I thought that is how Youtube flex mode is supposed to be. The top part would should the video which would be shrunk to fit within the aspect ratio, and the bottom half would be the video info and comments that you can scroll through. Is this not how Youtube flex is supposed to be? I don't get controls on the bottom half of the screen. I get that in some other apps - like Netflix which has controls on the bottom half. But not in Youtube.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I'm trying to envision what you're seeing because I feel like I see the same as you, but I thought that is how Youtube flex mode is supposed to be. The top part would should the video which would be shrunk to fit within the aspect ratio, and the bottom half would be the video info and comments that you can scroll through. Is this not how Youtube flex is supposed to be? I don't get controls on the bottom half of the screen. I get that in some other apps - like Netflix which has controls on the bottom half. But not in Youtube.

According to this video: https://youtu.be/P1bw6Qq_gJs

This is how it's working for her:
Screenshot_20210924-104728_YouTube.jpg

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This may sound dumb, but what you can try (and this is what I would try if I had this issue, better yet, if I had my phone already):

• Go into Labs and DISABLE the Flex Mode
  • Go into YouTube Settings and Clear CACHE (not Data)
  • Reboot Phone
  • Go into Labs and ENABLE Flex Mode
  • Test and see if it works then

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
This may sound dumb, but what you can try (and this is what I would try if I had this issue, better yet, if I had my phone already):

• Go into Labs and DISABLE the Flex Mode
  • Go into YouTube Settings and Clear CACHE (not Data)
  • Reboot Phone
  • Go into Labs and ENABLE Flex Mode
  • Test and see if it works then

Thank you, but unfortunately that's not an option.

There is no overarching Flex Mode on/off switch, nor the ability to enable/disable it for YouTube individually as you can for other applications.

The 3 dots in the upper right in the top picture is just "About Flex Mode."
CollageMaker_20210924_124655897.jpg

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ah, okay, understood. I wish I had my phone so I could have seen this. :D

(soon, it's shipped, just waiting to get here!)

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think she's using Youtube for that shot. That's how some of my other video apps look - but not Youtube.

Hmmm... I'll double check the video again... I thought she was using YouTube. Wouldn't be the first, won't be the last, time that I've been wrong... but do NOT tell my son that, lol.

Post Nine

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
she's not using YouTube, probably netflix or some other video streaming app. YouTube Flex mode will show comments and other recommended videos on the bottom screen.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
she's not using YouTube, probably netflix or some other video streaming app. YouTube Flex mode will show comments and other recommended videos on the bottom screen.

Which is what I'm seeing, thank you.

I'd still prefer the video stay full screen as it is in my picture, rather than be a square.

XDABased

Feb 15, 2022
Visit site
Please wipe cache partition.
I just noticed flex mode was not working for me on my camera app and YouTube. Recently upgraded to OneUI 4.0 Android 12.

Turn the phone off. When fully off, hold volume up key then press and hold the power/Bixby key. Let go of both when you see the boot menu. Press volume down several times until you see "wipe cache partition.) Once done, reboot phone.

Last edited:

SilverHaze

Aug 28, 2023
Visit site
Please wipe cache partition.
I just noticed flex mode was not working for me on my camera app and YouTube. Recently upgraded to OneUI 4.0 Android 12.

Turn the phone off. When fully off, hold volume up key then press and hold the power/Bixby key. Let go of both when you see the boot menu. Press volume down several times until you see "wipe cache partition.) Once done, reboot phone.
hey, I have a problem with my computer, it's also about the flexy mode player on youtube, so maybe it has something to do with the phone, but I doubt it, I haven't found anything about it anywhere on the internet so maybe one of you will know how to fix it. I will add that when I enter the second youtube account, my player is in a normal window and the title and comments are under the video, not next to it. please help :(thank you in advance (I'm adding a photo of what it looks like)

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu (1).png
    Zrzut ekranu (1).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Zrzut ekranu (5).png
    Zrzut ekranu (5).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member