What about no camera on the inside screen

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The more I think about this, the more I start thinking the camera on the inside screen is really a waste.

There's a a camera on the back for the high quality pictures we want to take. There's a camera on the front screen that we can use for those great Facebook selfies we, not I, need and conference calls. Do we really need a camera on the inside screen? Before answering that...

Think about this...if there was no camera on the inside screen, there would be room for a SD card. There would be room for a 3.5 aux jack. I know some think the SD card is dead, but it isn't for everyone. The 3.5 jack is dying, but again not for everyone. I just think we really don't need 3 cameras on the phone, I'm counting the back as 1 camera. We can have a true inside screen with no holes, although the under screen camera does a good job hiding it. And there would be room for a SD card that is still a desired option for a lot of people. I personally think Samsung could use that real estate for better things then 3 cameras. Thoughts???

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
SD cards in phones have become niche, vast majority of users didn't even use one 5 years ago.

While I like the AUX, those do actually eat up a lot of internal space and I've had mine fail on 2 Samsung phones, only hardware issue I've ever had with a Samsung product. Lol

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
SD cards in phones have become niche, vast majority of users didn't even use one 5 years ago.

While I like the AUX, those do actually eat up a lot of internal space and I've had mine fail on 2 Samsung phones, only hardware issue I've ever had with a Samsung product. Lol
I talk to a lot of people that know nothing about these forums and are not on the geek side of wanting the new all the time and they all say they would like to see a SD card, that was their main reason for having Android, one even switched to iPhone for his new phone because as he said, why not ,the sd card was what the difference was that he was using Samsung for and for the average user, the iPhone just works, they aren't into the customization. They talk, text, and do social media, the iPhone does those just fine.

I was talking to a group of friends and we were discussing the fold 3 since I have it. That's how I came up with this topic, they and I were starting to think why does there need to be a camera on the inside screen. I didn't give it much thought untill we were talking about it. Most people aren't tech savvy on phones like us in here, so it was an interesting discussion coming from people that don't buy phones every year or 6 months for some of us. So I disagree, it's not a niche, it's not as popular as it was one day, but there's still people that like it, and there a spot for it that's being used for something not even necessary. Just thoughts

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So, we are kind of locked on SD card is dying and the 3.5 jack is old. So let's throw this in the mix

Let's say if there was no inside screen camera Samsung could put a 5200 MAH battery in the phone. How many would see the inside camera not as needed now?

Please don't say the camera size wouldn't make enough room for that much bigger battery, I know this. I'm just throwing a theory out there..new battery tech came out, and with the room provided they can do it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Agree, plus the inside screen camera takes awful pictures so it's just a waste tbh.
Exactly, but the inside camera is only good for selfies for Facebook or conference calls... IMO the pictures don't have to be top quality. The back camera is where we need to be concerned about camera quality.

I'm grateful for the under screen camera on the fold 3, I would pay extra to have no front camera on any phone, I never use it, ever.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Inside camera is needed to take office video calls and watch shared content on bigger screen while on the go. Quality of camera doesn't matter and it does great job. It solved problem for me to carry my laptop all the time.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Inside camera is needed to take office video calls and watch shared content on bigger screen while on the go. Quality of camera doesn't matter and it does great job. It solved problem for me to carry my laptop all the time.
This, for those of us that use this as a business phone.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I definitely want an inside camera and I don't want a crap one ..we've improved so many things on phones and this should not be left to the waste side ..This last one under display gets the job done but it's a downgrade .. IMO

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I definitely want an inside camera and I don't want a crap one ..we've improved so many things on phones and this should not be left to the waste side ..This last one under display gets the job done but it's a downgrade .. IMO
I really don't think the inside camera has to be great. There really isn't that many uses for that camera other than video conferencing and that type of things imo

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I really don't think the inside camera has to be great. There really isn't that many uses for that camera other than video conferencing and that type of things imo
I just think it doesn't take much to get a good performance inside camera ..I'm not looking for a front camera upgrade just not a downgrade which I think this one is compared to others ...only because you don't want to see a punch hole..

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just think it doesn't take much to get a good performance inside camera ..I'm not looking for a front camera upgrade just not a downgrade which I think this one is compared to others ...only because you don't want to see a punch hole..
Not everyone needs a camera on the front screen. So we need to suffer seeing a "punch hole" so some can have a "better" camera for something the 4 MP is more then enough for conference calls and selfies.

I would rather have no front camera, inside on the fold, but the under screen is a nice compromise for everyone. It gets the job done for really the only purpose of the inside camera, and it blends the hole in the screen for those of us that have no use for it. I don't see this as a downgrade, it's a upgrade as it hides the hole and the camera does what it needs to do.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Not everyone needs a camera on the front screen. So we need to suffer seeing a "punch hole" so some can have a "better" camera for something the 4 MP is more then enough for conference calls and selfies.

I would rather have no front camera, inside on the fold, but the under screen is a nice compromise for everyone. It gets the job done for really the only purpose of the inside camera, and it blends the hole in the screen for those of us that have no use for it. I don't see this as a downgrade, it's a upgrade as it hides the hole and the camera does what it needs to do.
Subjective but the bottom line is his camera is not better than the previous so it's a downgrade. I understand you don't want to see the punch hole but that's visual. That has nothing to do with the camera itself. So if you want to have no punch hole at least have a camera that's as good as the previous in this method. That's my point..