Hello, folks.

First let me say that my YouTube app is up to date with the latest version, (updating the app is the only thing I've ever found online as suggestions to fix this... some say it worked, some not.).

It's automatically selected as Flex Mode compatible in Labs.

However, when I try to use Flex Mode, the screen the video spans the entire top half initially, but as soon as I push play, it shrinks into just a square view.

Also, I do not show any controls at all on the bottom half, just the video info/comments section.

I've tried starting in full screen, then rotate/half fold, not starting full screen, and every permutation in between.

I've tried stopping the service also... no joy.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thank you.

Take care,
    Lou
    09-23-2021 09:01 AM
    Have you tried play first and then fold and see if it goes to top half?
    09-23-2021 09:04 AM
    Have you tried play first and then fold and see if it goes to top half?
    Thank you, but yes sadly it does.

And no controls on the bottom half is also extremely annoying, regardless of the video size in the top half.
    09-23-2021 09:20 AM
    Hmm, I'm trying to envision what you're seeing because I feel like I see the same as you, but I thought that is how Youtube flex mode is supposed to be. The top part would should the video which would be shrunk to fit within the aspect ratio, and the bottom half would be the video info and comments that you can scroll through. Is this not how Youtube flex is supposed to be? I don't get controls on the bottom half of the screen. I get that in some other apps - like Netflix which has controls on the bottom half. But not in Youtube.
    09-23-2021 08:26 PM
    Hmm, I'm trying to envision what you're seeing because I feel like I see the same as you, but I thought that is how Youtube flex mode is supposed to be. The top part would should the video which would be shrunk to fit within the aspect ratio, and the bottom half would be the video info and comments that you can scroll through. Is this not how Youtube flex is supposed to be? I don't get controls on the bottom half of the screen. I get that in some other apps - like Netflix which has controls on the bottom half. But not in Youtube.
    According to this video:

This is how it's working for her:
    YouTube Flex Mode Not Working-screenshot_20210924-104728_youtube.jpg
    09-24-2021 09:50 AM
    This may sound dumb, but what you can try (and this is what I would try if I had this issue, better yet, if I had my phone already):

• Go into Labs and DISABLE the Flex Mode
    • Go into YouTube Settings and Clear CACHE (not Data)
    • Reboot Phone
    • Go into Labs and ENABLE Flex Mode
    • Test and see if it works then
    09-24-2021 11:12 AM
    This may sound dumb, but what you can try (and this is what I would try if I had this issue, better yet, if I had my phone already):

• Go into Labs and DISABLE the Flex Mode
    • Go into YouTube Settings and Clear CACHE (not Data)
    • Reboot Phone
    • Go into Labs and ENABLE Flex Mode
    • Test and see if it works then
    Thank you, but unfortunately that's not an option.

There is no overarching Flex Mode on/off switch, nor the ability to enable/disable it for YouTube individually as you can for other applications.

The 3 dots in the upper right in the top picture is just "About Flex Mode."
    YouTube Flex Mode Not Working-collagemaker_20210924_124655897.jpg
    09-24-2021 11:50 AM
    Ah, okay, understood. I wish I had my phone so I could have seen this.

(soon, it's shipped, just waiting to get here!)
    09-24-2021 12:00 PM
    According to this video:

This is how it's working for her:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210924-104728_YouTube.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	491.1 KB 
ID:	337363
    I don't think she's using Youtube for that shot. That's how some of my other video apps look - but not Youtube.
    09-24-2021 12:13 PM
    I don't think she's using Youtube for that shot. That's how some of my other video apps look - but not Youtube.
    Hmmm... I'll double check the video again... I thought she was using YouTube. Wouldn't be the first, won't be the last, time that I've been wrong... but do NOT tell my son that, lol.
    09-24-2021 12:23 PM
    she's not using YouTube, probably netflix or some other video streaming app. YouTube Flex mode will show comments and other recommended videos on the bottom screen.
    09-24-2021 01:35 PM
    she's not using YouTube, probably netflix or some other video streaming app. YouTube Flex mode will show comments and other recommended videos on the bottom screen.
    Which is what I'm seeing, thank you.

I'd still prefer the video stay full screen as it is in my picture, rather than be a square.
    09-24-2021 01:48 PM