Why doesn't Samsung Smart Switch transfer all text messages?

RobertLloyd

Sep 25, 2021
Visit site
My old phone was an LG Stylo 4.
My new phone is a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3.

I installed and ran Samsung Smart Switch on both phones.
It seemed to transfer most of the text messages, but not all.
On many text conversations I've noticed the most recent five text messages are missing.

I'm wondering if I should run the Smart Switch again to redo the transfer.
I'm also wondering if I use SMS backup and restore to "fill in the holes" if the apps are compatible with each other.

I know SMS Backup and Restore checks for duplicates if there was a failure with a restore. For example, one time I had to run SMS Backup and restore twice and it checked for duplicates to only fill in the missing messages. I don't know if this compatibility exists between two different applications like SMS Backup and Restore and Smart Switch.

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't understand how some conversation threads are missing texts and others are just fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the original Galaxy Fold forum to the Z Fold3 forum.

RobertLloyd

Sep 25, 2021
Visit site
I love using SMS backup and restore but since I already used Samsung smartswitch, is sms backup and restore intelligent enough to detect text duplicates if smart switch made the first transfer? Or does SMS backup and restore only detect duplicate texts if it did the first transfer?

I'm just worried using a different app to correct smart switch's errors could possibly lead to text duplicates

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I love using SMS backup and restore but since I already used Samsung smartswitch, is sms backup and restore intelligent enough to detect text duplicates if smart switch made the first transfer? Or does SMS backup and restore only detect duplicate texts if it did the first transfer?

I'm just worried using a different app to correct smart switch's errors could possibly lead to text duplicates
I've never done it with text there already.. Might want to try clear data on text appp and do restore soon after it...

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Yes. There is a setting to select to remove dupes and it's by default. It's under advanced settings when you select restore. I've never had it restore duplicate messages.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't have issue with my messages being transferred to my new one. I get everything and never duplicate.