So, I had this conversation the other day...

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
... with someone who was trying to convince me that the Z Fold 3 (and all Foldables) are just Gimmicks and have no substance to them and they are just a way to get more money from consumers ...

Of course, I listened and wasn't convinced of his arguments that this thing will never "sell well" and we won't see any more foldables in the future from anyone...

Wow, not sure which cool-aid this guy was drinking, but the facts tell me that this guy is reading the wrong reports on sales and desirability of these folding phones. LOL!

THEN, I took out my Fold 3, showed him how wrong he was and he was adamant about this stance for about 3 minutes and changed his tune.

At least this guy was able to admit when he was wrong, but there are others out there that are still touting that this folding thing is a fad and will go away. :(

Anyway, not much point to this post, just wanted to share. :D

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I find that usually the people that take that stand have no clue how good the phone is. How far it's come or even have one in their hands but they just make these assumptions that it's a gimmick. They look at the price and they assume it's all about money and nothing else. So it's good that you were able to set him straight and hopefully more people stop thinking this way.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I find that usually the people that take that stand have no clue how good the phone is. How far it's come or even have one in their hands but they just make these assumptions that it's a gimmick. They look at the price and they assume it's all about money and nothing else. So it's good that you were able to set him straight and hopefully more people stop thinking this way.
That part. People instantly see the price and say it's overrated(while secretly wanting one) and not doing the research to see that with a trade in they can get it for a reasonable price. Sure 1,800 may be a lot, but features and price are very comparable to others on the market not to mention no one is touching Samsung in the foldable department. That commands a premium on it's own.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That part. People instantly see the price and say it's overrated(while secretly wanting one) and not doing the research to see that with a trade in they can get it for a reasonable price. Sure 1,800 may be a lot, but features and price are very comparable to others on the market not to mention no one is touching Samsung in the foldable department. That commands a premium on it's own.

Yeah, and I have saved a screenshot of my order page from Samsung because out of pocket, this phone only cost me $927USD and I got the Phone, Leather Case, new Buds, Stylus 3 months of premium services from: Spotify, YouTube, Hulu and XM Radio Streaming and a Discount Code for a Watch 4 which ended up costing me $125 after discounts and everything (adding it to this order).

They made it REALLY hard to say no. LOL!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The fold 3 and flip 3 got people's eyes more open to foldable devices with their commercial everywhere , i can see this becoming more popular device down the road with its compact size and who else will lead this but Samsung . They did it with Note series when everyone said that brick is too much to carry around then everyone followed that path , same for the fold .

Edit: its my favorite device at the moment.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the Fold 3. When I look at it, all I see is that giant ugly crease and obscene weight. She doesn't really notice either and likes it. I have zero desire for one and can't see the lure, but to each their own.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My wife has the Fold 3. When I look at it, all I see is that giant ugly crease and obscene weight. She doesn't really notice either and likes it. I have zero desire for one and can't see the lure, but to each their own.
You know the wife is always Right

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So the "Issue" with the fold in the middle of the screen.

After a few hours, you just don't see it. I feel it when using my phone open, but it does not bother me. It is just a minor bump and the though it gone once I am not running my fingers over it. Does not impact my gaming at all either.

BUT, as you said, to each their own. :D

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
At least the guy wasn't a full out rotten fruit fanboy. The people that have seen me using the Fold3 have been in one of two categories. Whiners crying about how the phone is gimicky and it is too big and bulky, all of which are rotten fruit fanboys. The others were very interested in the Fold3 and even asked to try it out, several showed interest in upgrading to the Fold3 in the near future, all were android users.

I am not trying to start a fight or troll. I am just stating the truth as I have seen it. Even looking online you can see the same thing. This site is one where the majority of the members are actually open minded and not swayed by popular thinking and hype.

Poshworld

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
You are right! The only people I've seen whining about the fold being gimmicky are iphone users lol. The only reason they are sour is because boring Apple hasn't made one. Watch them tout it as the most revolutionary device once Apple makes one. The Android users who check my foldables out love it and wish they could afford and a few have concerns about screen durability but still think it's awesome! The Apple fan boys are jealous and sore because they have to keep using their boring phones

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
At least the guy wasn't a full out rotten fruit fanboy. The people that have seen me using the Fold3 have been in one of two categories. Whiners crying about how the phone is gimicky and it is too big and bulky, all of which are rotten fruit fanboys. The others were very interested in the Fold3 and even asked to try it out, several showed interest in upgrading to the Fold3 in the near future, all were android users.

I am not trying to start a fight or troll. I am just stating the truth as I have seen it. Even looking online you can see the same thing. This site is one where the majority of the members are actually open minded and not swayed by popular thinking and hype.

You are right! The only people I've seen whining about the fold being gimmicky are iphone users lol. The only reason they are sour is because boring Apple hasn't made one. Watch them tout it as the most revolutionary device once Apple makes one. The Android users who check my foldables out love it and wish they could afford and a few have concerns about screen durability but still think it's awesome! The Apple fan boys are jealous and sore because they have to keep using their boring phones

You know. I just cannot WAIT for a couple more years to go by and watch these "Fruit Fan Boi's" go falling over themselves to tout how Apple FINALLY made a foldable and then watch them try and convince the world that Apple did it FIRST... >.<

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
... with someone who was trying to convince me that the Z Fold 3 (and all Foldables) are just Gimmicks and have no substance to them and they are just a way to get more money from consumers ...

Of course, I listened and wasn't convinced of his arguments that this thing will never "sell well" and we won't see any more foldables in the future from anyone...

Wow, not sure which cool-aid this guy was drinking, but the facts tell me that this guy is reading the wrong reports on sales and desirability of these folding phones. LOL!

THEN, I took out my Fold 3, showed him how wrong he was and he was adamant about this stance for about 3 minutes and changed his tune.

At least this guy was able to admit when he was wrong, but there are others out there that are still touting that this folding thing is a fad and will go away. :(

Anyway, not much point to this post, just wanted to share. :D
I have the fold 3, and for the most part, I like it, but at the end of the day. It is just about money. The specs on this phone could and should have been better for the price.